MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Blanket is usually given and placed on the seats for international flights, especially for 4 hours.

I was on CX and they don't even serve soft drinks, beers or red wine anymore... so much so of flying Airlines of the year.

I did HKG - KUL and back a few weeks ago on MH. They did serve beers and red wine on both sectors (HKG-KUL was a morning departure). In fact passengers were given a whole can of beer.

I'm surprised CX doesn't do that... Their fares ex HKG are ridiculously expensive

I was on CX and they don't even serve soft drinks, beers or red wine anymore... so much so of flying Airlines of the year.

That seems very unusual. Perhaps due to the time of the day they didn't serve booze (though I haven't flown CX Y in a long time so I can't say for sure) but soft drinks are definitely loaded. Did they maybe run out of the choice of drink you wanted?

That seems very unusual. Perhaps due to the time of the day they didn't serve booze (though I haven't flown CX Y in a long time so I can't say for sure) but soft drinks are definitely loaded. Did they maybe run out of the choice of drink you wanted?

Only Orange Juice, Apple Juice on the trolley. no other drinks at all. I asked for soft drinks like diet coke... the stewardess nodded but never returned to me with drinks... and i couldn't bother and fall asleep till the flight landed.

Did they serve any meal?

They did serve meal. but just limited choices of drinks with only juices and coffee.

Only Orange Juice, Apple Juice on the trolley. no other drinks at all. I asked for soft drinks like diet coke... the stewardess nodded but never returned to me with drinks... and i couldn't bother and fall asleep till the flight landed.

They did serve meal. but just limited choices of drinks with only juices and coffee.

If I remember correctly, CX serve drinks (wine, whisky, soft drinks, etc from a drink cart) before meal service. Hence, drinks on food cart is limited. However, drinks is freely available after meal service.

Edited by KK Lee

If I remember correctly, CX serve drinks (wine, whisky, soft drinks, etc from a drink cart) before meal service. Hence, drinks on food cart is limited. However, drinks is freely available after meal service.

Whisky? Probably on business class. But can't be no soft drinks or wine/beer on the cart? I used to take CX too to HKG like 3 years ago, they did place on the carts and served beers/juice/soft drinks before the meal too.

Will see tomorrow's flight back to KUL.

Though of all these, still worth to take CX as they're charging only 2.6k MYR from HKG to EWR!

Khazanah invites bids for advisory role in MAS restructuring plan

from: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/khazanah-invites-bids-for-advisory-role-in-mas-restructuring-plan

Maybe the MW Armchair CEO consortium should put in a bid too :D

This news tallies with the info that I managed to steal from KM.

Khazanah said to invite restructuring adviser pitches for MAS

One of the shareholders said he bought 2 million MAS shares for 33 sen/share before the 27 sen/share offer by Khazanah. But he feels very pity to those who bought the shares when the price was at RM7 or RM8. Just imagine all that investment almost 'lesap' just like that.

I actually think it's the right thing to do by staying aggressive in Australia. If they don't give up ground now, it will be worth it in the long run.

I think it's wise that MAS doesn't reduce it's footprint in Australia. The long-term prospects are generally good. A lot of effort has been made in the last couple of years to increase MAS' market share in Australia. Cutting back now would undo all the hard work. And it would be even more difficult and costly for MAS to regain it's market share in future if it decides to cut back now, especially at slot-restricted Sydney and Melbourne.

The same goes for the rest of MAS' network too. It's medium and long-haul operations are already thin.

You do not want to give up existing slots at LHR, AMS, CDG and FRA. Not for any price. Those slots are worth another bailout in terms of value if MAS wants them back years from now.

While the 2 tragedies have dented MAS' image, it's important to look at the big picture and long-term gains.

They've got to get things right fast.

Get rid of non-core entities like ground handling. They can follow SIA's strategy years ago in what they did with SATS.

In engineering and MRO, again SIA provides a good template with what they've done with SIAEC. MAS' engineering assets in Subang - and Subang airport itself - is every MRO company's dream with it's ample land and long runway. But the business model must be right. MAS' engineering unit must be decoupled from the airline. MAS should remain as the parent company or majority shareholder.

In cargo, they've got to consolidate their fleet. Perhaps it would be wise to even sell off their freighters completely and not maintain any fixed assets. A leasing program for freighters might be more cost effective in the cargo market.

Trim headcount, where necessary, at all levels.

