MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

It's not all bad news. Granted some not so good loads

Some examples of loads on flights i'm on next week:

MH408/20th - 4/37

MH409/20th - 7/60

MH20/22nd - 6/64/435

Then again, TG isn't doing fantastic either TG420/19th - 16/144 (cap 42/263)

Some other examples - my little brother is on MH146/20th - 12/37 (so yes, it's pretty bad ex australia)

Wow interesting data. Where can we obtain these data from?

Wow interesting data. Where can we obtain these data from?

That would be revealing a bit too much la - suffice to say it's not public information, but it's not exactly a national secret either.

Anyway, in short - not doing ok in some areas, doing ok some others. MH2/22nd is 0/54/435 as another point of reference. So, reasonable i guess.

Note that it's also rumored that Syed Mokhtar is in on Malindo as well. If somehow MAS and Malindo can work together that would be fantastic.

Malindo jet is not doing so well but the turboprop services are doing great. So if Malindo is used as "Project Sapphire", it should be highly interesting.

Malindo jet is not doing so well but the turboprop services are doing great. So if Malindo is used as "Project Sapphire", it should be highly interesting.

Malindo jet have a track record to cancel subload flights, few people are willing to risks their travelling plan to book in advance.

That would be revealing a bit too much la - suffice to say it's not public information, but it's not exactly a national secret either.

Anyway, in short - not doing ok in some areas, doing ok some others. MH2/22nd is 0/54/435 as another point of reference. So, reasonable i guess.

Thanks Suzanne, I understand the privacy concerns. Any idea on the loads on MH2 on the 28th of August and MH3 on the 15th of September? Thanks.

'He (Tan Sri Idris Jala) says the MAS management should religiously follow the Business Transformation Plan 2 (BTP2), launched during his tenure with the national carrier in 2008. The BTP2 consists of detailed, step-by-step processes for the airline to stay afloat.'

I thought it was the BTP2 that caused all the losses. That was why the Tengku was replaced by AJ.

If what IJ said is true, then there is no need for Khazanah to spend more billions on privatisation and restructuring - just ask AJ to religiously follow his BTP2 and cut the costs of restructuring again. ;)

'He (Tan Sri Idris Jala) says the MAS management should religiously follow the Business Transformation Plan 2 (BTP2), launched during his tenure with the national carrier in 2008. The BTP2 consists of detailed, step-by-step processes for the airline to stay afloat.'

Thought IJ was the person destroyed MH branding?

Malaysia Airlines steps up sales blitz, almost doubling commission for Australian travel agents

It means an agent could earn more than $600 for a return business class fare from Sydney to London, via Kuala Lumpur, or about $200 for a return economy fare.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/malaysia-airlines-steps-up-sales-blitz-almost-doubling-commission-for-australian-travel-agents/story-fnizu68q-1227028537040

Brahim’s says played vital role in previous MAS turnaround

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/money/article/brahims-says-played-vital-role-in-previous-mas-turnaround

when the supposed 'villain' turns into hero...read the vomit inducing convoluted justifications. Need I say more?

As at the end of last year, catering costs amounted to 1.8% of MAS’ overall expenditure, a figure that does not look imposing.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2014/08/09/Firms-whose-fates-are-linked-to-MAS/

Only 1.8 %. Yes the catering contract is lopsided, but there is more to MAS' woes than just the catering story.

Loads although good to use as a guage but in itself is not a good measure as one can have 90% or even 100% load but still making a loss. Its the Yield that matters most.

In any case, doubt Khazanah can seriously turn MAS around even by the 3rd or 4th year - as since its a govt-owned company, it would be very difficult to cut jobs amidst the strong and political Unions. MAS have more employees than any other regional airlines, incl SIA and Cathay Pacific and in productivity MAS staff are only half as productive as SIA. And Khazanah will find it almost impossible to deal with the sackings of thousands as its seen as a govt company and inevitably draw flaks from the Unions and even some politicians. It would have been better if the govt had truly privitalised MAS to other non-govt related companies and other airlines.

