MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Believe FY contribute quite substantially to MH's bottom line, expect MH next year P&L will be hard pressed. Instead of ATR-72-600, FY should have ordered CRJ or ERJ to gain an advantage over OD's ATR-72.

I thought anything with J is not compatible with SZB. Private, military J excluded.

I thought anything with J is not compatible with SZB. Private, military J excluded.

True, Skypark and MH could lobby for changes.

True, Skypark and MH could lobby for changes.

If that happens.. AK will make noise too I believe.. and they too wouldnt mind having a hub at SZB too with their Jets?

Yes, they can lobby to have jet ops in Skypark but it won't go anywhere. Subang residents definitely won't allow it.

Noise profile of CRJ/ERJ can't be worst than current SZB 737-200 and 727 residents.

727 & 737-200 flight frequency is much lower than CRJ/ERJ should jet ops start in SZB.

And these 727 and 737-200 sometime depart SZB at wee hours.

I think this has already been discussed to death here. It ain't gonna happen - SZB's heydays as the international gateway to KL and Klang Valley are long gone.

The govt. is promoting it as an aerospace and defence industry hub, not a passenger hub. That was why it is dragging its feet over the Skypark Terminal 2 redevelopment for so long before approving it.

On the other hand, construction of the EADS Eurocopter complex is already complete. Spirit's second factory building is coming up. So, the future of passenger traffic will be at KLIA - with the new LCCT and third runway already well under construction.

Edited by flee

In cities like London, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Taipei, Bangkok, etc, second airport near city center didn't stop the growth of the larger airport. beside, a growing SZB will keep MAHB on his toe, become competitive and better KUL.

Edited by KK Lee

MAHB still owns Subang.

Yes SZB will continue to expand as the turboprop hub for KL area.

Malindo Air to start flights to India and Singapore after August

KOTA BARU: More than two months after starting its operations, Malindo Air is already talking about expansion to India and Singapore.

After August, the hybrid airline will start operating flights to India and Singapore. It will fly to three destinations in India New Delhi, Trichy and Cochin.

To support its expansion, it will add aircraft to its fleet and by year-end, its fleet will consist of 14 aircraft, four ATR72-600 propeller aircraft and10 B737-900ER planes.

Head of corporate sales and governmental relations Raja Sa'adi Raja Amrin said that Malindo planned to add four new ATR72-600 planes from Toulouse, France next year, bringing its total short-haul fleet to eight planes.

“We are using the latest of the ATR series to service destinations in Peninsular Malaysia where jet operations are not that practical,” he said after the inaugural flight from SkyPark Terminal in Subang to Kota Baru, Kelantan yesterday.

Malindo started operations in Malaysia on March 23. With the ATR72-600 propeller planes, it currently flies to Penang and Kota Baru. Meanwhile, the two B737-900ER planes it has, service flights to Kota Kinabalu and Kuching.

Raja Sa'adi said that by the end of this month, Malindo would operate flights to Johor, Sibu, Miri and Tawau. The airline is also looking to add Langkawi and Terengganu to its destinations list.

“Our emergence from Subang SkyPark has been well received by the public. The great response since the launch of our ATR72-600 ticket sales on May 17 is so encouraging, and we are very pleased with a 100% passenger capacity from Kota Baru to Subang,” chief executive officer Chandran Rama Muthy said in a statement.

Raja Sa'adi said Malindo was a hybrid airline because its services were akin to full-serviced airlines while the fares it offered were lower than budget airlines.

Its all-inclusive fares include in-flight entertainment, food as well as baggage allowance. In August, the airline will offer in-flight WiFi services to passengers for a small fee, Raja Sa'adi said.

He added that it was possible for the airline to reach the million-passengers mark by year end, following addition of aircraft as well as upcoming Hari Raya celebrations.

In May, the airline recorded 100,000 passengers, double the number of passengers in the previous month.

The airline will induct 100 aircraft in the next 10 years and will initially serve routes with distances of up to five hours from Malaysia.

Malindo is a 51:49 joint venture between Malaysia's National Aerospace and Defence Industries Sdn Bhd and Indonesian's PT Lion Group, which owns Lion Air and Wings Air.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/6/4/business/13194633&sec=business

Edited by alberttky

Malindo Air Upbeat Over The Sustainability Of Its Pricing Strategy

KUALA LUMPUR, June 6 (Bernama) -- Budding hybrid carrier, Malindo Air, is optimistic that it can stir the much-monopolised Malaysian aviation market, with its sustainable, market-driven cost structure and ticket pricing strategy.

Malindo Airways Chief Executive Officer Chandran Rama Muthy said the airline believed that the current low air fares that it offered was sustainable under the controlled cost structures.
This is in contrast to several analysts and aviation experts' opinion that the low ticket prices dished out by Malindo Air is not sustainable fiscally due to high operational cost.
Chandran said in the airline business, there were four main cost components - aircraft, maintenance, fuel and organisational expenditure.
"In the case of Malindo Air, we are very lucky as we have two great big brothers (parents) Lion Group and NADI (National Aerospace & Defence Industries Sdn Bhd).
"Through both parents, Malindo Air has saved tremendous cost as Lion Group has the largest order of Airbus jet aircraft while NADI, is an aircraft maintenance expert," he told Bernama.
He said Malindo Air was also planning to leverage on Lion Group, which operated Indonesia's Lion Air, to purchase aircraft spare parts at a more economical price.
Asked on whether Malindo Air's pricing strategy would be consistently low, Chandran said it depended more on the supply versus demand ecosystem.
"If the demand is big, automatically the price will be competitive. Lets wait and see. I would like to prove through my actions, rather than words," he stressed.
Malindo Air, which began service in late March 2013, is seen by many as a threat to both Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia from the product and low fares standpoint.
Currently, Malindo Air's fleet of two Boeing 737-900ER which flies out of the KL International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang, currently operates three flights daily to Kuching and three flights daily to Kota Kinabalu.
Malindo Air also flies out from Subang to Kota Baharu, Penang and Johor Baharu while three more East Malaysia routes are also on the cards soon.
The airline was also looking to commence its maiden international flights to India and Singapore by August.
Malindo Air also expects to have a fleet of 10 jets and four ATR turboprop aircraft by year-end.

