MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

In-Flight entertainment at every seat?

"Low-cost" taken to the next level, a slap in the face for AA. But can they survive?

Yes, the real test will come after their promo fares expire in October. After that, we will get to see what their real fares are and whether they can survive.

Just checked the web site and the booking engine is still closed.

Yes, the real test will come after their promo fares expire in October. After that, we will get to see what their real fares are and whether they can survive.

Since the launch the website is still down! So much for confidence. Would the aircraft be there when it is time for you to fly? :bad:

When the website was up I managed to check fares for KCH in Nov and Dec. Around RM180++ one way for economy

Its Business As Usual For Firefly Despite Malindo's Entry

SUBANG, March 13 (Bernama) -- Community airline, Firefly is not anticipating any negative impact to its operations and load factor, as new hybrid carrier, Malindo Airways prepares to commence operations later this month.

Its Chief Executive Officer Ignatius Ong said competition was not something new to the five-year old airline, and believed, it would triumph due to several travel niches.

"There is still a high level of demand to be catered for. When Malindo Airways enters the industry, there would be competition. But I believe, there is room for everyone.

"With our operations based at the Subang city airport, we have a niche that our competitors do not have," Ong told reporters after Firefly's Career in Aviation Programme, here today.

Malindo Airways is slated to commence operation on March 22 with a hybrid business model, which offers a full-service carriers' offering for low-cost carrier (LCC) type fares.

For a start, Malindo Airways has announced a one-way, all-in promotional air fare from as low as RM38 to Kuching and RM68 to Kota Kinabalu from Kuala Lumpur.

Ong said Firefly is not disturbed by the low-promotional fares that Malindo Airways is offering, as "new airlines have to seek passengers."

"I have even seen lower fares that what they (Malindo) are offering. At the end of the day, we must know how to keep our customers, and I am sure Firefly is on the right track," he said.

Meanwhile, Ong said Firefly would be establishing Johor Baharu as its newest hub, besides the Subang and Penang airports at present.

"We have seen tremendous demand from Johor and are going to be very strong there in the coming months. It will be our new hub.

"The two new ATR turboprops to be given to us this year, will also be used to serve the Johor Baharu hub," he added.

This year, he said Firefly would not be aggressively introducing new routes, but instead reinforcing some of the existing ones, while adding more frequencies to others where needed.

He also said firefly expects about 10 to 15 per cent growth in passengers this year, against the 1.7 million carried in 2012.

"If everything goes in line with our plan, we will be able to reach the two million passengers mark by year-end," he added.

The two million passengers target was initially expected to be realised by the end of next year, according to the business plan of Malaysia Airlines, Firefly's parent airline.

From OD's FB page:

735236_428082433942592_111899534_n.jpg

Business Class
::45" seat pitch
::In-Flight Entertainment
:: Meals
::Check in at no cost up to 30kgs
::Depart from Main Terminal Building KLIA
::Fly conveniently from Main Terminal Building KLIA
::Enjoy the convenience and safety by using our aerobridge

601320_428081477276021_1641444106_n.jpg

Economy Class

::Extra legroom 32" inches seat pitch
::Check in at no cost with baggage allowance up to 15kg
::Snacks
::In-Flight Entertainment
::Fly conveniently from Main Terminal Building KLIA
::Enjoy the convenience and safety by using our aerobridge

531474_428084277275741_2130195703_n.jpg

Malindo Entry To Have Negative Impact On MAS, Says RHB Research

KUALA LUMPUR, March 13 (Bernama) -- Malindo Airways' cheaper promotional fares might have a negative impact on Malaysia Airlines (MAS), said RHB Research.

In a note Wednesday, RHB Research said although cheaper promotional fares might boost Malindo's entry into the local aviation industry the impact might not be prolonged.

"Malindo is operating at high cost as it is in its start-up phase and as such, we feel that it would be a matter of time before it stops offering such low fares," it said.

The airline is set to commence operations on March 22 from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

It has announced a promotional airfares of RM38 and RM68 to Kuching and Kota Kinabalu,

respectively, which are relatively lower if compared with MAS' all-in fare for similar routes of as low as RM159.

Malindo's airfare is inclusive of all in-flight standard services plus luggage.

It is slated to commence operation with a hybrid business model, which offers a full-service carriers' offering for low-cost carrier-type fares.

The airline will be the first in Malaysia to operate the Boeing 737-900ER with a capacity of 180 seats and capable of serving destinations within a five-and-a-half-hour range.

Malindo Airways is a joint venture between Malaysia's National Aerospace Defence Industries Sdn Bhd and Indonesia's domestic carrier Lion Air parent, PT Lion Group.

In another note earlier, RHB Research had compared Malindo with Firefly, where the community airline's jet operations were loss-making despite churning high loads.

On MAS' turnaround, RHB Research said it could still materialise in view of its improving operating statistics, better cost management that would eventually boost operating margins, positive yield from route rationalisation and participation in the oneworld alliance.

MAS' January 2013 operating statistics showed positive improvement, with its overall load factor improving by 160 basis points year-on-year, it said.

It said MAS' domestic revenue passenger kilometre (RPK) and load factor declined by 2.1 per cent and 9.5 basis points year-on-year, respectively.

The international passenger numbers reported an increase where the load factor inched up by one per cent on the back of stronger RPK and available seat kilometres (ASK) of 5.2 per cent and 3.7 per cent year-on-year, respectively, it said.