Fleet renewal shouldn't take a back seat because of all the restructuring. If anything, it should be at the core of it. Here, MAS has to decide if it sees the A380 as part of it's future plans. Very few airlines actually make money out of it. The ones that do are able to do so because either they have the economics of scale and volume (Emirates) or the yields are high (British Airways, especially with its transatlantic routes). It's hard to see how MAS can achieve break even on the A380 consistently. Perhaps it would be a good idea to cut their losses and get rid of the A380s. A mix of B777-9Xs and A350-900s might suit an airline like MAS better. They must also start buying either the MAX or NEO for their narrow-body operations.

Edited by geoff.leo

I actually think it's the right thing to do by staying aggressive in Australia. If they don't give up ground now, it will be worth it in the long run.

Aussies actually prefer MH to QF. So it is probably worth sticking at it and not give up market share.

I think it's wise that MAS doesn't reduce it's footprint in Australia. The long-term prospects are generally good. A lot of effort has been made in the last couple of years to increase MAS' market share in Australia. Cutting back now would undo all the hard work. And it would be even more difficult and costly for MAS to regain it's market share in future if it decides to cut back now, especially at slot-restricted Sydney and Melbourne.

The same goes for the rest of MAS' network too. It's medium and long-haul operations are already thin.

You do not want to give up existing slots at LHR, AMS, CDG and FRA. Not for any price. Those slots are worth another bailout in terms of value if MAS wants them back years from now.

While the 2 tragedies have dented MAS' image, it's important to look at the big picture and long-term gains.

They've got to get things right fast.

Get rid of non-core entities like ground handling. They can follow SIA's strategy years ago in what they did with SATS.

In engineering and MRO, again SIA provides a good template with what they've done with SIAEC. MAS' engineering assets in Subang - and Subang airport itself - is every MRO company's dream with it's ample land and long runway. But the business model must be right. MAS' engineering unit must be decoupled from the airline. MAS should remain as the parent company or majority shareholder.

In cargo, they've got to consolidate their fleet. Perhaps it would be wise to even sell off their freighters completely and not maintain any fixed assets. A leasing program for freighters might be more cost effective in the cargo market.

Trim headcount, where necessary, at all levels.

Fleet renewal shouldn't take a back seat because of all the restructuring. If anything, it should be at the core of it. Here, MAS has to decide if it sees the A380 as part of it's future plans. Very few airlines actually make money out of it. The ones that do are able to do so because either they have the economics of scale and volume (Emirates) or the yields are high (British Airways, especially with its transatlantic routes). It's hard to see how MAS can achieve break even on the A380 consistently. Perhaps it would be a good idea to cut their losses and get rid of the A380s. A mix of B777-9Xs and A350-900s might suit an airline like MAS better. They must also start buying either the MAX or NEO for their narrow-body operations.

Yes MAS Engineering should be incorporated and, perhaps, have its own IPO in a few years.

All the A380s are leased and I believe the A332Fs are also leased. MAS does not own that many wide bodied aircraft. Even the majority of the B772s that are to be retired are leased.

Khazanah Should Be Left Alone To Steer MAS Back To Profitability

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 20 (Bernama) -- Khazanah Nasional Bhd, the government's investment arm, should be left alone to steer financially-troubled Malaysia Airlines (MAS) back to profitability.

Federation of Chinese Associations Malaysia Deputy Secretary General (Hua Zong) Datuk Prof Dr Chin Yew Sin strongly feels that one has to be realistic in that, there is already a gameplan in place by Khazanah, to revitalise the national airline.
"And it should not be derailed just because a private company has made a bid," he added, in the light of newly-formed Jentayu Danaraksa (JD), having proposed an alternate plan to save loss-making MAS.
"I think the government has to stick to its plan, as if you let somebody else take over, then Khazanah would not have a free hand in restructuring (MAS)," said Chin, whose outfit represents all the major Chinese associations throughout the country.
"In addition, the other company's proposal is not so comprehensive. It says it wants to save 6,000 jobs, when actually it's impossible, as everyone knows that MAS has too many at (around) 20,000 workers," the prominent businessman said.
JD was reportedly set up in August by former aviation industry executives and their business partners.
With MAS being the pride of the nation, Chin said "the government must make sure that it can be turned around and put (it) back on (its) proper footing."
Commenting on JD's proposal, he said it is easy if the company just took over the money-making operations of the national airline.
Citing an analogy from toll roads, Chin said profits can be easily made "if I can take over tolls assets that make money and discard the ones that don't."
He said some major challenges that affected the viability of MAS had already been made known, and it included having too many employees, high-priced suppliers and flights to non-profitable routes.
"So what's needed now is to fix the problems (at MAS) and do it without political interference," he added.
Chin is optimistic that MAS can be turned around if left to professionals to do the job as other airlines had done it before.
"So, I don't think the government should accept any offer from the private sector right now," he said, adding, the company which made the turnaround proposal may not have the whole picture and only wanted to buy over certain assets of MAS.
"This is not good as the government needs a holistic solution to resolve the MAS problem once and for all," he said.
Chin said a private company may also find it difficult to come up with the funding which MAS needs.
"It will need to rely on banks and they are very careful with their lending now as MAS' gearing is relatively high at 290 per cent.
"But with Khazanah's funding, its gearing will fall to 130 per cent. So a private company coming in to facilitate MAS' revival will need deeper pockets than the RM6 billion proposed by Khazanah in its 12-point plan," he added.
Commenting on support from JD for the Malaysian Airline System Employees Union, the largest union in MAS, Chin said: "I think there are several reasons why MAS is losing money. Among them is that it has too many staff. It is also a commonly known fact that MAS' supplies are too expensive."

