MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Any on 1st flight to KCH? I'm at arrivals if you need pick up services...

Many thanks. Topspot - love it! Not a big fan of Buntal mosquitoes... unless Dolphin restaurant resurrects. Will pm you when I go next month if you are free...

No problem...lai lai...

I wonder what will be left for the 'red' airline? Who would want to fly with them?

I thought about it myself too. If you want dirt cheap fare with not much luggage - AK. If you are a bit easy on timing and don't mind slightly expensive fare - OD. The cheapest fare I have got recently from AK for BKI - KUL was RM98 return. The promo fare I got for Malindo was RM136 return. IMHO at this current junction the extra charges are justifiable - better legroom, impressive IFE, landing at KLIA instead of LCCT etc. When it rains the advantage becomes very obvious.

However, bear in mind that Malindo is very new, even with support of Lion, NADI, MAHB and what not. Their service level is still not up to mark - check in at the counter was slow, safety demo performance wasn't smooth, and delay due to "paperwork" etc. This is where the red army would win based experience alone.

Btw, there were about 10 crew on-board yesterday's flight. 2 pilots (I presume), an engineer on duty, and 7 female air crew. Yes, 7! At this current junction it's a tie between AK and OD. Both have something to offer over the other.

I thought about it myself too. If you want dirt cheap fare with not much luggage - AK. If you are a bit easy on timing and don't mind slightly expensive fare - OD. The cheapest fare I have got recently from AK for BKI - KUL was RM98 return. The promo fare I got for Malindo was RM136 return. IMHO at this current junction the extra charges are justifiable - better legroom, impressive IFE, landing at KLIA instead of LCCT etc. When it rains the advantage becomes very obvious.

However, bear in mind that Malindo is very new, even with support of Lion, NADI, MAHB and what not. Their service level is still not up to mark - check in at the counter was slow, safety demo performance wasn't smooth, and delay due to "paperwork" etc. This is where the red army would win based experience alone.

Btw, there were about 10 crew on-board yesterday's flight. 2 pilots (I presume), an engineer on duty, and 7 female air crew. Yes, 7! At this current junction it's a tie between AK and OD. Both have something to offer over the other.

That's the beauty of it all isn't it. I love MH, but i'll fly OD, AK, J8 or FY anytime - and I'm thankful they all exist and compete with each other. Otherwise we'll be paying RM700 to fly to Alor Setar on MH :)

That's the beauty of it all isn't it. I love MH, but i'll fly OD, AK, J8 or FY anytime - and I'm thankful they all exist and compete with each other. Otherwise we'll be paying RM700 to fly to Alor Setar on MH :)

Yes, it was just RM50 all in KUL-AOR earlier this year on MH.

And I managed to get some folks who originaly had no plans to travel anywhere this school holidays to travel to KCH on OD...at those what-have-you-got-to-lose fares.

Yes, full of complicated decisions for aviation enthusiast like us. :D

Yes, it was just RM50 all in KUL-AOR earlier this year on MH.

And I managed to get some folks who originaly had no plans to travel anywhere this school holidays to travel to KCH on OD...at those what-have-you-got-to-lose fares.

I think I have paid less on MH for trips to LIMA before.

Here are 2 shots to share for a start.

w9MLNF_5292s1515_zpsf89f5e9b.jpg

9MLNF_5340s2_zps39e0f923.jpg

Edited by Waiping

Malindo Air maps out strategy for flights to 12 destinations this year

KOTA KINABALU: Hot on the heels of its inaugural commercial flight to Kota Kinabalu, newcomer Malindo Air has mapped out a strategy to fly to 12 destinations this year. And if all goes as planned, the Indian capital of New Delhi would be its maiden international destination some time in the middle of this year.

Today, Malindo Air will begin plying its second route Kuala Lumpur-Kuching. Its load factor for the first day of operations averaged 70%.

Speaking to the media yesterday, Malindo Air chief executive officer Chandran Ramamuthy said a 70% load factor was good and that forward bookings were looking great.

“We even having bookings for 2014,” he said.

It was just over six months ago that Malindo Air, 49% owned by Indonesian Lion Air, was conceptualised. The airline's takeoff yesterday defied sceptics who had said it would never see launch.

“We have proven them wrong. We have taken off and we followed the timeframe set, although it was tough,” said Chandran. Malindo Air was supposed to begin operations in May but brought it forward to this month as it managed to get the aircraft numbers. It has two aircraft now, which would increase 12 by the year-end.

