MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
rat

AirAsia X A330 stuck in Toulouse

Anyone have any info on why there is a brand new MAS A330 sitting at the Airbus delivery facility in Toulouse. Has only been painted in white (with a Malaysian flag by the nose). Still has the temp AIrbus registration. eard some rumours that MAS haven't paid for it !! Yet the 380 deliveries are still happening.?

Can almost confirm that it is D7's . The question now is why.

They cancelled it right? Ordered 2 or 3 with 1 already snapped by a Hong Kong operator. Guess they are still looking for suitors. I reckon it wont be long because the type is really in demand now.

If it's fitted with GE engines,than it's the D7 A332,since their A332 is fitted with GE powerplants.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Yes, like what Tamizi has stated D7 A330-202 are equipped witth GE powerplant. The agreement was signed between Tony Fernandes and GE boss in front of Rafidah Aziz. There was a big hu-ha in media of how 'capable' of Rafidah in 'pulling her links' in persuading D7 and GE in signing the agreement. :)

GE A330-202 is quite an orphan. Only few airlines use them. GA A330-243 is currently equipped with RR Trent, would be interesting if they add in GE.

Yes, like what Tamizi has stated D7 A330-202 are equipped witth GE powerplant. The agreement was signed between Tony Fernandes and GE boss in front of Rafidah Aziz. There was a big hu-ha in media of how 'capable' of Rafidah in 'pulling her links' in persuading D7 and GE in signing the agreement. :)

GE A330-202 is quite an orphan. Only few airlines use them. GA A330-243 is currently equipped with RR Trent, would be interesting if they add in GE.

I thought only their initial leased in A330-300 is GE powered and their subsequent A330-300 are all RR powered. Now the are back in GE again?

Qantas and Jetstar has a few GE powered A330-200s, but with Qantas' losses, it is probably unlikely they will add any A332 to the fleet.

I thought only their initial leased in A330-300 is GE powered and their subsequent A330-300 are all RR powered. Now the are back in GE again?

Qantas and Jetstar has a few GE powered A330-200s, but with Qantas' losses, it is probably unlikely they will add any A332 to the fleet.

Yeap, you are correct. The initial leased in bird A330-301 9M-XAA is equipped with 300kN CF-80E1A2 engines.

AirAsia own A330-343E uses 320kN RR Trent 772B extended range and enhanced flight deck version.

The new A330-202 is equipped with 311kN CF-80E1A4, the 4th generation GE CF- family engines.

One would wonder why they do so, based on the stats, GE gives more thrust in taking off. RR is better in cruising and inflight mode. And you have all the political links when ex-Trade Minister is in the picture.....

In actual fact, both QF and JQ A330 use GE engines. The QF family is a fan of GE and RR. I won't be surprised if QF adds another few more GE A330 to JQ since Alan Joyce is killing QF's int'l operation and handover to JQ...... :diablo: :diablo:

Edited by JuliusWong

Yeap, you are correct. The initial leased in bird A330-301 9M-XAA is equipped with 300kN CF-80E1A2 engines.

AirAsia own A330-343E uses 320kN RR Trent 772B extended range and enhanced flight deck version.

The new A330-202 is equipped with 311kN CF-80E1A4, the 4th generation GE CF- family engines.

One would wonder why they do so, based on the stats, GE gives more thrust in taking off. RR is better in cruising and inflight mode. And you have all the political links when ex-Trade Minister is in the picture.....

In actual fact, both QF and JQ A330 use GE engines. The QF family is a fan of GE and RR. I won't be surprised if QF adds another few more GE A330 to JQ since Alan Joyce is killing QF's int'l operation and handover to JQ...... :diablo: :diablo:

JQ might be expecting to receive their 787-8s instead of buying more 332.

They might have, up to point QF cancelled the 787 order :D

They might have, up to point QF cancelled the 787 order :D

QF cancelled the bulk majority of their 787 orders but as far as I remember , JQ's 787 orders remained intact.

JQ's 332 will be transferred back to QF to allow for the 763's retirement. 787-8 will replace 332 at JQ. QF still retains the right of 50x 787-9 but have cancelled the firm orders of 35x 787s? So the likely candidate to acquire this stray cat GE 332 should be QF rather than JQ... If only their balance sheet or profit and loss statement still allows it.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-cancels-boeing-787-dreamliner-order

Edited by S V Choong

If I remembered correctly, QF only cancelled the B787-9s as there is no definite delivery schedule for these.

QF cancelled the bulk majority of their 787 orders but as far as I remember , JQ's 787 orders remained intact.

JQ's 332 will be transferred back to QF to allow for the 763's retirement. 787-8 will replace 332 at JQ. QF still retains the right of 50x 787-9 but have cancelled the firm orders of 35x 787s? So the likely candidate to acquire this stray cat GE 332 should be QF rather than JQ... If only their balance sheet or profit and loss statement still allows it.

http://www.ausbt.com...reamliner-order

Yes, you got it correct. The B787 order for JQ remains intact and will progressively replace its A332. A332 will go back to QF mainline operation. However it may complement B767 since QF announced cabin refurbishment for B767 fleet few months back. Not sure if QF has a strong balance sheet to do so. They are trying trim down their operation.

Other likely candidates would be AY QR, AZ, TP, AH and 9W. Quite a long list to choose from.

My bad :(

Thanks for clarification

Anyone have any info on why there is a brand new MAS A330 sitting at the Airbus delivery facility in Toulouse. Has only been painted in white (with a Malaysian flag by the nose). Still has the temp AIrbus registration. eard some rumours that MAS haven't paid for it !! Yet the 380 deliveries are still happening.?

8006886193_434a78534e_c.jpg

Photo: © Flox Papa

As many have said, the 2012 A330-300s for MH have all been delivered. Next delivery will only be in 2013. The sole remaining white A330-200 was part of an original D7 order for 3 aircraft. D7 has converted one of them to the A330-300 model although I am not sure if they changed the engine to RR Trent.

This white aircraft is now in TLS, most likely awaiting a buyer.

Nice picture, flee.

9M-XXI was ntu went to HongKong Jet as VP-CBE. 9M-XXJ looking for home. 9M-XXK is now A330-343X. And I don't think thy will find a buyer soon since the world economy may slip into another recession soon. Fingers crossed!

Has 9M-XXK A330-343X been delivered yet?

Nope, the rego 9M-XXK was meant for third A330-202, which is now converted to A330-343X. I supposed AirAsia doesn't recycle its registration therefore the next A330-343X delivery will be 9M-XXK instead of 9M-XXI? Current rego is up to 9M-XXH only.