MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

That's a good load from KUL-SIN and hope pax levels be high enough to continue this service sector.

Yes all the 7 739s are equipped with PTV and the newest 8th which is the 738 too is similiarly equipped. Their aircrafts are all fairly new as the first and second 739s are only 1.7 years old; and the latest 738 is only a few weeks old.

Sorry to clarify I was travelling SIN-KUL on Friday evening and the plane was a 739

Edited by Robert

I took OD801 and OD806 on 21st Nov. It was a very impromptu trip and I didn't know Malindo had KUL-SIN service until skyscanner app showed it has the lowest fair as of 20th Nov night.

best part: the return flight's RM59 promo sold out, leaving the usual price around RM450. but the business class was only RM350!!! so I did the necessary and had a 40min business class flight back. damn the tail wind, the flight lasted slightly less than 40 min.

1 weird thing at SIN Terminal 3: the boarding time was 1915. I reached the gate at 1910, and after security check, the staff told me I can go into the plane immediately instead of waiting at the boarding gate. how cool is that?

one more thing, at Changi, they give complimentary access to lounge.

Edited by Benjamin Ho

I took OD801 and OD806 on 21st Nov. It was a very impromptu trip and I didn't know Malindo had KUL-SIN service until skyscanner app showed it has the lowest fair as of 20th Nov night.

best part: the return flight's RM59 promo sold out, leaving the usual price around RM450. but the business class was only RM350!!! so I did the necessary and had a 40min business class flight back. damn the tail wind, the flight lasted slightly less than 40 min.

1 weird thing at SIN Terminal 3: the boarding time was 1915. I reached the gate at 1910, and after security check, the staff told me I can go into the plane immediately instead of waiting at the boarding gate. how cool is that?

one more thing, at Changi, they give complimentary access to lounge.

Boarding time 1915, reached gate at 1910? Is it permissible?

Boarding time 1915, reached gate at 1910? Is it permissible?

Permissible? Airlines love it when passengers do that. Also, Changi is known to use the FIDS status to hurry passengers to the gate, displaying "Gate Closing" even before boarding has begun.

Permissible? Airlines love it when passengers do that. Also, Changi is known to use the FIDS status to hurry passengers to the gate, displaying "Gate Closing" even before boarding has begun.

Very true about Changi FIDS, I rushed from my spotting place in the terminal to my gate after seeing 'Final Call' when arrived, they haven't even start boarding

For Changi.. the dropdead time is really 10mins before departure when gates close. That's all one needs to remember....

After "Final Call"... then there's "Gate Closing"...so final call is not really THE final call.

For Changi.. the dropdead time is really 10mins before departure when gates close. That's all one needs to remember....

After "Final Call"... then there's "Gate Closing"...so final call is not really THE final call.

These notices or advise is like crying wolf, will become meaningless. May be they will introduce new notice or advise like "really final call", "last final call", "final final call", " final gate closing", or more appropriate kiasu message like "you are losing out", etc. Edited by KK Lee

These notices or advise is like crying wolf, will become meaningless. May be they will introduce new notice or advise like "really final call", "last final call", "final final call", " final gate closing", or more appropriate kiasu message like "you are losing out", etc.

Well it may be very good for first time or novice passengers.

Frequent flyers will just ignore the notices and determine their own schedule. So this is a service by Changi Airport to assist in flights getting away on schedule - something frequent flyers would appreciate! ;)

Took my 2nd flight on OD802 from sin-kul on 28 Nov, and the flight had a total pax of only 20 ! - but which is 3 more than its inaugural flight of 17 pax. The plane was their newest addition 739 and still have the "new car smell" after about 3 weeks in service. What I truly like is the amount of legroom that Malindo have and it seems to be better than MH older 772s and definitely better than SQ's. Just hope that Malindo be more aggressive in their marketing efforts and advertisements on this route. Flying back next day on Jetstar - it was at least 75% full and was wondering why 3K and AK are doing so much better on this route and Malindo is faring so bad esp on sin-kul when it has much wider legroom, PTV on every seat and even a cup of coffee or tea and biscuits offered.

oh plus Malindo gives free 15kg check-in baggage which makes it cheaper than 3K and AK - and its fare is already on par or cheaper than AK even before this free 15kg baggage.

