MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Oh well, now that PM has made a stand against MH going private, can we then expect the airline to be sold off soon ?! :D

(for those who are unable or unwilling to read between the lines, that was an attempt at sarcasm - just for sake of clarity :rolleyes:)

Edited by BC Tam

Wasn't MH "privatized or sold to Tajuddin Ramli many moons ago ?

Wasn't that also when virtually everything at MH deteriorated ?

I avoided using MH where possible then.

I have started using MH again , well at more frequently than before.

Hope I wouldn't have to drop it again.

Edited by amanairways

It was 7 years ago when the BTP was first announced by Mr. Jala, hoping to steer MH to profitability, yet until now we still encounter with all this kind of issues. Pity.

It was 7 years ago when the BTP was first announced by Mr. Jala, hoping to steer MH to profitability, yet until now we still encounter with all this kind of issues. Pity.

Well, Idris Jala was selling the family silver to pay the grocery bills! Successive turnaround plans only dealt with the symptoms of the MAS disease rather than treat it.

This time, AJ's team are doing something a bit more substantive to address the inefficiencies - the only way to deal with the excessive headcount and low productivity is to expand MAS without expanding the headcount. This would be easier than cutting headcount, if the plan is successful. That is why the unions are making loud noises now...

I hope AJ stays in the job because I think he's doing a good job. When there are such deep-rooted problems withing the airline, it is going to take time to address them properly, especially when the government is well-known for meddling in the airline's affairs. The unions are just stirring the pot abnd they really don't have the airline's best interests at heart.

Well, Idris Jala was selling the family silver to pay the grocery bills! Successive turnaround plans only dealt with the symptoms of the MAS disease rather than treat it.

This time, AJ's team are doing something a bit more substantive to address the inefficiencies - the only way to deal with the excessive headcount and low productivity is to expand MAS without expanding the headcount. This would be easier than cutting headcount, if the plan is successful. That is why the unions are making loud noises now...

Extra work + same salary + same number of staff ...

of course after so many attempts to help MAS out of losses, the best and logical way is to truly privitalised it and the govt not interfere in the senior management and even having to employ foreigners in the airline business.

But well as expected the airline wont be privitalise as well there maybe too many private "interests" in the airline. The future of MH hence will not go far and continue to lose money more thanit will make.

of course after so many attempts to help MAS out of losses, the best and logical way is to truly privitalised it and the govt not interfere in the senior management and even having to employ foreigners in the airline business.

But well as expected the airline wont be privitalise as well there maybe too many private "interests" in the airline. The future of MH hence will not go far and continue to lose money more thanit will make.

And here goes our taxes and EPF fund to save the money losing company. Shame.

Extra work + same salary + same number of staff ...

this is exactly what it takes for MAS to turn profitable again. Being a GLC of course we would expect it to be bloated since GLCs are created to provide employment in the 1st place.

but at the end of the day, it's the employees responsibility to stretch their work effort (and hours) in the name of efficiency. From the response of the union, it seems that they're unwilling to go the extra mile in order to save their own job. Should MAS be broken up, most of them probably would be out of job replaced by lower cost employees save those from profitable units such as cargo and engineering,

at least those in engineering requires high technical capability so their jobs would most probably be safe....we can't say the same about the FAs and ground crews though....

the only way to deal with the excessive headcount and low productivity is to expand MAS without expanding the headcount. This would be easier than cutting headcount, if the plan is successful.

I think that is quite hard to achieve since expansion can only be done abroad (MH's domestic market is already matured) and almost the entire deadwoods and parasites that we want MH to get rid of are home based.

I hope AJ stays in the job because I think he's doing a good job.

I agree. Since the unions hate him so much, he must be doing something extremely right. People hate Azran because he was doing/saying something extremely right. So there's a colleration here.

I'm glad I'm paying neither.

Me too. Used to but no more since 2005.

Q2 results are out: http://www.bursamala...cements/1380957

Operating profit Q2 2013: RM 7.9 million compared to loss of RM 101 million in Q2 2012.

Net loss Q2 2013: RM 175 million compared to loss of RM 348 million in Q2 2012.

That should be a big blow to the unions which is using unprofitability as one of the reasons to get rid of AJ.

