MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Azizul - Re. the two "Hard Facts" - it's the legal entity that will die. The so-called airline - MAS, if that was referring to the airline - is a virtual entity and will effectively remain.

Malaysian Airline System Bhd, trading as Malaysia Airlines, will disappear. So, when the employer disappears, obviously everybody will automatically be ex-employees..as one cannot work for thin air.

A new entity, Malaysia Airlines Bhd, will be / has been created - to be the legal entity that will supposedly operate the airline, which may trade as Malaysia Airlines, MASAir, or maybe, Flymojo.

Edited by Mushrif A

Better? I don't think so. It's overly simplistic.

Some of the best ideas in life are the simplest ideas, e.g. Eddison's light bulb. But it changed the lives of everyone!

Cutting 6,000 Jobs Unavoidable For MAS, Says Ex-transport Minister

KUALA LUMPUR, March 30 (Bernama) -- Ailing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is facing a "do-or-die" situation and its plan to cut 6,000 jobs is unavoidable and should proceed, former Transport Minister Tan Sri Ong Tee Keat said Monday.
Khazanah Nasional Bhd, which owns MAS, had done thorough reassessments under its RM6 billion Recovery Plan for the national carrier and the need to rightsize the workforce was critical to the plan, he said.
Ong said this in response to resistance within the airline's employees' unions which have appealed to Khazanah and the government to abort the proposed massive retrenchment exercise which involves about one-third of its workforce.
"We can't afford to be in our comfort zone forever. If at all, we say that we have been doing this for how many years, for ages why can't we continue with it, then what recovery plan or what change are we talking about?," he said
"Now if we are going to fall into the same old trap, that is mere monetary aid, we want to be bailed out by the government and that's it. So now it's a choice we have to make, a mere bailout or genuine and meaningful revival of the national carrier.
"I think these are the two main things and we have to make a very tough and firm decision for the nation's interest," he told Bernama.
Ong stressed that right from the beginning, everybody knew that the layoffs were unavoidable and sufficient engagements had been done with the various labour unions and by now, the lay-off issue should be water under the bridge.
"And what is next is perhaps is the selection of the suitable talents, and I believe when the necessity to rightsize to obtain the optimal size of workforce is brought up, certainly this is the matter of do or die for the national carrier.
"Meaning not that Khazanah is going all-out for the layoff or removal of any staff, but rather the matter of survival, whether we want the new company, the new MAS to survive, to keep it afloat or otherwise," he added.
As part of a RM6 billion restructuring aimed at returning the carrier to profit within three years, Khazanah had taken MAS private last year.
MAS' restructuring includes the rightsizing of its staff.
The comprehensive talent assessment exercise was completed early February, covered approximately 20,000 employees where employees' past performance, experience, qualifications, behavioral traits, disciplinary records, functional competencies as well as aspiration to join MAS NewCo were taken into consideration.
The assessment also saw MAS' top 500 senior executives undergoing a three-hour behavioural interview with an independent consultant.
The Corporate Development Centre is set to begin operations by April 1, 2015 to provide avenues and opportunities for the outplacement and reskilling of exiting MAS staff.
The centre provides exiting employees access to a broad range of services, which includes talent profiling, career counselling, basic and detailed training, job-seeking skills, entrepreneurship, retirement planning and placement.
The latest move in the restructuring of the national airline saw the appointment of Christoph Mueller as its managing director and group chief executive officer had been brought forward to May 1 from July.
This will allow Mueller to lead the company's restructuring efforts and allow appropriate time for the transition into MAS NewCo, Malaysia Airlines Bhd.
Commenting on the unions' assertion that that core asset of an airline is "the skills, expertise and goodwill of employees," and that the workforce should not be traded as a commodity, Ong reiterated that at this juncture it was pointless to talk about sentiment because failure was no longer an option and the ongoing recovery plan should be the last for MAS.
"It's a matter of do or die for the national carrier. You might have the expertise, talent and all that. But if at all the workforce is considered overly bloated, you need to trim it down for the sake of survival and this is a very tough decision to make.
"In this respect, we were given the assurance that the 6,000 employees would be re-skilled, re-trained and re-deployed. Meaning they would get a job ultimately, unless you chose not to adapt to such changes.
"And on top of that, now the government should also be mindful of some of the main causes for our failure in running MAS.
"We said time and time again, wasteful spending, or even the contracts that would deemed non-conducive to MAS, all this have to be reviewed. And all this has been said.
"And of course it's not fair to say that only the 6,000 people be made the excuse for the failure of MAS," he said.

not route cut, but MH ended codeshare with CZ

China Southern / Malaysia Airlines Ends Codeshare Partnership in Jan 2015

China Southern and Malaysia Airlines has ended their codeshare partnership after 8 years, with the last codeshare flight operated on 19JAN15. The two launched codeshare service on 01JAN08. Following routes displayed both CZ and MH code prior to the end of codeshare service.

