MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Resumption of MAS's Previously Axed Routes, Launch of New Routes + Wishlist

Apparently for AR, it's cheaper to operate a quad over twin on South America-Oceania route due to ETOPS limitations on twin.

Correct - that is why the cheapest way for MH is probably to refurbish the B772s. They will still need to use it for about 5-8 years post refurbishment, even if they ordered the brand new A359/A35J.

Note that their current new A333 product isn't that brilliant, so any new aircraft will not be significantly better than a refurbished B772 (from the pax perspective).

I don't think MH needs that many B772 replacements as the A333 has already replaced them on many routes.

Only applies if:

- MAS don't think they will make money anytime soon

- MAS do not want to grow its long-haul network again in the next 5 years or longer

They only need them for the KUL-NRT-LAX, KUL-FRA and KUL-AMS routes.

While waiting for the delivery of the A359/A35J, MH can just refurbish maybe 5 B772s (I think this should be the cheapest way) or they can lease either the A345/346 or B77W.

Only 5 ? Isn't that a bit of a stretch ? MAS will need the 772ER for AKL too as the Enhanced 333 that MAS is currently operating can't do KUL-AKL year-round without taking a payload penalty even with an Airbus advertised range of 10,800km. And many pilots on A.net also doubt the 333HGW can solve this as the 333HGW is projected to have an extra range of just about 440km.

or they can lease either the A345/346 or B77W.

345 is never a good replacement for 772ER. The operating cost of 345 is way higher than 772ER on similar route mission. That is exactly the reason TG took all 345 out from schedule service but you do not see TG doing that to their 772A and 772ER (TG is still operating 8x B777-200A and 6x B777-200ER). And EK too, has started to retire their 345.

346 too, is another aircraft type that no airline seems to want now.

Correct - that is why the cheapest way for MH is probably to refurbish the B772s. They will still need to use it for about 5-8 years post refurbishment, even if they ordered the brand new A359/A35J.

MAS should have done this like what ? 3 years ago when we talked about this ? If they had already done it then they won't have to worry about not being able to breakeven on the new products invested now.

And i do not know why some people think 77ER is such a gas-guzzler, a very inefficient aircraft and all 772ER must be phased out pronto when the reality is not as bad as many make it to be! That blue airline down south has made a lot of money with the 772ER. Many other airlines with a huge fleet of 772ER are still able to make money too.

DRW first flight load: 2 in J class and 14 in Y class!!! OMG!! MH is bleeding even on first flight...I have noticed that their marketing has been very weak.......

DRW first flight load: 2 in J class and 14 in Y class!!! OMG!! MH is bleeding even on first flight...I have noticed that their marketing has been very weak.......

I was in 1st DRW flight. J is full and Y is around 70 pax.

DRK is too small. There are few connections MH passengers can make onto QF link. So you're really looking at end-on passengers. And really, KUL as a hub, to go where? MI is making a killing though but that's because I suspect SIN is already a more established tourist destinations for Aussies, and you've more options in SIN for connections which works both ways, MI can pull more passengers to DRW (unlikely though, what is there to see in NT?) and transfer more passengers from DRW to connecting flights.

Edited by filipeseda

Malaysia+airlines+darwin.jpg

Near Darwin airport.. Malaysia Airlines is only doing a low-key publicity in Darwin..

Edited by Cheng Long

I would like to pull; back my statement, seems like my friend got it wrong. Much apology.

No problem. On return flight yesterday, the load almost the same.

Yes, DRW is a small city. If you prefer hype, busy, exciting city, DRW is not the place for you. But if you prefer outdoor activities, this is the place. DRW is the oil and gas city for Australia and if MAS marketing is good, this people should be their target market. just my 2 cents

Malaysia+airlines+darwin.jpg

Near Darwin airport.. Malaysia Airlines is only doing a low-key publicity in Darwin..

There is also a TV ad in the hotel TV that i stayed

And i do not know why some people think 77ER is such a gas-guzzler, a very inefficient aircraft and all 772ER must be phased out pronto when the reality is not as bad as many make it to be! That blue airline down south has made a lot of money with the 772ER. Many other airlines with a huge fleet of 772ER are still able to make money too.

I think that is because those airlines have a good load factor and/or good yield - trip costs are higher and if you don't fill the plane, it becomes uneconomic.

DRW is the oil and gas city for Australia and if MAS marketing is good, this people should be their target market. just my 2 cents

You are right. The oil & gas industry is booming in Northern Territory and there is a lot of expats / interstate labours working there. Many of them are on roster and they can easily afford a short vacation in Malaysia / Indonesia / Thailand. I believe the market potential is there.

There is a quite a number of Taiwanese on working holiday visa in Darwin too !

If they try hard, I am sure they can be successful in Darwin as there is no really business class out of the city.

MI is there..................

Guess what I was alluding to was there is no really good business class..

But unfortunately, 737 800 business seats in MH is a bit sad too..

Guess what I was alluding to was there is no really good business class..

But unfortunately, 737 800 business seats in MH is a bit sad too..

Can't really complain when only narrowbodies serve Darwin.....how good can those J seats be for a narrow body

My wishlist :-

KUL-VTE-KUL (3x weekly still okay)

For now,AirAsia (4x weekly non stop to VTE from KUL)

but 7.35am flight is too early for me

Otherwise,I have to transit anywhere,

KUL-BKK-VTE or KUL-PNH-VTE or KUL-HAN-VTE

with transit time (3 hours to 8 hours)

My wishlist :-

KUL-VTE-KUL (3x weekly still okay)

For now,AirAsia (4x weekly non stop to VTE from KUL)

but 7.35am flight is too early for me

Otherwise,I have to transit anywhere,

KUL-BKK-VTE or KUL-PNH-VTE or KUL-HAN-VTE

with transit time (3 hours to 8 hours)

KUL BKK VTE is too expensive....

go for KUL - UDON THANI via BKK, way cheaper.....

from Udon Thani, one can transfer to Vientiane on the road easily.

What makes you think so? I heard from a crew that MAS may be resuming flights to CPT recently.

Besides I heard MAS is going to terminate flights from NRT to LAX in March 2014. Sad news but this may help improve its profitability given the intense competition on this route.

What makes you think so? I heard from a crew that MAS may be resuming flights to CPT recently.Besides I heard MAS is going to terminate flights from NRT to LAX in March 2014. Sad news but this may help improve its profitability given the intense competition on this route.

South Africa is not in the Northern Summer 2014 pattern, perhaps, later. Also KUL- NRT-LAX vv will continue till further notice, no change in 2014 up to Oct