Its entry also marks a milestone in Malaysia's aviation industry, as now the country had a third airline after AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines.

Its entry would certainly intensify competition, although Chandran believes the market is big enough for three players, a sentiment also echoed by Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Rahim Bakri.

“Now, travellers have another choice and that is good for consumers,” observed an analyst.

Malindo Air is flying passengers on its new B787-900 extended range,offering 15kg of free baggage, snacks and free inflight entertainment, with a business class offering thrown in. The airline is offering promotional fares of RM68 one-way all-inclusive from the KL International Airport (KLIA) to Kota Kinabalu and RM38 from KLIA to Kuching, valid till Oct 28.

Chandran would not elaborate on Malindo Air's future destinations other than New Delhi, but those in the know claim it would fly to Sibu, Miri, Bintulu, Sandakan, Tawau, Labuan, Bali, Surabaya and possibly even Jakarta, which is currently serviced by Lion Air.

KLIA would be its main transit hub with Kota Kinabalu as its secondary hub.

Malindo Air has big plans for the Kota Kinabalu hub. Chandran said there would be direct connectivity from Kota Kinabalu to Indonesia, Japan, China and South Korea within two years.

Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun, meanwhile, said the arrival of Malindo Air to Kota Kinabalu would hopefully boost tourism in the state.

Last year, tourist arrivals in Sabah totalled 1.8 million.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/3/23/business/12878648&sec=business

As usual, mesti salah bila mention aircraft type.

CAPA's analysis of OD. http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/lions-malindo-breaks-airasia-mas-duopoly-in-malaysian-domestic-market-next-stop-delhiand-asia-102222

Lion's Malindo breaks AirAsia-MAS duopoly in Malaysian domestic market. Next stop: Delhi...and Asia

Lion Air Group affiliate Malindo launched services on 22-Mar-2013 with seven daily flights spread acrossMalaysia’s two largest domestic routes – Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu and Kuching. With its hybrid business model and low fares, Malindo will impact both AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines (MAS), which were previously the only two carriers on domestic trunk routes within Malaysia.

Malindo is planning rapid domestic and international expansion, leveraging Lion’s huge order book for 737s.India is poised to become Malindo’s first international destination with service to Delhi starting in Jun-2013, exploiting a market which is under-served due to cuts last year at AirAsia X. Several planned destinations in India and China will allow Malindo to increase aircraft utilisation and tap into the lucrative Malaysia-India and Malaysia-China markets. It also seeks to tap the fast-growing Indonesia-India and Indonesia-China markets, which Malindo will serve by offering connections to Lion.

From a wider market perspective, Lion's entry into Malaysia almost certainly signals the sprouting of a new pan-Asian low priced competitor, something that will tilt the balance again. It is relatively late onto the scene, but a multitude of growth potential promises ample time to establish. And Lion will not be the last.

Yes, full of complicated decisions for aviation enthusiast like us. :D

I think I have paid less on MH for trips to LIMA before.

Here are 2 shots to share for a start.

w9MLNF_5292s1515_zpsf89f5e9b.jpg

9MLNF_5340s2_zps39e0f923.jpg

Flight looks quite empty

I gather Malindo is yet another GLC and UMNO backed service... Hell would have to freeze over before i step on board an 'Odie' flight. Just my opinion..

Correct no lounge access or priority boarding.

I even had Etihad metal cutlery on OD1601 this morning.

I thought it was a well orchestrated departure for their first flight ex KCH, a discrepancy in POB that was quickly sorted after a couple more recounts.

9.5/10 from me.

I presume, pax travelling on OD Business class does NOT get any lounge access. Can anyone verifies?

Yeap no lounge.

Malindo Air maps out strategy for flights to 12 destinations this year

KOTA KINABALU: Hot on the heels of its inaugural commercial flight to Kota Kinabalu, newcomer Malindo Air has mapped out a strategy to fly to 12 destinations this year. And if all goes as planned, the Indian capital of New Delhi would be its maiden international destination some time in the middle of this year.

Today, Malindo Air will begin plying its second route Kuala Lumpur-Kuching. Its load factor for the first day of operations averaged 70%.

Speaking to the media yesterday, Malindo Air chief executive officer Chandran Ramamuthy said a 70% load factor was good and that forward bookings were looking great.

“We even having bookings for 2014,” he said.

