MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

It seems that an OD ATR72 (9M-LMF if I'm not mistaken) struck an aerobridge during taxi in KBR a couple of days back. As of tonight, it is still AOG in KBR. Anyone with further info?

It seems that an OD ATR72 (9M-LMF if I'm not mistaken) struck an aerobridge during taxi in KBR a couple of days back. As of tonight, it is still AOG in KBR. Anyone with further info?

Wingtip struck the aerobridge. Still there grounded.

Pix: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201151252892638&set=gm.730999400246691&type=1&theater

A most interesting chat I had with OD agent in LGK just now:

Me: is the flight on time ? (OD2203 LGK KUL@1840)

Agent: maybe.

Me: what do you mean?

Agent: we are not sure yet (looking very guilty)

Me: what is registration ?

Agent : 9M-LNL

Me (after researching): you knew this

Was going to be delayed right ?

Agent: erm. Maybe. yes. How do you know ?

Me: 9M-LNL is abeam KNO now still operating MXD222 at 1717 when it should have taken off as MXD2204 KUL-LGK at 1655. I predict delay to around 2045.

Me:(thinking to myself) - ingat pompuan Bodoh Ka? Just tell the truth , pax can deal with it better.

A most interesting chat I had with OD agent in LGK just now:

Me: is the flight on time ? (OD2203 LGK KUL@1840)

Agent: maybe.

Me: what do you mean?

Agent: we are not sure yet (looking very guilty)

Me: what is registration ?

Agent : 9M-LNL

Me (after researching): you knew this

Was going to be delayed right ?

Agent: erm. Maybe. yes. How do you know ?

Me: 9M-LNL is abeam KNO now still operating MXD222 at 1717 when it should have taken off as MXD2204 KUL-LGK at 1655. I predict delay to around 2045.

Me:(thinking to myself) - ingat pompuan Bodoh Ka? Just tell the truth , pax can deal with it better.

Flightradar 24? Last year, during a trip onboard Airasia, I reckon I am the earliest person to know that the flight surely gonna be delayed. My colleague was bewildered to how I came to know this earlier than anyone else on the waiting lounge when there was no official announcement yet. :D

Flightradar 24? Last year, during a trip onboard Airasia, I reckon I am the earliest person to know that the flight surely gonna be delayed. My colleague was bewildered to how I came to know this earlier than anyone else on the waiting lounge when there was no official announcement yet. :D

Yeah FR24. Apparently they did a swap to LNK so managed to be only late by 40 mins.

Thank god you did not make a scene a la auntie PPS @ KUL on youtube

No la.. Was very cordial. I was only thinking that she was BSing me to myself. Never let her know what I thought. The flight itself was excellent though. I'm pretty happy with OD.

BTW - I've seen auntie PPS around and I know who she is. She's famous in the SKL halls in SIN. (Infamous rather)

Based on their website and now bookable, OD introducing another new route for sector Penang (PEN) to/from Langkawi (LGK) operated by ATR72-600 commence on 27 Jan 2014.

OD1702 PEN - LGK 11:45 - 12:20
OD1701 LGK - PEN 12:40 - 13:15

Based on their website and now bookable, OD introducing another new route for sector Penang (PEN) to/from Langkawi (LGK) operated by ATR72-600 commence on 27 Jan 2014.

They would need to get their schedule to run on time before adding more destinations since one of their ATR 72 is now grounded at KBR.

On the same date after arrival of LGK-PEN flight sector, OD continue with PEN-KBR-PEN sector.. also starting on 27 Jan 2014

OD1722 PEN-KBR 13:35-14:20

OD1721 KBR-PEN 14:50-15:45

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=569683903115777&set=a.369644273119742.87854.366428100108026&type=1&relevant_count=1

Edited by Wan

Malindo Air staff strike over pay dispute

PETALING JAYA: Tempers flared at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) when disgruntled baggage handlers were accused of refusing to unload luggage from a Malindo Air flight from New Dehli.

Mas Zuhairin Zubir, who was among those affected, said passengers had to wait almost three hours for their luggage before they could leave the airport.

