MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

MAS Has Not Shelved Plans To Turn Firefly Into A Low-cost Carrier

PETALING JAYA, Oct 1 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has not scrapped plans to turn community airline, Firefly, into a low-cost carrier, Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said.

He said MAS was keeping its options open for Firefly, its wholly-owned subsidiary, to operate as a budget carrier but stressed that it was not in the immediate term.

"For now, we have a plan and the plan is to keep the turbo-prop aircraft in Firefly and MAS will do all the jets operations," he told reporters at MAS' 40th anniversary celebrations.

A turboprop engine aircraft is more fuel-efficient for a short distance travel while jet engine aeroplanes, commonly used by commercial airlines, are more cost-effective for long-haul flights.

Firefly currently flies to 25 destinations including 12 international flights.

Ahmad Jauhari also said the national carrier will add another flight for the newly received Airbus A380 for the Kuala Lumpur-London-Kuala Lumpur route.

He said MAS is also planning to replace the Boeing 737-400 fleet over the next two years in tandem with plans to reduce the average age of its aircraft, which currently stood at 7.7 years.

Meanwhile, to mark its 40th anniversary celebrations, Ahmad Jauhari said MAS will be giving 80 free seats to selected customers to destinations across the airline's network.

So no orange jet anytime soon? Read somewhere weeks ago that they are looking on Bombardier for FY jets..

Edited by Syukri

Ahmad Jauhari also said the national carrier will add another flight for the newly received Airbus A380 for the Kuala Lumpur-London-Kuala Lumpur route. Does this mean a third flight between KUL and LHR or it is a replacement for the B744?

He said MAS is also planning to replace the Boeing 737-400 fleet over the next two years in tandem with plans to reduce the average age of its aircraft, which currently stood at 7.7 years. The MH B734's are that young ?

Meanwhile, to mark its 40th anniversary celebrations, Ahmad Jauhari said MAS will be giving 80 free seats to selected customers to destinations across the airline's network. 80 seats to selected customers ?

I believe 7.7 is the average of the whole fleet.. Phase out the 734s will significantly reduce this number since some 734s started service during 80's. Correct me if im wrong..

Ahmad Jauhari also said the national carrier will add another flight for the newly received Airbus A380 for the Kuala Lumpur-London-Kuala Lumpur route. Does this mean a third flight between KUL and LHR or it is a replacement for the B744?

So far MH only operates once daily flight, sounds like a new A380 will be used for second flight to LHR.

He said MAS is also planning to replace the Boeing 737-400 fleet over the next two years in tandem with plans to reduce the average age of its aircraft, which currently stood at 7.7 years. The MH B734's are that young ?

On Planespotters, the average age is listed as 10.5 years. I guess it's hard to keep track which aircraft has officially left and which ones still flying, especially 747, A330 and 734.

Meanwhile, to mark its 40th anniversary celebrations, Ahmad Jauhari said MAS will be giving 80 free seats to selected customers to destinations across the airline's network. 80 seats to selected customers ?

Frankly I do not see that happening for at least 2 years.

MAS does not have enough funds to start up a 30-50 jet LCC. They have already borrowed to the hilt for their current B738/A333/A388. They really need to get the main airline in order.

Right now FY turbo prop is contributing profits rather than making losses. Their business is solid and stable, one of the good things to happen to MAS. Management does not have to fight fires at FY.

So it means as long as AJ is still there, there's little chance Firefly will acquire jets and resume their service to Sabah and Sarawak. No direct competition with Air Asia.

If AJ were to reinstate Firefly jet service to East Malaysia, there is a real possibility that he would be transferred to some non aviation job.

I believe 7.7 is the average of the whole fleet.. Phase out the 734s will significantly reduce this number since some 734s started service during 80's. Correct me if im wrong..

It may have started at the tail end of 1980s but those were leased in B737-400 which are not owned by MH. MH's first B737-4H6 only arrived somewhere around 1992, as far as I remembered. Those early 737-400 were all 9M-ML* and 9M-MJ* series which have returned to their owners a long time ago. Interestingly MH have reused the 9M-ML* rego on the leased in B737-800. Correct me if I am wrong.

It wasn't MAS' first attempt to recycle rego though. Some leased in A330-300s have used rego previously assigned to other A333 and one particular A330-300 as been leased by MAS twice (9M-MKS?) but I am not too sure whether the same rego were used on her during her previous life with MAS though.

Edited by S V Choong

one particular A330-300 as been leased by MAS twice (9M-MKS?) but I am not too sure whether the same rego were used on her during her previous life with MAS though.

From the description of this photo (by Capt. Radzi) http://www.airliners...-322/0545573/L/ 9M-MKS previously operated for MAS as 9M-MKY.

Speaking of this airframe here's another interesting pic of the would-be 9M-MKY: http://www.airliners...arch?id=0051850

Back to topic, if current FY operations are profitable then they should keep the formula, rather than trying to tackle on big players; it's something that MH can ill afford to do at this moment.

Edited by Y. J. Foo

IMHO, i think MH shld handover all its domestic flight to FY and let FY to operate smaller aircraft type?? like Embraer/Cseries ? Well maybe not all... MH can still fly to high demand routes from KUL to PEN/LGK/BKI/KCH... Jet operation for FY should feed MH regional/international routes at KLIA while still keeping their turboprop operation at SZB. Then it will help to free up some of 738 for more expansion for its ASEAN/China/India routes. Just a thought :D

Edited by nrazmoor

i think Maswings brand stood out pretty good .....

Looks good only

But by the very reason of its inception, not ever likely to turn in a profit nor able to sustain itself :)

So it means as long as AJ is still there, there's little chance Firefly will acquire jets and resume their service to Sabah and Sarawak. No direct competition with Air Asia.

Looks good only

But by the very reason of its inception, not ever likely to turn in a profit nor able to sustain itself :)

I was seated next to a MasWings officer on a recent sector and was told the following :

1) MasWings are making a lost on domestic inter-borneo routes. Would not survive without subsidy.

2) MasWings are planning to get jets. By 2015. Apparently MH B738 ... perhaps those that were leased ?

3) The Tag line for them is to be a BIMP-EAGA community airline. Route expansion includes Philippines, Indonesia, India and Peninsular M'sia.

4) No plans for amphibious aircraft :pardon:

5) Need 2 more ATR to run a efficient schedule.

6) Management office still in Subang instead of Borneo :bad:

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information , but the person seemed genuine in his passion for MasWings. I think MAS should just concentrate on being a premium airline and leave the low cost sector alone.

3) The Tag line for them is to be a BIMP-EAGA community airline. Route expansion includes Philippines, Indonesia, India and Peninsular M'sia.

India ? BIMP-EAGA doesn't include India :)

Off course they have to run with subsidies for interior routes into the jungle. But creating another brand would be a mess for MAS. They can just capitalise on MasWings or Firefly. Firefly, despite comunity airline tagline, is a low cost. Maswings brand should be brought over to cover entire MH narrow body fleet and rural air service.

Off course they have to run with subsidies for interior routes into the jungle

MasWings was created to do these routes because it was said at that time to provide better transparency and accountability of the gahmen subsidies handed out

Otherwise, they could have just lumped everything in MAS like days long long ago

MasWings was created to do these routes because it was said at that time to provide better transparency and accountability of the gahmen subsidies handed out

Otherwise, they could have just lumped everything in MAS like days long long ago

Yes, it is a subsidised airline and it would be good if it could be kept that way.

Sign in to follow this