MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Radzi

MH to operate 5 daily KUL-BKK

Malaysia Airlines, celebrating its 40th anniversary flight operations between Kuala Lumpur and the Thai capital of Bangkok, commences its 5th daily service on this route effective 28 October 2012.

In addition to the existing 4 daily services, the new daily flight MH796 will depart Kuala Lumpur at 9.55pm to arrive Bangkok at 11.00pm while the return flight from the Thai capital departs daily at 6.20am to arrive Kuala Lumpur at 9.30am. This flight will be operated using a 160-seater B737-800 aircraft comprising 16 in Business Class and 144 in Economy Class seats.

Together with the existing 4x daily flights and the new daily flight from 29 October 2012, Malaysia Airlines will offer a total weekly capacity of 5568 seats in each direction, a 25% increase from the current capacity of 4448 seats.

Most interesting, MH 796 arrive BKK 2300 LT and MH 797 depart BKK 0620 LT.........

You're kidding right ?! :o

I'm not. For instance, I know that the crew (at least the cabin crew) operating the last flight into SIN (at least the ones I flew on a few times), will also operate the first one out the next day back to KUL - with similar timings as the new BKK flight. Sounds like very cruel frugal employers...

Depending on the Flight time limitations under split duty it might just be legal to do. Hard work I know and not terribly popular amongst the crew but to say it's cruel is a bit harsh.

I'm guessing the cruel part on those cabin crew would be having to put on smiley faces at crack of dawn (despite having been on duty the previous 10 hours or so, with a few more to go yet) in welcoming those newly recharged/refreshed boarding pax :)

Heck, I find it difficult faking a smile for the missus first thing in the morning even :D

MH is going for frequency to compete better with AK/FD.

With this fifth frequency, MH's first KUL-BKK flight is at 0910 while its last flight is 2155. AK/FD has more flights (8) - first flight is at 0750 and last flight is timed at 2115.

Thai Airways has 3 widebody flights daily, earliest is 0755 and last one goes at 2100.

So passengers now have a good variety of flights to choose from. I must say that Thai is the most expensive to buy online as a lot of their offers require you to book via their sales office.

MH is also trying to capture the business travel market with an earlier BKK-KUL flight. Looks like it is a good move. They are thinking of customers' needs. :)

Will the same inbound crew operate the first outbound flight the next day?

Possible with split duty rules and such, but the scheduling people should realize that not only it is very unpopular with crew, it is also a waste on resources since the crew still will have to be provided hotel rooms, and for the 2 days they can only do just the 2 sectors. A proper crew nightstop means the crew can do up to 5 sectors on the first day, followed by up to another 5 the next day.

Its good idea to increase frequency. Hope they can sustain it.

How does air asia do it with their crews? Same set or different?

For AirAsia, it is simple.

AirAsia Thailand makes the last flight out of KUL and the first flight from BKK (or DMK from 1 Oct) each day.

AirAsia Malaysia makes the last flight out BKK (or DMK from 1 Oct) and the first flight from KUL each day.

For AirAsia, it is simple.

AirAsia Thailand makes the last flight out of KUL and the first flight from BKK (or DMK from 1 Oct) each day.

AirAsia Malaysia makes the last flight out BKK (or DMK from 1 Oct) and the first flight from KUL each day.

Wow. Liken to take a whole pizza to oneself and at the same time protect anything or anyone from taking a chunk of it. :-D

But then, if resources readily available, why not? :-)

Most interesting, MH 796 arrive BKK 2300 LT and MH 797 depart BKK 0620 LT.........

About time MH has a RON at BKK! MH 796 is perfect for connection from Australia and other parts of SE Asia! MH 797 OTOH is good for O&D, MH 4 to LHR / connection to other SE Asia? It's too late for morning Australia departures (the time difference really makes it hard for any SE Asia with the exception Singapore to connect to MH's morning Australia flights).

Will the same inbound crew operate the first outbound flight the next day?

I would assume so. TG 419/420 crew also overnight in KUL (with a better schedule: 22:20 - 08:05). Same goes for TG 401/402 (BKK-SIN turn) - crew overnights at the Crowne Plaza SIN.

Now if only TG offers daily service on 419/420! TG 420 offers plenty of connections to Indo-China, China, and day flights to FRA, LHR and CDG!

Edited by Craig

Good on MH for adding a 5th daily flight between KUL and BKK. This is a step in the right direction for providing connectivity for business passengers.

Possible with split duty rules and such, but the scheduling people should realize that not only it is very unpopular with crew, it is also a waste on resources since the crew still will have to be provided hotel rooms, and for the 2 days they can only do just the 2 sectors. A proper crew nightstop means the crew can do up to 5 sectors on the first day, followed by up to another 5 the next day.

I guess the last flight from KUL to CGK has similar crew roster as well ?

Anyway, hotels are cheap BKK. The cost shouldn't be high :)

I would assume so. TG 419/420 crew also overnight in KUL (with a better schedule: 22:20 - 08:05). Same goes for TG 401/402 (BKK-SIN turn) - crew overnights at the Crowne Plaza SIN.

Crowne Plaza in T3 ? OMG how fancy!

Now if only TG offers daily service on 419/420! TG 420 offers plenty of connections to Indo-China, China, and day flights to FRA, LHR and CDG!

TG419/420 used to be operated on a daily basis.

Historically, MH tried to curtail frequency/capacity to BKK and SIN hoping fewer pax will transit there. Guess they couldn't ignore the demand forever.

Historically, MH tried to curtail frequency/capacity to BKK and SIN hoping fewer pax will transit there. Guess they couldn't ignore the demand forever.

That was a silly move, and the management has quietly confirmed to me that there is some truth in that. In the absence of MH or SQ/MI to/from SIN, my colleagues and I will use AK or Jetstar to connect to/from SQ @SIN - easy especially when travelling with just cabin luggage.

Guess they also couldn't ignore fact that Asean open skies is just round the corner and the floodgates can be held back for only so much longer (theoretically anyway) :)

That was a silly move, and the management has quietly confirmed to me that there is some truth in that. In the absence of MH or SQ/MI to/from SIN, my colleagues and I will use AK or Jetstar to connect to/from SQ @SIN - easy especially when travelling with just cabin luggage.

MH failed to realize their action also restrict number of pax transit at KUL.

Sign in to follow this