So part A and part B of the plan have been executed - Namely 737 ops from KUL and ATR72 ops at SZB. Now when can we expect part C - the REAL economic clincher in the area to take off - namely the expansion of Airod to accomodate all heavy maintenance requirements of the entire LION AIR Group??

Airod website - nothing.

NADI website - nothing.

Anybody heard of any RFPs for new Hangar complexes at SZB? I heard Spirit Aerosystems is expanding..

edit: I stand corrected - in an effort to search for news articles - I came across this: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/04/04/lion-air-picks-batam-s-hang-nadim-airport-mro-base.html

So looks like Batam clinches the deal - AIROD?? Apa buat lagi?

Edited by Sandeep G

It's the inaugural launch of KUL-SBW-KUL flight tomorrow; so any of MWingers joining in the inaugural flight ceremony?

Any new B739 after LMF and LMG? Can't do new route with only 2 aircraft.

2 things ... I noticed from their booking engine the KUL-BKI route is now reduced to 2x/day and KCH-KUL 3x/day.. and this morning (6am) I saw a Malindo aircraft RON @ BKI parked at the remote gate. around A10-A11.

2 things ... I noticed from their booking engine the KUL-BKI route is now reduced to 2x/day and KCH-KUL 3x/day.. and this morning (6am) I saw a Malindo aircraft RON @ BKI parked at the remote gate. around A10-A11.

They didn't reduce the number of flights. Instead, there is some problem with their online booking engine. Sometimes one flight is not showing up even though it is operating on that day.

They didn't reduce the number of flights. Instead, there is some problem with their online booking engine. Sometimes one flight is not showing up even though it is operating on that day.

Now, if there is ever an example of shooting at one's own foot ...... :lol:

If T/S TF gets to read about this, I hope he manages to pick himself up from the floor after bout of hysterics :D

Really? didnt noticed that. But if you see the first flight ex BKI is now departing at 11am and the last flight ex BKI is now departing at 8pm instead of the usual 1020pm.

Really? didnt noticed that. But if you see the first flight ex BKI is now departing at 11am and the last flight ex BKI is now departing at 8pm instead of the usual 1020pm.

That is what i noticed last week. The 3rd flight suddenly popped up after i did the search a few times. Anyway, i did try again and it seems they are operating only two flights on some weeks in July??

That is what i noticed last week. The 3rd flight suddenly popped up after i did the search a few times. Anyway, i did try again and it seems they are operating only two flights on some weeks in July??

Exactly..

Malindo Air expanding to India and China Updated: June 15, 2013

MIRI: Malaysia’s first hybrid airline, Malindo Air will be introducing their international flight by end of this year.

Malindo Air chief executive officer, Chandran Rama Murthy said their first international flight will be on the India route and followed by southern China route.

“We strongly feel there is great potential between India and Malaysia market based on the amount of traffic movement between both countries. First, we are looking on the Krichit and Delhi,” he said during the press conference after the historic landing of Malindo Air at Miri Airport on Friday.

He added, after that Malindo Air will be targetting the market on southern part of China especially at Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Kunming.

When asked why the neighbouring country like Singapore is not being a primary target for Malindo Air to penetrate, he said that they are actually targetting the Singapore market by the end of this year.

“However, we have to refer back to the objective of Malindo Air which is making Malaysia as transit hub. Singapore may have 3 to 5 million population but there are a billion population in India and China so that by targetting India and China it will definitely boosting the airlines profit,” he said.

In the meantine, after the success of their inaugural flight to Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and Sibu, Malindo Air again achieved another milestone when they landed in Miri for the first time.

Sarawak’s Assistant Minister for Communication, Datuk Lee Kim Shin and his entourage greeted the passengers with a traditional Sarawakian reception.

“We are glad to have Malindo Air flying into Miri, as it connects travellers between Borneo and Peninsular thus providing more options not only for those who are with oil and gas companies, but also for tourist who are using Miri as gateway to various national parks in this region,” said Chandran.

“Response from the public is good. Within the first month of operation at the end of April, we registered 50,000 passengers and it increase on May when there were 125,000 passengers have been recorded using the airlines,” he said.

The support given by the state government, public, and media really boosting the airline to be one of the challengers in the airlines industry.

“The first month of non-factor was 70 per cent while the second month of non-factor reached 80 per cent and we are trying to add more flights especially to Sabah and Sarawak,” he said.

He added that Bintulu and Tawau will be the next destinations that Malindo Air will be flying to. “Once we had Bintulu and Tawau in our flight plan, we had covered the whole major route in Sabah and Sarawak,” said Chandran.

By next year, the Sabah-Sarawak route also will connected by Malindo Air via Kuching to Kota Kinabalu, Sibu to Kota Kinabalu and Miri to Kinabalu.

“Miri has a lot thing to offer especially with their tourism industry like the unique Niah and Mulu Caves and we are working closely with Sarawak Tourism Board,” he said.

Malindo Air operates three daily flights to Kota Kinabalu and Kuching and one daily flight to Sibu and Miri.

They are expecting to add Tawau and Bintulu in their flight route soon.

Malindo Air also operates three daily flights to Kota Bharu, two daily flights to Penang and one daily flight to Johor Bahru from Skypark Terminal in Sultan Abdul Azizi Shah Airport in Subang.
Edited by Ridwan Syah