MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Just a question, who can find when is the delivery slots for its' 3rd plane onwards as it was reported that more domestic routes and first international route will take off by June?

Lion Air likely to allot some of its latest A320 aircraft to new Malindo Air

PETALING JAYA: Lion Air group is likely to allot some of its latest A320 family aircraft to Malindo Air, which is set to take to the skies this Friday in an inaugural flight to Kota Kinabalu.

How many and when these aircraft would be allotted would depend on Malindo's network strategy.

Lion Air group co-founder and chief executive officer Rusdi Kirana toldStarBiz that “it depends on the market”.

For now, Malindo has taken delivery of two B737-900ERs and will receive its third next week.

By year-end, it would have a dozen Boeing aircraft and its fleet will grow to over 100 in five years' time. Its aircraft will come from Lion Air, which had in late 2010, ordered 230 B737 and B787 aircraft.

Lion Air group owns Lion Air, Wings Air and Batik Air (to be launched later this year) and a 49% stake in Malindo Air.

Malaysia is the group's first hub out of Indonesia. The remaining 51% stake in Malindo Air is held by Nadi Sdn Bhd, a company led by low-profile businessman Tan Sri Ahmad Johan.

Those in the know claim that apart from Malindo Air, the A320 might also be used by Batik Air.

Rusdi believes that the fuel-efficient A320 family would enable Lion Air to achieve the lowest possible operating cost and enable the airline to continue offering the most competitive fares in the Asian region.

Malindo Air has big plans to scale heights up to China and even India, and for that, it needs the right aircraft to enable it to offer low fares amidst a competitive landscape.

The airline is starting with three daily flights to Kota Kinabalu, and a day later, will start flying four times daily to Kuching from the KL International Airport. Other routes planned for take-off some time in the near future include Bintulu, Sibu, Sandakan and Miri.

Lion Air has the lion's share or about 45% of the domestic air passenger market in Indonesia by offering low fares.

That is the strategy that Malindo Air is deploying.

Malindo Air's one-way, all-in promotional airfare starts from RM38 to Kuching and RM68 to Kota Kinabalu till October.

Malindo Air chief executive officer Chandran Ramamuthy said there was an “encouraging'' trend in bookings for the first two routes and he is hoping for full loads.

Lion Air group placed the latest order of 234 aircraft, worth US$24bil (RM74.94bil) , on Monday, following the order for the earlier 230 Boeing 737 and 787 jets for US$22bil it had placed in late 2010. The A320 family aircraft would comprise of 109 A320neo, 65 A321neo and 60 A320ceo aircraft.

With both the mega-purchases in place, Lion Air group can boast of more than 600 aircraft by 2025, making it among the top-ten of the world's biggest airlines in terms of fleet size, a report said.

Currently it operates 92 planes - all Boeings except for one McDonnell Douglas - which makes it number nine among regional carriers in terms of fleet size.

Brendan Sobie from the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation said in a report that the vast potential of Indonesia's aviation market, and the scope for offshoot carriers, supports the scale of Lion Air's orders.

“They see an increase in demand that is brought on by the conditions in the home market. If you look at the projections for growth in Indonesia, assuming that Lion maintains its current market share and leading position, they are going to need a few hundred more aircraft just to keep that position,” he said.

“They also have an ambition to play more in international markets and to open up affiliates in other countries,'' he added.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/3/20/business/12861623&sec=business

spotted side by side from my flight in KLIA few days back. Looking forward to more travel options soon!!

Untitled-1.jpg

spotted side by side from my flight in KLIA few days back. Looking forward to more travel options soon!!

Untitled-1.jpg

One is with Lion Decal or is that a B738 which is to be returned to Lion Air.

-LNG I believe left US early yesterday on its delivery flight so I'm not convinced it'll be ready for service Friday and/or Saturday.

Remember what happened to -XXA when she was on her first commercial flights to PER, that caused a lot of embarrassment for D7.

Guys.. if its true that Malindo will be using some A320 from their recent massive orders.. how will that affect the pilots? Wouldn't their pilot needs type certification for both plane types?

Guys.. if its true that Malindo will be using some A320 from their recent massive orders.. how will that affect the pilots? Wouldn't their pilot needs type certification for both plane types?

Generally airlines don't type pilots on both Airbus and Boeing at the same time.

From their FB:

===

Important: Malindo air Flight Information.