On MAS' February prospect, RHB Research said it was confident the national carrier should report better numbers, having joined the oneworld alliance since Feb 1, 2013.

"We continue to believe that the additional passengers fed from the oneworld alliance would boost the national airline's yield and revenue.

"Furthermore, being the only Asean airline in the alliance will clearly give MAS an advantage and help lift load factor," it said.

wow, using aerobridge with 35 mins turnaround. I remember one of the reason why AK is not using aerobridge (at least this is what they claim) is to achieve quicker turnaround without using it.

Expect 50% of Malindo pax will be from MH and AK respectively. How much MH and AK will be effected is subject to Malindo capacity and pricing.

wow, using aerobridge with 35 mins turnaround. I remember one of the reason why AK is not using aerobridge (at least this is what they claim) is to achieve quicker turnaround without using it.

AK is using aerobridge outside Malaysia.

Maybe that is why it is 35 mins. AK turnaround time is 25 mins.

I have been on board flights that turned around in less than 25 mins (at LCCT).

With limited aircrafts and trying to do some many sectors a day, late on 1 sector the whole day schedule is doomed! Make me wonder are they trying to limit sale by conveniently not putting back up their website. Good business sense will tell you to have the website up again ASAP if you are selling online. Just check still no online bookings!

With limited aircrafts and trying to do some many sectors a day, late on 1 sector the whole day schedule is doomed! Make me wonder are they trying to limit sale by conveniently not putting back up their website. Good business sense will tell you to have the website up again ASAP if you are selling online. Just check still no online bookings!

Maybe it is because they want to "reserve" the tickets for sale during the MATTA sale this weekend. I think that the initial rush of bookings on the first day surprised them!

Operation could always include slack in block time citing ATC, etc to.

IW instead of OD? Got an replied email by Malindo Air yesterday for flights schedule.

Jim did put a big post script about it.

Note all schedules listed above is taken from Sabre’s timetable listing, which currently displays Lion Air’s turboprop unit WingsAir’s “IT” code. However, the airline will be using “OD” coded flight numbers. Operational schedule listed above may vary from the airline’s website listing.

Operational schedule listed above may vary from the airline’s website listing.

Isn't that alarming ?! :shok:

Got flight schedule from Malindo Air email yesterday.

KUALA LUMPUR – KOTA KINABALU – KUALA LUMPUR

FLT.NO SECTOR DEPART ARRIVAL DUR FREQUENCY
OD 1002 KUL/BKI 06:40 09:15 2:35 DAILY
OD 1001 BKI/KUL 09:50 12:15 2:25 DAILY
OD 1014 KUL/BKI 12:55 15:30 2:35 DAILY
OD 1013 BKI/KUL 16:05 18:30 2:25 DAILY
OD 1028 KUL/BKI 19:10 21:45 2:35 DAILY
OD 1027 BKI/KUL 22:20 00:45 2:25 DAILY

KUALA LUMPUR – KUCHING – KUALA LUMPUR

OD 1602 KUL/KCH 06:50 08:35 1:45 DAILY
OD 1601 KCH/KUL 09:10 10:50 1:40 DAILY
OD 1608 KUL/KCH 11:30 13:15 1:45 DAILY
OD 1607 KCH/KUL 13:50 15:30 1:40 DAILY
OD 1622 KUL/KCH 16:10 17:55 1:45 DAILY
OD 1621 KCH/KUL 18:30 20:10 1:40 DAILY
OD 1630 KUL/KCH 20:50 22:35 1:45 DAILY
OD 1629 KCH/KUL 23:10 00:50 1:40 DAILY

One aircraft to ply KCH route, and a second to do the BKI one. But if there is any tech issue, the whole day's schedule will be compromised since there is no spare aircraft to cover emergencies.

Each aircraft will work for 18 hours (with about 3-4 hours of intermittent breaks in between sectors) and then rest for 6 hours everyday.

One aircraft to ply KCH route, and a second to do the BKI one. But if there is any tech issue, the whole day's schedule will be compromised since there is no spare aircraft to cover emergencies.

Should the inevitable happens, I think the B738 (LNB) can always act as a backup. Plus I think at any time, a rescue plane can be sent from Indonesia.

Question: Do they have a hangar in KUL?

Got flight schedule from Malindo Air email yesterday.

KUALA LUMPUR – KOTA KINABALU – KUALA LUMPUR

OD 1002 KUL/BKI 06:40 09:15 2:35 DAILY

OD 1001 BKI/KUL 09:50 12:15 2:25 DAILY

OD 1014 KUL/BKI 12:55 15:30 2:35 DAILY

OD 1013 BKI/KUL 16:05 18:30 2:25 DAILY

OD 1028 KUL/BKI 19:10 21:45 2:35 DAILY

OD 1027 BKI/KUL 22:20 00:45 2:25 DAILY

Some of the flight time is different from what i've seen when their online booking engine was still working last week. And i managed to help my dad to book a one-way ticket from KUL to BKI for travel in June yesterday. I was told the flight will depart from KUL at 1310.

By the way, most RM68 and RM38 fares are completely sold out. Some flights in June are going for RM300+ one-way :o

I spent 24 minutes on phone most of it on hold this morning trying to book a KCH-KUL-KCH on the evening of Friday 22/3 for Kenneth and myself only to be told that KCH flights don't begin till 23/3, was told only BKI flights operating on 22/3??