Aussies actually prefer MH to QF. So it is probably worth sticking at it and not give up market share.

Yes MAS Engineering should be incorporated and, perhaps, have its own IPO in a few years.

All the A380s are leased and I believe the A332Fs are also leased. MAS does not own that many wide bodied aircraft. Even the majority of the B772s that are to be retired are leased.

Yes, indeed. Malaysia Airlines does own two B777s and two B744s, I think the two youngest. Not sure if the two youngest B744 have been sold off.

All four were bought back from PMB after MH returned to profit a few years during IJ time. Pre-AJ and Tengku Azmil era....

Edited by JuliusWong

Bill to administer MAS tabled
The Malaysian Airline System Bhd (Administration) Bill 2014 which facilitates an administrator to manage the beleaguered airline was tabled for first reading at the Dewan Rakyat today
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/bill-to-administer-mas-tabled

So future bailouts will have legislative bite :blink:

Keep an eye out on the Red's share prices :D

Malaysia's MASwings to repositioned as a budget carrier
MASwings (MY, Kuching) is to be relaunched as an independent budget carrier in 2015 according to an official in Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund, Khazanah Nasional Berhad (KNB). Khazanah is in the process of restructuring Malaysia Airlines (MH, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) with a view unveiling a new, profitable, market-driven airline by 2017.
Speaking to AINOnline on condition of anonymity, the official said a revitalized MASwings will also be equipped with a fleet of four leased jets all of which will be based out of the resort town of Kota Kinabalu. Initial services will consist of flights to destinations in China.
Despite the change in business strategy, MASwings will continue to operate a fleet of fourteen ATR72-500s and -600s, and five DHC-6s on internal flights to the country's more remote regions as well as to Tarakan and Pontianak in Indonesia and Puerto Princesa in the Philippines.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/33150-malaysias-maswings-to-repositioned-as-a-budget-carrier

Edited by Yang Zulhilmi

MASwings (MY, Kuching) is to be relaunched as an independent budget carrier in 2015 according to an official in Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund, Khazanah Nasional Berhad (KNB). Khazanah is in the process of restructuring Malaysia Airlines (MH, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) with a view unveiling a new, profitable, market-driven airline by 2017.
Speaking to AINOnline on condition of anonymity, the official said a revitalized MASwings will also be equipped with a fleet of four leased jets all of which will be based out of the resort town of Kota Kinabalu. Initial services will consist of flights to destinations in China.
Despite the change in business strategy, MASwings will continue to operate a fleet of fourteen ATR72-500s and -600s, and five DHC-6s on internal flights to the country's more remote regions as well as to Tarakan and Pontianak in Indonesia and Puerto Princesa in the Philippines.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/33150-malaysias-maswings-to-repositioned-as-a-budget-carrier

Good news for East Malaysians...

..... the official said a revitalized MASwings will also be equipped with a fleet of four leased jets all of which will be based out of the resort town of Kota Kinabalu. Initial services will consist of flights to destinations in China.

Wonder how much of this has sound commercial basis to it ?

Or could it be some mind games in play with AK/D7

Which, incidentally had AK's ceo AO bringing up the issue of relocation to BKI's T1, after a long hiatus, issue of which is claimed has put the group's route expansion from BKI on hold

Yes, when was the last time AK group launched a new route from BKI ? :)

Malaysia Airlines posts worst quarterly loss since end-2011

In a filing to the stock exchange, Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) said its third-quarter net loss widened to RM576.1 million from RM375.4 million in the same period a year earlier. This is the worst quarterly loss for the airline since October-December 2011.

See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/malaysia-airlines-posts-worst-quarterly-loss-since-end-2011#sthash.9ccl46w4.dpuf

Doesn't raise an eyebrow does it - it's just numbers ? I think we're immune already :)

Edited by BC Tam

If that happens I wonder what would become of their BKI - LBU, BKI - LDU route. The fare is rather expensive and the route not so profitable I think. Scrap altogether?