“The flight arrived on schedule at 6.15am but I only got my bags at 9.07am,” said the training and development manager.

Mas, 38, said they were left stranded without any assistance from the Malindo Air management. She added that it was Malaysian Airports Holding Berhad (MAHB) security personnel and staff who eventually attended to the fuming passengers.

Details here http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/04/17/Baggage-handlers-refuse-to-work-Malindo-Air-staff-strike-over-pay-dispute/

Meanwhile....

Our workers not on strike, says Malindo Airways

Malindo Air staff strike over pay dispute

PETALING JAYA: Tempers flared at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) when disgruntled baggage handlers were accused of refusing to unload luggage from a Malindo Air flight from New Dehli.

Mas Zuhairin Zubir, who was among those affected, said passengers had to wait almost three hours for their luggage before they could leave the airport.

“The flight arrived on schedule at 6.15am but I only got my bags at 9.07am,” said the training and development manager.

Mas, 38, said they were left stranded without any assistance from the Malindo Air management. She added that it was Malaysian Airports Holding Berhad (MAHB) security personnel and staff who eventually attended to the fuming passengers.

Details here http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/04/17/Baggage-handlers-refuse-to-work-Malindo-Air-staff-strike-over-pay-dispute/

Meanwhile....

Our workers not on strike, says Malindo Airways

to bring this old chestnut up.... I look at the word "strike" here with amusement at best. Let's just say it has been a bit too liberally used.

Refuse to work = ponteng, simple as that, as far as labour law is concerned. 2 days of that in a row = termination.

Strikes and pickets need to follow very strict rules and regulations before they can even happen. Is OD unionised?

Malindo Air targets 3 million passengers for next year

After New Delhi, the airline would spread its wings to other cities in India, Chandran said. “Trichy will be our next destination, with the inaugural flight scheduled on Jan 2; Mumbai on Feb 15; and Ahmedabad on March 19; with other cities such as Kochin and Chennai also on our radar,” he said.

The airline also planned to expand to the second-tier market such as Amritsar and Pune by the second half of 2014. — Bernama

Source : http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2013/12/31/CEO-Malindo-Air-targets-3-million-passengers/

While the enthusiasism is commendable, unfortunately the market is just not in favour of the route. Ahmedabad is axed in just under 3 months of service. http://airlineroute.net/2014/05/30/od-amd-jun14/

From OD Facebook:

999431_495749650509203_1475394440_n.jpg

Is this idea dropped?

Four new ATR routes as the grow their turboprop services at a faster pace that the Jets:

PEN-KBV-PEN

SZB-KBV-SZB

PEN-JHB-PEN

SZB-KUA-SZB

Four new ATR routes as the grow their turboprop services at a faster pace that the Jets:

PEN-KBV-PEN

SZB-KBV-SZB

PEN-JHB-PEN

SZB-KUA-SZB

Despite traffic jam during rush hour, szb is still the preferred airport for most kv regular travellers.

I just curious why OD do not offer jet services to KBR,AOR,TGG, and JHB? Are these airport not support for B739ER ?

For my opinion, they should put a few flight slots for jet as well. So pax from other connecting flight either from JT or OD or even others airlines are easily can have transfer to their next destinations at KUL.

web.jpg

Malaysia’s Malindo Air rapidly grows turboprop operation with new Penang base and Subang expansion

