MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

There is a rumour flying around that Malindo will be taking A320s from the Lion order book. They are now pinching AK pilots and offering them better pay and benefits. Is there any truth to this rumour?

Here is an old report:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2013/03/20/Lion-Air-likely-to-allot-some-of-its-latest-A320-aircraft-to-new-Malindo-Air/?style=biz

Edited by flee

There is a rumour flying around that Malindo will be taking A320s from the Lion order book. They are now pinching AK pilots and offering them better pay and benefits. Is there any truth to this rumour?

Here is an old report:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2013/03/20/Lion-Air-likely-to-allot-some-of-its-latest-A320-aircraft-to-new-Malindo-Air/?style=biz

Are they allowed to add on new fleet type without getting their paperwork in order?

Would be great to have another A320s player in local aviation scene.

I would see OD schedule is less hectic than those of AK. Some AK pilots might just hop over......

Are they allowed to add on new fleet type without getting their paperwork in order?

Would be great to have another A320s player in local aviation scene.

I would see OD schedule is less hectic than those of AK. Some AK pilots might just hop over......

I am sure they will need to get the necessary papers from the DCA for this.

I would like to see them operate A321s for their regional routes - many airlines in this region are finding the A321 a fine aircraft for their regional missions.

Some interesting news in relation to Malindo and our national airline will come up soon.. Stay tuned....

Pilots being seconded from MH to OD?

Very interesting news for someone like myself being a frequent flyer between Perth and Penang.

That said, MH and D7 loads ex Perth aren't particularly good at the present and I'm surprised MH haven't downgraded PER further to a B738.

I'm surprised OD haven't though outside the box and launched direct PER-PEN flights as they would easily fill aircraft, so very much potential.

The proposed flight times of OD151/152 aren't particularly connection friendly either for flights to other MY cities.

In regards to seat pitch I think OD's are capacity restricted due the the emergency exit behind the wing being inoperable i.e. the dreaded seat with no window, hence the generous pitch.

I think MH is doing the right thing - the airline needs to shrink so that problems are fewer and new SOPs can be developed and implemented. Once the management is happy that it has got its basics right, it can then expand. Much like what JAL has done.

I think MH is doing the right thing - the airline needs to shrink so that problems are fewer and new SOPs can be developed and implemented. Once the management is happy that it has got its basics right, it can then expand. Much like what JAL has done.

I think much has been said about JAL's 'shrink now, expand later when sturdier' approach, and how that could possibly apply to MH's current predicament. However, hard cold reality is that it may turn out a similarly happy ending, it may not. Apart from JL and MH sharing ignominy of bankruptcy (even that, JL actually declared as such, MH did not) there are very differing circumstances between both case studies, and natural logic would suggest differing results if same rules are applied

In classic apple vs orange comparison, not wise to try extract orange juice from an orange in same manner you would to obtain apple juice :)

Malindo Air Expands International Operations in W15

by JL

Share on Facebook 0 Tweet about this on Twitter 4 Share on LinkedIn 0 Share on Google+ 0 Share on Reddit 0 Email this to someone

Posted at 0530GMT 11SEP15

Malindo Air has filed a number of operational schedule for proposed new routes it intends to launch, based on latest update in Sabre GDS timetable listing. Based on the listing, the airline intends to launch following service from 11NOV15.

Kuala Lumpur Hong Kong

OD605 KUL1015 1410HKG 738 D

OD606 HKG1510 1905KUL 738 D

Kuala Lumpur Perth

OD151 KUL0825 1410PER 739 D

OD152 PER1500 2055KUL 739 D

Reservations for these service are currently not available, further changes to planned launch dates remain highly possible.

Elsewhere, Malindo from 25OCT15 plans to adjust operations on following routes:

Kuala Lumpur Delhi eff 10OCT15 Increase from 7 to 10 weekly

Kuala Lumpur Denpasar Increase from 1 to 2 daily

Kuala Lumpur Dhaka Reduce from 2 to 1 daily

Kuala Lumpur Jakarta Increase from 1 to 2 daily

Kuala Lumpur Kathmandu eff 01OCT15 Increase from 3 to 7 weekly

http://airlineroute.net/2015/09/11/od-w15/

It looks like that OD benefits more from MH route cutting/capacity reduction and not AK/D7 as earlier speculate... too bad the Lion group cancel the 788, if not they will have the right a/c to start SYD and MEL..

It looks like that OD benefits more from MH route cutting/capacity reduction and not AK/D7 as earlier speculate... too bad the Lion group cancel the 788, if not they will have the right a/c to start SYD and MEL..

Lion Group's three A330-300 are almost ready for delivery later this year. Although they have mentioned A330 will be deployed specifically on high demand domestic route, we won't be surprised if they use them on certain busy international route.

Note that they are few ex-D7 A333 ntu as well. Lion Air can jump on them since they are all ready for delivery.

Lion Group's three A330-300 are almost ready for delivery later this year. Although they have mentioned A330 will be deployed specifically on high demand domestic route, we won't be surprised if they use them on certain busy international route.

Note that they are few ex-D7 A333 ntu as well. Lion Air can jump on them since they are all ready for delivery.

Don't think they will be so aggressive with Malindo - the track record of this airline is to do it slow and steady to avoid over capacity.
Malindo will need a more premium configuration than the 440 seat sardine tubes of Lion - but it is unlikely that they take up the built up D7 frames as Airasia branding is all over the aircraft on the seats! They might take the D7 delivery slots for next year and 2017.
Edited by flee

gosh, i did a dummy booking on Malindo for KUL PER KUL... no additional service ie luggage or meal etc available. lKy in name and next page direct you straight to payment..... speechless..

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

gosh, i did a dummy booking on Malindo for KUL PER KUL... no additional service ie luggage or meal etc available. lKy in name and next page direct you straight to payment..... speechless..

maybe they can't afford to give you more on their heavy loaded 739s.... :rofl: