MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Resumption of MAS's Previously Axed Routes, Launch of New Routes + Wishlist

In a desperate effort to cut its billion RM losses, MH axed a few routes in 2012. These measures seem to have worked and now MH is thinking of expanding again. MH has announced that its BKI hub will see more international routes restored.

Let us keep track of the routes that are restored and any new routes that may be launched on this thread.

MAS is to resume PER on 9th Dec 2012 with only 1 flight a week.

MH121 BKI1800 – 2335PER 738 7

MH120 PER0040 – 0625BKI 738 1

Kota Kinabalu – Osaka Kansai eff 20DEC12 Service resumes with 2 weekly service

MH054 BKI0815 – 1405KIX 738 14

MH055 KIX1505 – 1945BKI 738 14

Kota Kinabalu - Hong Kong eff 02DEC12 Service increases from daily to 9 weekly

MH384 BKI1135 - 1430HKG 738 D

MH426 BKI1530 - 1825HKG 738 3

MH426 BKI1620 - 1915HKG 738 6

MH385 HKG1530 - 1830BKI 738 D

MH427 HKG1925 - 2225BKI 738 3

MH427 HKG2015 - 2315BKI 738 6

With these routes resuming, hopefully those cabin crew in Golden Lounge can get to fly back..

In a desperate effort to cut its billion RM losses, MH axed a few routes in 2012. These measures seem to have worked and now MH is thinking of expanding again. MH has announced that its BKI hub will see more international routes restored.

Thank you Flee for keeping tabs on this 'new chapter'

Crucial question may be what is MH doing differently this time round as compared to when those routes were axed earlier in the year ?

If repeating the same thing, we know what to expect in time to come :D

With these routes resuming, hopefully those cabin crew in Golden Lounge can get to fly back..

This one is the most kesian part....

Flying and lounge duty are 2 different things, I wonder how they dressed like they are going to fly, but ended up standing at the lounge?

This one is the most kesian part....

Flying and lounge duty are 2 different things, I wonder how they dressed like they are going to fly, but ended up standing at the lounge?

Uniformity. I always thought they were ground crew.

They still fly one week per month. But still quite a number couldn't take it and resigned.

One week per month is too much for them to bear.. I believe their monthly income would be affected..

Uniformity. I always thought they were ground crew.

For me I always cannot tell apart CX flight crew and ground crew as the uniforms are identical minus the name tags....

This kind of news makes one wonder what kind of business planning MAS employs. Take for example the BKI-PER route. When the route was introduced in January 2011, MAS started with thrice weekly flights. A year later, the route was suspended and now, MAS starting the route again. MAS has to market the route again to passengers. In hindsight, MAS could've reduced the frequency from thrice to twice weekly instead of suspending the route altogether. The same goes with the other suspended routes. I took the flight from BKI to PER in June last year and the load looked ok. My fellow passengers were Australians coming back from other MAS far east destinations or Sabah and Malaysia students going off to study in Australia. And yes, midnight flight from BKI arriving in the morning in PER is preferable for those connecting on flights to domestic destinations in Australia. Perhaps MAS business planners could scour malaysianwings for ideas and even offer employment as business planners to some regular posters here :-)

How does one make a once-weekly flight profitable? If the airline has done reasonably well operating with the BKI-PER route suspended, what is the compelling reason now to launch just one flight per week? The fly against all the common wisdom in the commercial aviation industry ...

KC Sim

Taking into account the previous routes were suspended during the infamous CCF, I wonder if the routes were really unprofitable, or it is just a way to show that the new management can do better? And in cases like HND, maybe it was the case of stepfather taking from stepchild to give to his own?

..... the route was suspended and now, MAS starting the route again. MAS has to market the route again to passengers .....

And they will have to market the product even more aggressively this second time round (that is to say it will cost more)

Why ? Quite simply, to regain lost confidence and furnish assurance that the abrupt cancellations as per previous episode is not repeated (that is the hope anyway)

Travel agents and hotel operators here in KK (at least) were royally shafted inside out by MH's so called route rationalization, and have had to seek alternatives (perhaps costlier alternatives) to accommodate existing businesses. This is time they are settling in to new arrangements. And if MH wants that slice of the cake back after that 'trauma' then they will have to be that very much more convincing .... :)

Edited by BC Tam

I heard MAS is launching the 3rd service to HKG in Jan 2013, a/c type B738, dep KUL around 1300-1500, dep HKG around 1800-2000. Anyone else heard about this?

:hi:

Following other forums that i read, many airline forums discuss possible next destinations for possible expansion. Just made me wonder, especially if other readers may work within MAS, where should MAS fly to next?

To get us started, here is my little list...possibly in order of viability...

Kolkata 738

Chiang Mai. 738

Guilin. 738

Surabaya. 738

Da Nang. 738

Haikou. 738

Pontianak. 738

Chongqing. 33e

Darwin. 738

Koh Samui. 738

Cebu. 738

Kochi. 738

Moscow. 777

Padang. 738

Rome. 777

Balikpapan. 738

Nagoya. 33e

Jogjakarta. 738

Fuzhou. 33e

Palembang. 738

Xian. 33e

Doha. 33e

Beirut. 33e

Makassar or Manado 738

Munich. 777

Vientiane. 738

Would also love to see MAS back in JNB and CPT but am uncertain bout the economics of both these routes.

What do others think?

Edited by Dr Frasier

Any new routes should make the most of any OW connections or to enhance the reach of the OW network specifically through MH.

MH should definitely focus on increasing its SEA network.

At this moment I think they are code sharing with PG to USM.

Chiang Mai. 738
Guilin. 738
Surabaya. 738
Cebu. 738
Padang. 738
Balikpapan. 738
Jogjakarta. 738
Makassar or Manado 738
Vientiane. 738

Done before on the B734, at one time or another.

Edited by Radzi