MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Passenger Jets Help To Rescue Missing Sailor

Passenger Jets Help To Rescue Missing Sailor

Passengers and crew on two commercial planes use binoculars to help find a missing yachtsman off Australia.

7:29pm UK, Wednesday 17 October 2012

By Jonathan Samuels, Australia Correspondent

Passengers and crew on two commercial jets have helped locate a missing yachtsman off Australia by looking through the windows with binoculars.

An Air Canada plane and an Air New Zealand aircraft swooped down to 4,000ft to assist rescuers in the search for the solo yachtsman who had activated his emergency beacon.

His remote location was out of helicopter range, so rescuers asked the planes' pilots to get involved as they were flying over the yacht's GPS position.

The crew on each plane asked passengers to tell them if they had binoculars in their hand luggage so they could be used to help in the search.

The Air Canada pilot Captain Andrew Robertson said once he determined he had enough fuel to land the plane safely in Sydney after diverting to search for the yacht, he swooped down to 5,000ft and reduced speed while the crew peered out.

"As we got to about two to three miles of this yacht, the first officer said 'there it is, I see it'. I was amazed.

"We didn't know if we were looking for a sunken boat or one that was still floating."

Captain Robertson circled around once more at 3,700ft for a closer look to see if anyone was on board.

It was then they saw the yachtsman.

Captain Robertson said the search was the first of his aviation career.

"A lot of passengers said it was very exciting to be involved in a search like this," he said.

According to Sydney's Daily Telegraph, one passenger wrote on Facebook: "15 hour flight ends up being 17 hours as we descended to 4,000ft to locate a capsized yacht for search and rescue.

"Amazing, and slightly off putting, to see what a Boeing 777 aircraft can do when not on autopilot and flying/circling low over the ocean."

Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick said the crew and a number of passengers on board flight AC033 to Sydney from Vancouver spotted the boat and advised authorities of its location.

He said the yachtsman was subsequently rescued. He said the airline commends the crew and passengers.

"The pilots immediately determined they had sufficient fuel to undertake this, and headed out to the remote area which was over fairly rough seas," he explained.

"After apprising the customers on board that we would assist as we were the only aircraft in the immediate vicinity, all on board became involved in the search efforts," Mr Fitzpatrick said.

"The crew borrowed binoculars from customers and also engaged those sitting on the right hand side of the aircraft to help look.

"As our aircraft flew over the area at 4,000ft, a reflection from a mirror shining upwards was spotted and the crew saw the yacht in question, de-masted with a person standing - which was confirmed by a number of passengers."

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa) said the 44-year-old sailor had now been picked up 270 nautical miles out to sea.

He is said to be in good spirits and uninjured after drifting for 16 hours.

Speaking about the involvement of the passenger jets, a spokesperson from the Amsa said: "It's not a regular occurrence, but that's because incidents are (usually) much closer to shore.

"Amsa thanks the captains and crews of the Air Canada and Air New Zealand aircraft for their assistance in the search and rescue operation, and their passengers for their patience."

http://news.sky.com/...-missing-sailor

If this were in Malas-ia, we would have been one citizen short, knowing what 3rd world mentality our govt has :aggressive:

What makes you say that? I think public helping enforcement/SAR officers is nothing new in other countries, it is just that this particular resuce mission is interesting though. But overall, the concept is just as similar. For example, recently a fisherman was rescued by a commercial vessel off the coast of Sabah although MMEA conducted the searh and rescue mission.

I wonder if FR24 captured it.

I also find it amazing pax carry binoculars like they carry their smartphones! :D

===

Air NZ flight diverted to NSW yacht rescue

Published: 10:19AM Thursday October 18, 2012 Source: AAP

An Air New Zealand passenger plane was diverted to help rescue a yacht adrift off the New South Wales Coast, it has emerged.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority called out the Air New Zealand plane and an Air Canada Boeing 777 to help search for the vessel after the boat's skipper activated an emergency beacon about 270 nautical miles (434.5km) out to sea.

Air Canada Captain Andrew Robertson said his plane swooped down to 1524 metres, while the crew searched the ocean for Mr Ey using binoculars.

"We didn't know if we were looking for a sunken boat or one that was still floating," Captain Robertson said.

Passengers on the Air New Zealand plane were said to have revelled in the excitement of the search, which delayed their arrival in Sydney.

... http://tvnz.co.nz/wo...-rescue-5140311

Edited by Naim

If this were in Malas-ia, we would have been one citizen short, knowing what 3rd world mentality our govt has :aggressive:

You might want to stay on dry land, knowing what our government will do in this situation.

I think the person/s who have thought of using passing airliners to look out for the distressed sailor is a "hero". It may or may not be a standard procedure for the search and rescue team, but to have thought of using airliners as S&R asset is about simply using every possible means available. Kudos to them.

Now, to all informed sailors out there, they can now not only can relied on shipping trade routes for rescue, but now can also resort to getting help from the heavens, as long as they could get to the air paths, and having distress beacons strong enough.

Wonderful.

Edited by Cire

Very strong statement there, Ignatius. I've to disagree knowing well the mentality issues, be it first or third lies with the citizens of the government, basically u and me :pardon: . As a general statement, would anyone in their right mind want to save other's life, right?

Some years ago, Tun Dr. M. and his entourage to South America in a MH DC-10 (I think) diverted to the Easter islands to pick up a sick fisherman. Anyone remember that?

This is not the first time Air NZ has been requested to divert for SAR mission.

http://en.wikipedia...._Pacific_rescue

...and I'm lucky one becouse of I watched the realted movie on TV,which name is "mercy flight" ( if I'm not wrong) many years ago.

Sign in to follow this