Has that ever happen before in another country? A former CEO-turned Minister returned to become a CEO at the same company. Does IJ being demoted? Malaysia is a land of endless possibilities indeed.

And see, there's no way that the top position is going to be held by a qualified world class aviation expert. It has to be among the members of the elite Melayu club regardless of their industry background.

1 minus point for MAS for never learnt anything from the past. But then again, MAS itself is controlled by someone else.

Has that ever happen before in another country? A former CEO-turned Minister returned to become a CEO at the same company

The late Steve Jobs come to mind, though admittedly it's not apple to apple comparison (pun is inadvertent)

Our Malaysian version took on the very unwelcomed task of monitoring and grading his peers' performance during his sabbatical, inevitably a thankless assignment really

The American version spent his time out creating another success story, which he sold off for a few pretty pennies before reassuming original task

:)

It does not matter if I.J. is Malayu or not.

The unions have made it cristal clear, they want seasoned aviation proffessiinals running MAS this time.

Neither I.J. or Jamaludin, fits that profile.

Lets see who has the upper hand, Khazanah or the Unions.

There are seveal ways to skin a cat..

Lets see if Khazanah has what it takes.

Without fear or favor.

Cheers

A.

Yikes ! If so, he probably thinks the industry has remained stagnant during the six years since (which it certainly has not) :)

What may have worked few years ago, your competitor(s) would have had time to devise something to neuter and get the better of. So if you still stick to that dated plan, you're worse off than a sitting duck really :)

You do realise that Idris Jala is not "melayu", dont u?

It seems the PM at that time didn't realised this until after he was appointed.

It seems the PM at that time didn't realised this until after he was appointed.

That's what I heard as well. My spy at Putra Perdana informed that the then PM (the one who snoozes) thought IJ was from the Malay family from his state (Penang) who invented 'roti jala'.

Lets be practical here and call a spade a spade.

If Khazanah can not come up with a seasoned name of an industry expert, and why not a malay, there is enough talent in MAS, and give you only an umno croney, brace yourself. I pity the Malaysian Taxpayers if that will be the case.

You dont need expat talent, you have enough talent in your MAS pool. Use it for once and MAS will prosper.

And please dont let Khazanah appoint people, with all there best credentials, when they are not aviation diehards.

It has not worked in the past and it will not work in the future.

My advise, Search in the MAS pool for managemnt talent. give him or her the job. Appoint an interim manager for six months to support and guide that talent.

Or,my advise to Khazanah, are you going to tell me that MAS has no talent in its ranks?? Please dont fool yourself and us.

If you still think so, close shop and start again. but shame on you.

This will be my last contribution to Malaysianwings. I am leaving the country next week.

I say goodbye to my friends, especially flee an BCT and i hope that you continue to spread the word.

It was a pleasure to communicate with all of you. If i have stepped on some toes, my apologies. It was for clarification only.

Long live MWings. Keep up the good work. And tell it as it is.

Cheers

A, On second retirement.

That's what I heard as well. My spy at Putra Perdana informed that the then PM (the one who snoozes) thought IJ was from the Malay family from his state (Penang) who invented 'roti jala'.

He would know what "Pi Mai Pi Mai Tang Tu" (loosely translated as moving back and forth, but still at the same place) is. That's the best way to describe the state of MAS right now.

Idris Jala would be a bad choice. He never really got down to fixing MAS' problems. His branding strategy for MAS was flawed and confusing. Five Star Value Carrier was one big absolute rubbish. He did produce a few quarters of "impressive" results, but that was all down to financial massaging masking stubbornly high operational losses.

I don't think the government's strategy of assigning their stable of GLC CEOs on a musical chair basis will work for MAS, whether its Jamal, Idris, Wahid, etc.

MAS isn't Maybank, Axiata, Telekom, Tenaga, etc. It's a whole different animal.

Maybe they should consider the Firefly CEO. He's a MAS guy and knows MAS' problems and culture. Yet he's also proven himself at Firefly, MAS' few little bright spots. No doubt it's one hell of a jump. But an idea worth considering in my view.