MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Aviation price war ending as airlines tired of losing money, says Tony Fernandes

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/aviation-price-war-ending-as-airlines-tired-of-losing-money-says-tony-ferna

Awh, please don't let the good times be coming to an end ! :)

All the armchair airline CEOs now sure complain. Can't please everyone leh :)

Last yr I paid RM50 all in for KUL-SDK one-way on MH. It wasn't a mistake fare, so you do the math... on the fare paid (RM41, after removing the airport tax) per km.

Does anyone know when MH will come up with the details of the restructuring? I heard some rumour today that MH will terminate IST, AKL and AMS in the near future. Anyone can confirm it?

Khazanah is so good at creating more high income jobs. They stay true to PM's vision of high income nation by bringing in highly paid individuals whilst letting go thousands in sub 10k ringgit salary range

Malaysia Airlines extends Ahmad Jauhari’s contract for another year

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/malaysia-airlines-extends-ahmad-jauharis-contract-for-another-year#sthash.Ho13aF7G.dpuf

So, they retaining him to bear full brunt of staff discontentment on retrenchment/reassignment exercise ?

Finally a news. A new CRO and CFO are appointed. http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/mas-appoints-restructuring-financial-officers

CRO = Chief Restructuring Officer

CFO = Chief Financial Officer

Irish airlines outgoing chief tipped to lead MAS

Outgoing Aer Lingus chief executive officer Christoph Muller is tipped to lead loss-making Malaysia Airlines (MAS) after its latest restructuring, sources say.

See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/irish-airlines-outgoing-chief-tipped-to-lead-mas

Not sure of the arrangement.

It is a sinking ship and there is at least 3 captains - the old CEO, the CRO and the new Irish CEO. So who is actually the one in charged here? Does the CRO reporting to the new CEO? Or the new CEO is reporting to the CRO? And just imagine the overlapping in the job scope that will happen.

And in the most cliche and typical Malaysian aviation journo tingtong:

But, did not say where he would go next. Both Aer Lingus and MAS are part of the Oneworld alliance. "Mr Muller is the one for the job," a source told The Malaysian Insider.

1 word. Hello?

Wow...never thought what AerLingus has been doing all this years is a 'success'..

It is a sinking ship and there is at least 3 captains - the old CEO, the CRO and the new Irish CEO. So who is actually the one in charged here? Does the CRO reporting to the new CEO? Or the new CEO is reporting to the CRO? And just imagine the overlapping in the job scope that will happen.

How about the Admirals & Captains at Khazanah ? Not forgetting if "MAS Act" passes, then we may be blessed with a Minister or three to ensure everything runs smoothly ;)

CEO needs his team to execute his plan, for sure union will the first to complain. If no rumbling from union mean this is purely rumour.

anyways doubt Khazanah can be able to turnaround MAS in 3 to 4 years time even if at all. So far it says it identifies a few areas of weaknesses and issues but then again why didn't they find these or do something about it back in 2007 - or for that matter all along since then as they have been owning MH at 70% since then and were suppose to turn MH around all these time??

Now the main thing so far is that they come up with a new posts and change the people at the top ie the CEO and the CFO.

Do one think that really Khanzanah can even pull this restructuring off and turn MAS into a little profitable airline not just for a year or two of profitability but sustain it. Already with the impending Asean Open Sky policy, it will even be more difficult for MAS to compete - unless the government protects MAS and the open sky policy.

Christoph Mueller is a strong, no nonsense leader. If he does becomes MH CEO, he will take the MAS union head on. Aer Lingus realigned its business strategy to hybrid model, resisted Ryanair third takeover bid under him, expanded long haul destinations, did Virgin Atlantic wet lease agreement, started Aer Lingus Regional and recorded profits under his leadership. Most importantly, he improved the cost base by large margin, something MH can only dream of.

Edited by JuliusWong

10712702_10204311062669432_3174438180257

after getting this on my recent MH flight.....
my verdict is

"lantaklah apa nak jadi dengan MAS.....
nak lingkup pun lingkup lahhhh"

Edited by affendi osman

Then what's the point of flying FSC?

CEO needs his team to execute his plan, for sure union will the first to complain. If no rumbling from union mean this is purely rumour.

KK Lee, correct me if I'm wrong as I believe you are not from MAS. You have no idea about MAS Unions or Associations. These Unions and Associations are not strong but the Management is very very weak and lack in leadership. The management is also clueless where to take MAS; FSC or LCC or in between. Increase fare or reduce fare. To increase load factor or yield. But one thing for sure the management keep expanding management post by hiring people externally at high salary.

anyways doubt Khazanah can be able to turnaround MAS in 3 to 4 years time even if at all. So far it says it identifies a few areas of weaknesses and issues but then again why didn't they find these or do something about it back in 2007 - or for that matter all along since then as they have been owning MH at 70% since then and were suppose to turn MH around all these time??

Now the main thing so far is that they come up with a new posts and change the people at the top ie the CEO and the CFO.

Do one think that really Khanzanah can even pull this restructuring off and turn MAS into a little profitable airline not just for a year or two of profitability but sustain it. Already with the impending Asean Open Sky policy, it will even be more difficult for MAS to compete - unless the government protects MAS and the open sky policy.

Actually who messed up MAS. Khazanah, since 2001 MAS has lost 8.4 billion ringgit and nobody wanted to do anything?

Either the people who run Khazanah are so stupid or they some some hidden agenda.

Remember they failed on CCF with AK and people blamed the Unions. If the government really wanted it done, it would have been done. When the government ever listen to The trade unions?

KK Lee, correct me if I'm wrong as I believe you are not from MAS. You have no idea about MAS Unions or Associations. These Unions and Associations are not strong but the Management is very very weak and lack in leadership. The management is also clueless where to take MAS; FSC or LCC or in between. Increase fare or reduce fare. To increase load factor or yield. But one thing for sure the management keep expanding management post by hiring people externally at high salary.

I don't work for MAS but have heard gossips from friends in senior position. Hence if you traced back my posts will find I am critical of Mas management for many years.

Christoph Mueller is a strong, no nonsense leader. If he does becomes MH CEO, he will take the MAS union head on. Aer Lingus realigned its business strategy to hybrid model, resisted Ryanair third takeover bid under him, expanded long haul destinations, did Virgin Atlantic wet lease agreement, started Aer Lingus Regional and recorded profits under his leadership. Most importantly, he improved the cost base by large margin, something MH can only dream of.

I expect Christoph Muller is no less than this.

He needs to be like that to counter all the MAS union, Malaysian politicians, Khanazah people etc who will be meddling.

Hiring outsiders is a good move, as we expect this person to have a total fresh perspective about MAS and the government's affairs in between them.

He will be able to point out faults faster but not necessary be able to rectify it with immediate results. MAS is still every much an extended hand of the government, and when it involved trimming of workers and cronies, the issue can be quite tricky to tackle.

Now the question is, how much leeway will Khazanah or the government for that matter, to give when it comes to such issues?

Am sorry but at the moment, there isn't anyone in the government's closet to choose from that can take over the Captain's cap in MAS at the moment.