[...]wondering why 3K and AK are doing so much better on this route and Malindo is faring so bad esp on sin-kul when it has much wider legroom, PTV on every seat and even a cup of coffee or tea and biscuits offered.

oh plus Malindo gives free 15kg check-in baggage which makes it cheaper than 3K and AK - and its fare is already on par or cheaper than AK even before this free 15kg baggage.

3K and AK are by now household names, and therefore travelers, be it casual tourists, or businessmen traveling KUL-SIN vv on weekly basis, will prefer to go to what they are more familiar with. Not to mention there are also MH, MI, SQ, TR and FY (ex-SZB) in the fray for a while by now. Given OD is still a relatively new airline, some might not have even heard of it.

Those who have heard about it might associate them with their parent's other airline Lion Air, and to them JT is, rightfully or not, synonymous with 'unsafe', especially after last year when they undershot a six-week old 738 at DPS. They may not necessarily aware that OD, as an airline established in Malaysia, has separate operating certificates, and are subject to MY DCA's regulation.

OD will need to work much harder in marketing and advertising, and foster confidence among travelers if they want to stay relevant on this saturated sector, which can only deteriorate further if KL-SG HSR goes ahead.

(Comments above are just my two pennies worth.)

Edited by Y. J. Foo

Unless OD could guarantee they will not cancel flight because of poor load, many are reluctant to book with them flights weeks or months in advance.

Probably the name Malindo Air is not catchy enough and lack of advertisement and promotions. Hardly see them advertising in the local media plus their website is so static!

Im using them for my weekly SIN-KUL-SIN trips at the weekends and the Friday evening/Sunday late afternoon flights are pretty full. So far there is no issues with pucntuality or cancellations

My return flight from Sin on 28 Dec has been retimed to depart at 1315 instead of 1340. Malindo sent email to inform with the new e tickets today. This is a rather good service that pax are informed early instead going to the airport and being told retimed at check in.

My return flight from Sin on 28 Dec has been retimed to depart at 1315 instead of 1340. Malindo sent email to inform with the new e tickets today. This is a rather good service that pax are informed early instead going to the airport and being told retimed at check in.

It's their duty to inform pax. No surprises there.

Sadly my cousin has a ticket for PEN-KUL-SIN. They retimed the KUL-SIN sector to 20 mins earlier causing him to misconnect (from 1hr transit to 40 mins) so we had to call them to change the flights.

The call center service was HORRIBLE. One agent said they'd never make the connection even if the flight time didn't change and made us pay a change fee. We escalated to the manager who said they can't waive the fee as "changed or not they would have missed their flight".

When queried about why the hell would the website let customers book such an impossible connection all he had to say was "we don't handle the website, but you have to go landside and claim your bags before checking in again" - contrary to the information we received before booking this connection that BPs and bags can be tagged all the way to SIN.

Still waiting for them to call us back with a more satisfactory answer.

web.jpg

Malindo Air Aims To Have 100 Aircrafts Within 10 Years

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 17 (Bernama) -- Malindo Air aims to have a fleet of 100 aircraft in the next 10 years and will extend passenger services to South and East Asia, particularly Southern China in 2015.

To date, Malindo Air has 11 ATR72-600 and seven Boeing 737s.

Chief Executive Officer Chandran Rama Murthy said the carrier would also introduce strategies to increase ancillary income throughout 2015.

"While we are very much focused on expanding ATR operations this year, we are looking to enhance our capacity and route network further to include Boeing operations," he said in a statement to announce the commencement of a new daily flight service from Kuala Lumpur to Nepal on Feb 6, 2015.

Kathmandu will become Malindo Air's 18th international destination and seventh destination in South Asia, after five destinations in India and two others in Bangladesh

By taking delivery of more aircraft order, Chandran said the carrier was poised to introduce more routes to widen its network in the coming months, strengthening air travel demand within the region.

With route expansion into Kathmandu, Chandran said Malindo Air was optimistic of capturing a bigger market to further enhance its network and brand.

"We have ambitious plans for 2015 where we will look at aggressively expanding our brand presence in the region," he added.

A new Boeing 737-900 would be operated for the Kuala Lumpur-Kathmandu sector and will depart Klia2 daily at 7.05 pm and arrive at Tribhuvan International Airport at 9.30 local time.