MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Resumption of MAS's Previously Axed Routes, Launch of New Routes + Wishlist

Auckland: Increase evening departures out of KUL. Still the best timing for connections in KUL.

Perth: Make it full double-daily A333. May even consider a new third daily midnight departure from KUL using B738s.

Sydney and Melbourne: Good work on the expansion. Buy more A380s and put them on the double-daily evening departures out of KUL. Sydney and Melbourne are rare cities where MAS can afford to be aggressive and yet still have a good chance of succeeding.

Australia and NZ in general: Lots have been said about the relationship between MAS and Qantas. It's stupid and daft. Work together. Both are losing out by doing otherwise. On the part of MAS, it's losing out a lot in secondary Australian and New Zealand cities.

Jakarta: Mount wide body aircraft for peak morning and evening rush hour flights.

Indonesia: However complicated the reason for getting out of Surabaya, MAS needs to get back there pronto. Consider 4-5 weekly services to Bandung, Balikpapan and Makassar.

Southeast Asia: Cebu and Chiang Mai could be worth a look. Penang surely can sustain at least 1 daily flight to Singapore.

Hong Kong: Too much variance in product offering with 1 daily A380 and the rest of the daily flights being served by B738s. Not acceptable for a premium and popular destination. More A333s needed here, what's more with slots becoming dearer at HKIA.

Shanghai: Third daily flight needed for evening departure out of KUL. And for the future, with more A380s, mount the A380 for the morning departure. Good for A380 aircraft untilization.

Beijing: Silly to take away the morning departure from KUL. Bring it back. Potential future A380 station with worsening slot issues.

Rest of China: Poor presence in some very important secondary Chinese cities. Chengdu, Shenzhen, Chongqing and Wuhan, among others, can be served with the B738. MAS should have been in these cities by now. Continue to expand the code-share agreement with China Southern - Guangzhou is the best feeder hub for MAS in China.

Japan: It beggars belief how much Malaysia has missed out on Haneda slots. Hugely disappointing that none of the stakeholders, be it the Malaysian government or the airlines, seem to care at all. Capacity should also be increased at Narita to exploit more opportunities with JAL on it's Domestic, Pacific and North American networks.

India: Consider upgrading Mumbai and Delhi flights to double-daily wide body flights. Re-enter Kolkata, this time with B738s. Trichy and Trivandrum should also be worth a look.

Middle East: Increase partnership with fellow Oneworld member Qatar Airways.

Africa: Again, work with Qatar Airways here to complement existing code-share agreements. Johannesburg should be re-considered. A 3- or 4- weekly Johannesburg-Cape Town route might work.

Amsterdam: Should be an A380 station if only MAS had more aircraft. Continue the partnership with KLM.

Frankfurt: Make it a daily B772 flight. Good move working with AA out of Frankfurt, and Paris-CDG too for that matter.

Paris-CDG: Excellent. Keep it up. Expand on more Oneworld opportunities.

London-Heathrow: Consider a third daily flight with retrofitted B772s. Move to Terminal 3 as soon as possible to gain more from Oneworld's number one hub. Talk to British Airways for code-share agreements to North America, for which BA is simply unmatched in it's network. At the same time, expand on the cooperation with AA.

Europe: Heathrow's location makes it a lousy European feeder hub for MAS. Amsterdam is better but is really good only for Western and Northern Europe. MAS has zero presence now in South, East, Central Europe and Russia. Unfortunately, AMS and LHR won't work for these regions owing to their geographical location. Qatar Airways has a sizeable presence in these regions not served by MAS. Consider building a virtual network through a partnership with Qatar Airways, similar to what Virgin Australia has done with SIA without mounting their own metal.

South America: Consider code-share agreements with LAN/LATAM out of their flights from Europe, Sydney or Auckland.

North America: Retrofit the B772s and make NRT-LAX a daily flight to have any meaningful presence at all. Continue to build on recently concluded code-share agreements with Oneworld partner AA on codeshares out of MAS' existing Oneworld destinations. Go one step ahead and do the same with JAL and BA. Qatar Airways, with it's increasing North American network, is also worth a look.

Here's a wish, which unfortunately will remain as one: MAS in New York-JFK.

From what I've heard lah, they don't have enough 737 to cover all destinations. And not enough 737 pilot too. Now, it sounds funny when they plan to launch new destination with limited planes.

From what I've heard lah, they don't have enough 737 to cover all destinations. And not enough 737 pilot too. Now, it sounds funny when they plan to launch new destination with limited planes.

B738 deliveries are still ongoing (9M-MXP delivered 18 Dec) - so I wonder how many aircraft they are short of. I suppose they can meet any shortfall with more leased frames.

As for pilots, they should try to grab those unemployed ones in the market. With both AK and OD expanding their fleets in the coming year, demand for pilots will increase.