Agree with u guys, AJ has been doing a great job so far.. Along with so many hardworking pilots, cabin crew, cargo and engineering staff. The deadwoods and parasites are those that want a job for life but not keen on improving their work ethic or workload

Glad to see that other people here agree with me that AJ is doing a good job. Pleased to see that MH continues to improve, so he's clearly doing something right.

Most of the cabin crew I've spoken to have praised AJ for being a humble man who treats them respectfully and they like how he adapts a more "hands-on" approach by asking what the crew themselves liked/disliked when he's onboard. I've actually seem him myself making such rounds during my previous LHR flights with him onboard. :acute:

Glad to see that other people here agree with me that AJ is doing a good job. Pleased to see that MH continues to improve, so he's clearly doing something right.

Well AJ's job isn't easy - it is not just about managing the airline, it is also about managing the politicians and armchair airline CEOs! :)

MAS Needs To Boost Professionalism In Management Not Privatisation

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 21 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airline (MAS) needs to boost professionalism in the management of the airline to stay competitive and not privatisation.

Former MAS Managing Director, Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Abdul Rahman, MAS would be able to maintain its status as a national airline which would focus not solely on profit but also its social responsibility if it were not privatised.

"We do not have a fixed civil aviation policy, so the government has approved the setting up of airlines which have bigger capacity compared to the national airline. I think this policy is wrong," he said.

He said this at a media briefing after chairing the plenary session on the 'Rights to Equality in Education under Federal Constitution' at the pre-education congress here today.

Abdul Aziz said Singapore has the Singapore Airlines and low-cost airline which was under it.

"We should have follow Singapore's move. We continue to give licences to them (other airlines) and they are competing with MAS," he said.

He said if MAS were to be privatised, the national airline would probably cease operating flights to interior routes in Sabah and Sarawak which were not profitable.

"MAS is an airline not only for business but also to play a social role. Some of the routes were not profitable and some made money. If it is a private company, it would only fly profitable routes only.

"Those not profitable, they would not operate them," he said.

Abdul Aziz, who was a pioneer when MAS was set up in 1971, said there was not need for the airline to hire foreigners in high positions.

"We do not need foreigners because we have the local talent. The foreigners do not understand the local situation and this why I never recruited them," he said.

looks like without privitalisation. MAS will continue to lose more money than it will make a small profit. MH with its low esp staff compared top the likes of SQ and CX which pay like 3 to 4 times that of MH staff costs and yet they make profits - and MH excuse of high oil price should not be a excuse they use all the time because all airlines pays the same high oil prices.

And it seems the new CEO or that of any CEO job is to reduce MH losses is already "good" work.

MAS Needs To Boost Professionalism In Management Not Privatisation
Former MAS Managing Director, Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Abdul Rahman
"We do not have a fixed civil aviation policy, so the government has approved the setting up of airlines which have bigger capacity compared to the national airline. I think this policy is wrong," he said.
We should have follow Singapore's move. We continue to give licences to them (other airlines) and they are competing with MAS," he said.
Abdul Aziz, who was a pioneer when MAS was set up in 1971, said there was not need for the airline to hire foreigners in high positions.
"We do not need foreigners because we have the local talent. The foreigners do not understand the local situation and this why I never recruited them," he said.

I do not like the tone of the former MD at all. He seems like an old dinosour trapped in the 1970s mindset in current business environment. 1 word - irrelevant.

I don't understand the obsession with the foreign talent issue. It's clear that the company was nowhere with local talent so why are people still insistent about having local talent?

I have not heard the same argument made when it comes to labourers or maids - surely there are local talents capable of doing those jobs!

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I do not like the tone of the former MD at all. He seems like an old dinosour trapped in the 1970s mindset in current business environment. 1 word - irrelevant.

I don't understand the obsession with the foreign talent issue. It's clear that the company was nowhere with local talent so why are people still insistent about having local talent?

I have not heard the same argument made when it comes to labourers or maids - surely there are local talents capable of doing those jobs!

Totally agree! Still refuse the facts and that's why MAS could never turnaround. Another good example is Proton, look what has happened to Proton after they kicking out Mitsubishi?