It was just over six months ago that Malindo Air, 49% owned by Indonesian Lion Air, was conceptualised. The airline's takeoff yesterday defied sceptics who had said it would never see launch.

“We have proven them wrong. We have taken off and we followed the timeframe set, although it was tough,” said Chandran. Malindo Air was supposed to begin operations in May but brought it forward to this month as it managed to get the aircraft numbers. It has two aircraft now, which would increase 12 by the year-end.

Its entry also marks a milestone in Malaysia's aviation industry, as now the country had a third airline after AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines.

Its entry would certainly intensify competition, although Chandran believes the market is big enough for three players, a sentiment also echoed by Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Rahim Bakri.

“Now, travellers have another choice and that is good for consumers,” observed an analyst.

Malindo Air is flying passengers on its new B787-900 extended range,offering 15kg of free baggage, snacks and free inflight entertainment, with a business class offering thrown in. The airline is offering promotional fares of RM68 one-way all-inclusive from the KL International Airport (KLIA) to Kota Kinabalu and RM38 from KLIA to Kuching, valid till Oct 28.

Chandran would not elaborate on Malindo Air's future destinations other than New Delhi, but those in the know claim it would fly to Sibu, Miri, Bintulu, Sandakan, Tawau, Labuan, Bali, Surabaya and possibly even Jakarta, which is currently serviced by Lion Air.

KLIA would be its main transit hub with Kota Kinabalu as its secondary hub.

Malindo Air has big plans for the Kota Kinabalu hub. Chandran said there would be direct connectivity from Kota Kinabalu to Indonesia, Japan, China and South Korea within two years.

Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun, meanwhile, said the arrival of Malindo Air to Kota Kinabalu would hopefully boost tourism in the state.

Last year, tourist arrivals in Sabah totalled 1.8 million.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/3/23/business/12878648&sec=business

wow. B787-900 Extended Range? Typo..

Guys wanted to ask what is that thing just before the word BOEING on the B739? Inside it should be around row 26. There is no window there.

Guys wanted to ask what is that thing just before the word BOEING on the B739? Inside it should be around row 26. There is no window there.

I think that is where the optional emergency exit doors will be if they decided to go for a slightly denser configuration, complying to regulations. If you noticed there is an extra exit on Lion's 737 which are higher in density.

Edited by Walter Sim

No kidding ?! :shok:

Most certainly did, took a photo.

After just flying back into KCH on -AHM I can't honestly say AK's standards have declined. Crew were wearing jeans for starters is this a new thing? Gone are the days of the energetic and stylish crews they were lethargic and non inspiring. The planes have lost that polished red exterior, the ones I saw tonight looked dull and tired. I did see sharklets -AQQ and -AQU and these looked super sexy :)

The LCCT is still like a zoo. TF needs to take notice as Malaysians aren't silly and given time people will switch over to OD, if Malindo are considered a low cost carrier Air Asia are surely an ultra low cost carrier and I'm sure will soon be people's third choice when booking flights.

I work back home in the field of transport & logistics in a executive management role so I have depth and credibility in my observations.

I'd be surprised if AK win Skytrax best low cost airline 2013.

I think that is where the optional emergency exit doors will be if they decided to go for a slightly denser configuration. Look at Lion's 737-900ERs which are higher density. There is a door there.

It is not activate...just a wall from inside and WINDOWLESS!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200443511324154 you can see it from this video posted on FB...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

I'm on OD1601 in the morning so will try and get a photo of row 26? It just looks like a blanked out side panel windowless.

From what I saw this morning there doesn't look to be and 'bad' seats as such.

Congrats to Malindo on their KCH services also.

Yeap row 26 devoid of windows on both sides. Mwingers Window viewers might want to avoid this.

Row 26 can be made into a door if seating config is manipulated i guess..

DSCF1568_zpsb4bc48e6.jpg

During press frenzy

DSCF1531_zpse4915b78.jpg

DSCF1412_zpsa8568de4.jpg

DSCF1351_zpse465e3cc.jpg

DSCF1358_zps57b8d237.jpg

I may be wrong, but i thought row that suppose to be an extra emergency exit? something only B739 have.

Sad isn't it??? Apparently malindo only operates with 168 passengers and they don't need those emergency exits to be activated...

It's not sad, but great for the legroom. Btw, they operate with 180 pax. 3 rows of 2x2biz seats. 28 rows of Y seats, from Rows 4-33. (No rows 13 & 14)