From KUL to BKI
Departure Hall, Level 5, Main Terminal Building, Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
Check-In: Counter 14-19 (Row F)

From KUL to KCH
Departure Hall, Level 5, Main Terminal Building, Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
Check In: Counter 14-19 (Row F)

From BKI to KUL
Departure Hall, Level 3, Kota Kinabalu International Airport
Check in: Counter C

From KCH to KUL
Departure Hall, Level 3, Kuching International Airport
Check in: Counter C7, C8, C9

Thank you for flying Malindo air. We wish you a pleasant journey ahead.

===

Edited by Naim

k700.jpg

Boeing has delivered the 7,500th 737 to come off the production line to Malaysia-based Malindo Air. Malindo Air is a joint venture by Jakarta, Indonesia-based Lion Air and Malaysia’s National Aerospace and Defence Industries. Malindo Air is using the Next-Generation 737-900ER to launch its low-fares service. Pic:Courtesy of Boeing

KUALA LUMPUR, March 21 -- Boeing has delivered the 7,500th 737 to come off the production line to Malaysia-based Malindo Air.

Malindo Air is a joint venture by Jakarta, Indonesia-based Lion Air and Malaysia’s National Aerospace and Defence Industries.

Malindo Air is using the Next-Generation 737-900ER to launch its low-fares service.

Malindo Air's 737-900ER (Extended Range) with the passenger-pleasing Boeing Sky Interior features new modern sculpted sidewalls and window reveals, LED lighting that enhances the sense of spaciousness and larger pivoting overhead stowage bins.

The Boeing 737 is the best-selling commercial jetliner of all time with total orders exceeding 10,500 airplanes.

Nearly 85 percent of Boeing’s backlog of more than 3,100 Next-Generation 737s will be delivered with the Boeing Sky Interior.

--BERNAMA

http://aviation.bernama.com/news.php?id=936108&lang=en&cat=b

Edited by Ridwan Syah

At 1530 LT just now I saw on FR24 9M-LNG flight number MXD01 passing thru BKI presumably en-route to KUL at FL330.

Was told by a friend that the ceremony at BKI is only for the second flight tomorrow afternoon arriving circa 1545, not the first arriving circa 0925. First flight too early? :(

Ok some news from my newly elected spy from my newly established OD's Bruit Unit:

Ramai sekali ground staff on training. semua staff sendiri. pakai pass pelawat KLIA. even pilot and FAs pun td guna pass pelawat

nmpk few org puteh monitor diorang kt check in gate.orang top management kot

sempat sembang ngn brother manage area tu. dier kata opis semua kt level 4 for the time being. and misi diorang is the first flight to take off

minah yg kt kaunter check in blkg dier ade 2 org monitor. masih on job training agaknye.

Seluar hitam..baju putih..tp baju putih tu mcm uniform kejer short sleeve..yg sarung kain kebaya crew tu rupanye sama pattern baju crew Lion Air..tie captain sama gak.

Takde ceremony. most likely 2nd flight sbb aku tgk gate A2 bnyk belon...gate aku A4..mcm 7 FAs je aku nmpk td..2 business and 5 econ..nk boarding ni

Low load maybe first flight on friday pagi. mcm ramai je FO2 diorang naik ni..mcm satu group.

Here is a screenshot of their IFE. Available in 5 languages.

6106_10151404209703541_1410439536_n.jpg

One is with Lion Decal or is that a B738 which is to be returned to Lion Air.

The Lion Air is PK-LKS. My plane passed by it the other day. PK-LNG was just behind us. I didn't know she touched down for the first time on Malaysia's soil. I was wondering why doesn't OD starts with -LNA instead of -LNF/G??

http--,,--//67048101515663718464952.jpg

Edited by JuliusWong

Should we have a thread just for malindo joyride? So excited...not that I'm flying...hahaha!

Kenneth, where do we do dinner tomorrow Saturday sunset time at the river? Let's invite all Malindo groupies in town.

More spy news from the OD's Bruit Unit:

mmg confirm td group FOs depa..saje join flight..diorang ade 180 selected..so it will be batch by batch..10person absorb..then another 10..as the new plane arrive..aku sembang with one of FO td.

ptg nnti ade ceremony kt gate 6 BKI...by the way td xde water canon salute.

This may be old news, but last night there were 2 aircraft with Malindo livery at MTB KLIA. Sorry no rego and no photo as it was late at night and they were quite far away.

Kenneth, where do we do dinner tomorrow Saturday sunset time at the river? Let's invite all Malindo groupies in town.

Top spot seafood...7.30pm? Or earlier for those with earlier departure. Anyone in town...just pm me your phone no...even those not spending a night...I'm free on Saturday just for this event...hahaha!