Lion Air Group Malaysian affiliate Malindo Air is focusing expansion in 2014 on its turboprop operation in response to opportunities on short routes within Malaysia. Malindo added five ATR 72-600s in 1H2014 and is taking another five in 2H2014, giving it a fleet of 13 ATR 72s but only eight 737-900ERs.
The heavy reliance on turboprops was not expected but enables Malindo to serve routes that are under the radar screen of all-A320 operator AirAsia. Malindo is instead competing mainly with Malaysia Airlines regional subsidiary Firefly as it has focused most of its expansion so far this year at Kuala Lumpur’s second airport Subang.
Malindo is planning to open by the end of 2014 a second turboprop base at Penang and is also looking at potentially opening bases in the east Malaysian cities of Kota Kinabalu and Kuching. The new bases will support several new routes, some of which are completely unserved.
Malindo’s planned expansion of its KLIA operation and network will be analysed in the second part in this series of reports on Malindo. This part looks specifically at Malindo’s rapid turboprop expansion.
Malindo launched services in Mar-2013 as a joint venture between Indonesia’s Lion Air Group and Malaysian aerospace company NADI. The carrier initially operated 737-900ERs on domestic trunk routes from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).
A turboprop operation was added in Jun-2014 with two ATR 72s based at Subang Airport, which is closer to central Kuala Lumpur and served as the Malaysian capital’s main airport before KLIA was opened in 1998. Subang, which is also known as Kuala Lumpur Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport (SZB), has since only handled cargo and turboprop passenger flights.
Subang Airport achieves rapid traffic growth
Subang traffic has grown steadily since 2008, driven primarily by growth at Firefly, which carved out a successful niche at Subang Airport after the airline was established in 2007. Back in 2008 the airport only handled about 300,000 passengers.
Subang traffic increased by 29% in 2013 to 1.86 million passengers, including 1.52 million domestic and 338,000 international passengers, according to Malaysia Airports data. Subang is still a designated international airport but only handles short-haul international flights from Malaysia’s three neighbouring countries – Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand – as the airport’s passenger terminal is only open to turboprop operators.

web.jpg

Malindo Air to resume international expansion in 4Q2014 with more capacity to India and Thailand

Lion Air Group Malaysian affiliate Malindo Air is planning to add capacity to India and Thailand in 4Q2014 as part of the next phase of its international expansion. Services to North Asia including mainland China are expected to be launched in 2015 as part of a subsequent phase.

Malindo has been focusing on Bangladesh, India and Indonesia since it launched international services just under a year ago. Malindo also now serves Bangkok in Thailand.
Malindo so far this year has concentrated on domestic turboprop expansion but will resume growing its international operation in 4Q2014 as it adds two 737-900ERs. The two aircraft will be Malindo’s first additional jets in over a year and will likely be followed by faster expansion of the 737 fleet in 2015. This is the second of a two part report on Lion Group's Malindo.
Malindo operates 14 domestic and 10 international routes
Malindo launched domestic services in late Mar-2013 and began international services in late Aug-2013. It currently operates a fleet of six 737-900ERs and nine ATR 72-600 turboprops.
As of the end of Jul-2014 Malindo will operate 11 turboprop routes, including eight from Kuala Lumpur Subang Airport, and 13 jet routes, all of which are from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). All but one of its turboprop routes are domestic while nine of its 13 737 routes are international.
Malindo’s last two 737s were added in Sep-2013. Malindo so far this year has added six ATR 72s and will take four more turboprops over the next few months. Malindo’s rapid expansion of its turboprop operation was analysed in the first instalment in this series of reports.
This second part looks at Malindo’s plans for expanding its 737 operation and its overall position in the Malaysian market.
See related report: Malaysia’s Malindo Air rapidly grows turboprop operation with new Penang base and Subang expansion
Malindo suspends six routes as domestic jet operation shrinks
While Malindo has not added any jets in nearly a year it has made several adjustments to its 737 network. Six 737s routes have been suspended. This includes five domestic routes – KLIA to Johor Bahru, Miri, Sibu and Tawau and Johor Bahru to Kota Kinabalu. One international route, KLIA to Ahmedabad, has also been cut.
Malindo also has reduced capacity on KLIA to Kota Kinabalu and Kuching, which were its first routes and are the two largest domestic routes in Malaysia. Malindo initially operated three daily flights on both routes and had four daily flights to Kota Kinabalu for several months in late 2013 and early 2014. The carrier currently only offers two daily flights on both routes (with a temporary reduction to one daily flight in Jul-2014 for Ramadan, a period that generally sees a significant reduction in demand for domestic services).
The adjustments reflect the intense competition in the Malaysian domestic market, which is also served by Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and AirAsia. Domestic trunk routes have particularly become highly competitive as both MAS and AirAsia pursued significant expansion following Malindo’s launch.