MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Doco: BA 747-400 D-check

@ SV Choong.

Thank you for sharing this docu.

It is good that the public and the less informed, can now appreciate that the age of an aircraft is not the most important parameter.

It is the maintenance. A good maintained aircraft can go a long way.

In the case of this, or any 744 for that matter, maintained as it should be, these aircraft can easely perform safely and profitable for the next ten years. In the proper hands, that is.

In my time, whenever I had the oportunity, i went to the main hangar and witnessed a check like this.

It always was a sobering experience to see all what was normally hidden from view, but extremely important for a safe operation.

The next time you took the aircraft after heavy meaintenance, you knew, "it is as good as new"

A docu, well worth watching..

Cheers

Art

You are welcome Arthur.

For someone who is not involved in the industry, such as myself, it adds to the knowledge of what goes behind the scene and the backstage workers who contributed so much to make sure the travelling public can take off and land safely.

Just out of curiosity...

What involves in an A, B, C, D check then? Would have thought a D-check would involve a complete repaint? Is there an E or F check?

Edited by S V Choong

A Check

A Check is a light check carried out usually overnight at an airport gate. This check is carried out every month or every 500 flight hours, however, depending on the aircraft type the timing can change.

B Check

B Check is also a light check carried overnight at an airport gate. This check is normally performed every 3 months.

C Check

C Check is a heavy maintanance check usually carried out every year or every 1.5 years. Since this check requires dessembly of critical parts, this check is performed in a hangar.

D Check

D Check is sometimes called overhaul check or heavy maintenanc check. This check is performed in every 4-5 years: inspection of entire aircraft is carried out.

Plus after D-check (even C check) the aircraft need to have a flight test before it can carry passengers....that part has been miss out in that video.

wow.. if it takes so much effort for a B747.. imagine how much more effort it is for an A380!

Yes, especially since Airbus takes around 6 months to outfit a brand new A380. Do you think they can complete a D check in 5 weeks?

Yes, especially since Airbus takes around 6 months to outfit a brand new A380. Do you think they can complete a D check in 5 weeks?

In that case.. BBC should do a documentary on A380 too.. that would be interesting.. anyways, are there any D checks for MH A380 in SZB or KUL? or do they get sent somewhere else for D checks?

.. anyways, are there any D checks for MH A380 in SZB or KUL? or do they get sent somewhere else for D checks?

That should be in 4-5 years time, no need to rush :)

do these checks required stripping off the paint? I recall RBA 767 planes doing an extensive check which they strip off the paint to its bare metal.

Yeah I know.. but by then.. they would still need to send it somewhere to get the D checks done right? where would they send them to?

In 4-5 years time, maybe Malindo Engineering ?! :p

Sign in to follow this