Surely the issue of pilot shortage on the B738 can be easily overcome with the huge number of jobless CPL holders in Malaysia.

Alternatively - though this is a long shot - go South and exploit the excess pilot (FO) situation in SIA.

As for aircraft shortage, exercise the remaining options for the B738 and start looking at the MAX for future growth and replacement.

Surely the issue of pilot shortage on the B738 can be easily overcome with the huge number of jobless CPL holders in Malaysia.

Alternatively - though this is a long shot - go South and exploit the excess pilot (FO) situation in SIA.

As for aircraft shortage, exercise the remaining options for the B738 and start looking at the MAX for future growth and replacement.

1. MAS is not short of first officers but the Commanders. Also short of cabin crew

2. MAS planned to utilise B738s for overnight flights I.e. from 1200am to 0600am

3. MAS is still trying to secure a few lease B738s but so far has not succeeded

2. MAS planned to utilise B738s for overnight flights I.e. from 1200am to 0600am

Midnite flight...it reminds me of Turkish Airlines where they fly their plane domestically during this hour!

Some midnight or odd hours flight might be beneficial. It's usually offering lower prices than flights operated out of KLIA at peak hours. I think the one doing for Phuket has been quite okay? Departing from KUL at 4AM, last I check during the promo, it cost not more than 300 for a full fare return to HKT by MH.

Just checked on MH's booking and bookable now, it's confirmed Krabi (KBV) starting inaugural flight on 3th Feb 2014 and not on 30 Mar 2014. Offering every Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat on MH0770 KUL/KBV 1455-1540 and MH0771 KBV/KUL 1720-2005.

Oh bring back Surabaya... Faster! Jeez :(

Wiki mentions SUB is back from 29 April 2014. No other source to support this unfortunately.

Malaysia Airlines Welcomes Krabi As Its Latest Destination
8 January 2014 at 16:42

Subang, 8 January 2014: Effective 3 February 2014, Malaysia Airlines will be offering four times weekly service between Kuala Lumpur and Krabi, Thailand.

MH770 will depart Kuala Lumpur at 2.55pm and will arrive Krabi at 3.40pm. The return flight MH771 will depart Krabi at 5.20pm and will arrive Kuala Lumpur at 8.05pm.

The route will be operated by the B737-800 aircraft with scheduled flights on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

According to Malaysia Airlines' Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, "Malaysia Airlines is excited to expand its network by introducing Krabi as its latest destination. Krabi is a popular holiday spot and a favourite amongst Malaysians,therefore we are pleased to offer our guests the opportunity to visit Krabi via Malaysia Airlines.”

“This will also be a gateway for our guests to connect between Kuala Lumpur and Krabi with other destinations on Malaysia Airlines as well as oneworld routes,” he added.

Krabi, the gem of the Andaman Sea, is abundant with picturesque landscapes, stunning limestone cliffs, beautiful beaches, refreshing waterfalls, breathtaking inland and sea caves and riveting underwater. Krabi is home to several National Parks with over 130 surrounding islands such as Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta.

“This four times weekly flights from Kuala-Lumpur to Krabi is complimented by another 35 weekly flights to Bangkok and 21 weekly flights to Phuket, bringing it to a total of 60 weekly flights between Malaysia and Thailand. This is a very encouraging development for Malaysia Airlines especially with Visit Malaysia Year 2014”, added Ahmad Jauhari.

In conjunction with the new destination, Malaysia Airlines’ promotional fares to Krabi start from as low as RM866 all-inclusive return on Business Class and RM366 all-inclusive return on Economy Class.

Customers can book these fares from now till 30 January 2014 for travel effective 3 February to 30 June2014.

This offer is available on Malaysia Airlines distribution channels mainly our website, 24 hours call-centre 1 300 88 3000, MHmobile, Malaysia Airlines ticket offices and appointed agents throughout Malaysia.

Just checked on web booking, promo fare KUL/KBV return on economy class from RM366. Good deals.

Some midnight or odd hours flight might be beneficial. It's usually offering lower prices than flights operated out of KLIA at peak hours. I think the one doing for Phuket has been quite okay? Departing from KUL at 4AM, last I check during the promo, it cost not more than 300 for a full fare return to HKT by MH.

Not sure if passengers like these odd-hours flights, but I know for sure crews are not very enthusiastic about them.

I still remember the days when MSA operated night flights on route KUL-SIN @ $29.50 - these flights operate just past midnight and early morning (5.30 am) in those days. I believe there was a similar service on KUL-PEN too.

Not sure if passengers like these odd-hours flights, but I know for sure crews are not very enthusiastic about them.

Cabin crews faces will be like 'muka tak siap' if they operate early morning flights.

I like those flights as you will have a full day to explore the destination without the hotel expenses.