MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Aizenhong

To all experience ppl at here....about be a pilot

Hi to all.....I need some information from u all experience ppl....I am a guy 25yrs old...which is graduate from secondary school at 2004 and I done spm for that yr...but due to last time no serious in study I get a super bad result which is fail all the subject onli get PASS in bi bm and p.seni.....no credit at all....but I really interesting be a pilot...and I also know being a airlines pilot need CPL license....but the mini requirement is 5 credit in spm....so I have decide to resist spm...and currently I am a technician which is doing after sales hse to hse service...so I meet a customer he is a teacher in secondary school he say that can resist spm even after 8 yrs...so I hope the information is truth...so I choose to resist spm in 2013 after that plan to take cpl course...but as I know if i go to get the license is going to cost me a bomb coz am not from a rich family...so the second way is to interview in airlines as cadet pilot..but just saw a mas & aa requirement..they wan spm result in one sitting means no resist result izit?? If like that the other way is to pay myself at flying school to get the cpl onli get my dream job...but saw a lot post that onli local airlines will accept those fresh cpl graduate...and must pass their super hard interview rite?so after get the cpl how to accumulate that 200 hour? And izit still got other cheaper way to be a airlines pilot?i dun mind to study like hell now but all wish I can be pilot as my carrier...I hope all the experience ppl here cad give me information and suggestion..I really need help now.....thanks to all

i'm not the right person to give you advise on which path should you take in realizing your dream to be an airline pilot but i must tell you i admire your frankness and your willingness to work hard to achieve what you aspire to be. Keep the spirit burning and you shall get there. All the best Aizenhong!

Without sounding discouraging I would like to share that according to DCA statistics, there are 1117 unemployed fresh graduate pilots in Malaysia. With Air Asia the only airline that is proactively hiring fresh graduate pilots at the moment,it will take a very long time for the surplus fresh grad pilots to be absorbed into the industry.

What I can suggest to you to keep your dream alive is to definitely work towards your SPM and try your best to achieve those 5 credits. Once you get that you can apply to work in an airline in other positions such as ground handling or cabin crew. From there you can work your way up to a flight crew position. There are few pilots from Air Asia that did it this way. They worked as cabin crew for a couple of years and eventually got into the company's cadet pilot scheme.I sincerely believe that Its a matter of getting a foot into the industry and from there you can work your way up. It's all a matter of how much you want it and how hard you want to work towards achieving your dream.

really thanks and appreciate u all support....now ntg gona stop me to achieve my dream..spm is a first block....gona u turn back and grab back all the form 4 and 5 text book....and i heard b4 that cabin crew turn to be pilot...but we all know that cabin crew is like choosing mr and ms world.....especially aa their focus on teeth...but my teeth is gona fail me...that the thing worry...once i done spm and grab 5 credit....but both of the airlines do not receive resit result if not mistaken....so i gona pay a costly to private flight school...even i can get loan or get school fees somewhere else but i might take on a big risk that is be a jobless pilot...and i still need pay flight club to do 3 take off and landing in evevry 90 days....is a burden....i really hope that both airlines open for spm resit result.....i will work max hard on it....no matter how hard i wana be pilot ....

thanks albert......i admit that my english writing is not good......but i will work hard on it....

All the best to you, sir! I do hope you have read and researched tonnes of info about being a pilot, aircraft models, engines and everything that you could read and grab inside a cockpit, for someone like you who has a dream to pursue being a pilot.

thanks albert......i admit that my english writing is not good......but i will work hard on it....

Yes please do. Being a pilot is serious stuff.

Like what Prashant mentioned, there are plenty of jobless CPL holders in Malaysia at the moment. You might want to explore other options after obtaining your CPL should you decide to pursue on your own, e.g. flight instructing, charter operation, etc. find ways to build up hours. Be flexible and willing to uproot from Malaysia. The road to the airline cockpit is long and hard.

As with any good aviators, you should always have contingencies, in case things don't go according to your plan.

In one of the article I posted lately, there will be a shortage of private jet pilots in the very near future. But this will be in China.

I wondered whether it would be a tough for a foreigner to enter that market.