China Southern operated by Malaysia Airlines
Kuala Lumpur – Beijing
Kuala Lumpur – Guangzhou
Kuala Lumpur – Kota Kinabalu
Kuala Lumpur – Kuching
Kuala Lumpur – Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur – Penang
Kuala Lumpur – Shanghai Pu Dong
Kuala Lumpur – Singapore

Malaysia Airlines operated by China Southern
Guangzhou – Changsha
Guangzhou – Chengdu
Guangzhou – Guilin
Guangzhou – Kuala Lumpur
Guangzhou – Nanning
Guangzhou – Wuhan

http://airlineroute.net/2015/04/07/czmh-codeshare-jan15cxld/

Edited by Yang Zulhilmi

i guess this is just seasonal reduction?

-----

Malaysia Airlines NS15 Melbourne Service Reductions

Malaysia Airlines in Northern Summer 2015 season is adjusting operational frequencies on Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne route, due to seasonal demands. The airline will reduce operations from 21 to 19 weekly from 01MAY15 to 21JUN15, and from 03AUG15 to 15SEP15 (KUL departure). Planned schedule as follow.

MH129 KUL1030 – 2025MEL 333 D
MH147 KUL2015 – 0600+1MEL 772 x13
MH149 KUL2350 – 0945+1MEL 333 D

MH128 MEL0005 – 0640KUL 333 D
MH146 MEL0805 – 1415KUL 772 x24
MH148 MEL1405 – 2040KUL 333 D

http://airlineroute.net/2015/04/15/mh-mel-s15/

Edited by Yang Zulhilmi

i guess this is just seasonal reduction?

-----

Malaysia Airlines NS15 Melbourne Service Reductions

Malaysia Airlines in Northern Summer 2015 season is adjusting operational frequencies on Kuala Lumpur – Melbourne route, due to seasonal demands. The airline will reduce operations from 21 to 19 weekly from 01MAY15 to 21JUN15, and from 03AUG15 to 15SEP15 (KUL departure). Planned schedule as follow.

MH129 KUL1030 – 2025MEL 333 D

MH147 KUL2015 – 0600+1MEL 772 x13

MH149 KUL2350 – 0945+1MEL 333 D

MH128 MEL0005 – 0640KUL 333 D

MH146 MEL0805 – 1415KUL 772 x24

MH148 MEL1405 – 2040KUL 333 D

http://airlineroute.net/2015/04/15/mh-mel-s15/

Yeah, just seasonal - I was looking in the last quarter of this year and it's showing back to 3x daily and MH149/148 back to 772

Yeah, just seasonal - I was looking in the last quarter of this year and it's showing back to 3x daily and MH149/148 back to 772

ah, previously i thought MAS will reduce the frequency back to just 2x daily, caused by the overcapacity.

ah, previously i thought MAS will reduce the frequency back to just 2x daily, caused by the overcapacity.

I believe they mentioned before that they will maintain this overcapacity for now to gain back the confidence of the OZ folks and then once they have reached their goal, they will be able to fill their seats on the Kangaroo Route.

Unconfirmed reports that KUL-FRA will be cut with effective from May 29. It has not been reflected on the GDS yet, but odd that they are cutting this right before the summer peak season.

Edited by Craig

Woah, big decision to make... Lufthansa will be more than happy with this! Maybe we can see an increase in flights by them to daily or even a codeshare with MAS?

Woah, big decision to make... Lufthansa will be more than happy with this! Maybe we can see an increase in flights by them to daily or even a codeshare with MAS?

LH is currently offering a daily non-stop flight between FRA and KUL.

Oops, my bad! I thought it was 5 x weekly. Hopefully they might upgrade their aircraft or increase flights further

Oops, my bad! I thought it was 5 x weekly. Hopefully they might upgrade their aircraft or increase flights further

LH flew 5x A343 for NW14/15 and now it's daily A343 for NS15 and it's back to 5 weekly but on B744 for NS15/16. NS16 shows daily A343 but that's probably just a placeholder.

Problem for both MH and LH is that there aren't any interline connections between the two - KUL is not a huge O&D destination and connections are limited beyond KUL for LH whilst connections are limited beyond FRA for MH (with the exception of TATL codeshare with AA; all AA destinations that are served via FRA can be served via CDG/LHR, but much easier connection for passengers at FRA than at LHR/CDG, but having that said, MY-US traffic is minimal).

Edited by Craig

From the official announcement there, can conclude the German fella not quite installed properly yet ?

Drop more ya MAS. After all, no matter how many route you cut, you will still ended up making a big loss every single year. Might as well drop all other European routes: London, Paris and Amsterdam as well. Selling both LHR pairs can generate few millions in liquidity. Sell off all A380 to other operators; if no buyer, sell to scrappers. Retire those ancient B777....

In conclusion, MAS will become like AirAsia....B737 and A330 doing regional route only......

Basically mh current fleet mix couldn't optimize yield. Until taken delivery of new fleet, don't expect mh could mount effective competition or optimize yield. Won't be a surprise if air transport commission impose minimum fare on every sector to protect mh.

cant imagine that MAS will drop Frankfurt and yet still maintain Istanbul???

Why not? Of course I don't have the numbers, but Malaysia conducts a lot of business with Turkey. Besides, it is also a top tourist destination for Malaysians and I imagine Frankfurt is not quite..

Edited by jani