MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

The scene at MTB Level 4 yesterday was chaos. I was there, trying my luck. First impression, no system at all. Recruitment was planned hastily, there's no point in giving out test if people are free to discuss. My friend was the last to be called in for interview, having to wait from 11am to 6pm.

Few points to ponder :

1) Why not hire like other airlines, submit CV, then be called for interview and sit for tests, maybe sim check?

2) Why not separate recruitment days for flight crew, engineering and general positions on separate days? The place was too small, too many people clueless where to go.

3) Why not set up proper structure first, Chief Pilot, Engineering Manager etc before going on recruitment spree?

4) No proper line set up, i even saw some forms filled by hopefuls being left in the open. What if someone came and deliberately throw the forms?

5) Read in the star, Malindo will arrange with banks for pilots to pay for ratings.

This trait of making pilots pay for rating will discourage experienced guy from joining in. Just look at how Lion Air choose their co-pilots. Why dont they learn something and invest in human capital (provide training with bonds, and choose carefully).

Rusdi Kirana was there yesterday. I'm going to try my luck again tomorrow.

Giving you a flavour of what the company is going to be like.

Take some pictures tomorrow ya!

Pictures is all over FB, even MAB start making noise about the inconvenience faced by staff by the number of turnouts.. I was there, and its a total chaos. To make it worse a lot of people also went to KLIA for Hajj flight.. Its very packed inside out of the arrival floor.. But amongst the freshies pilot, there's a lot of experienced pilot as well. Spoke to 2 737NG MAS pilot, they said they're coming to see what Malindo is offering.. And of course they get priority for screening..

Edited by Syukri

It sure made the headlines, " We will take all 600".

One would be inclined to think that the Malindo guys already had taken the Redskins Spin Doktor Department

on its payrol to loud mouth the gullible.

So, into perspective, as per the Malindo Biz Plan, they will operate 10 (ten) aircraft in the first year. Gradualy coming to 100 aircraft after 10 (ten) years.

As they will be competing LCC then they need 5 crew per aircraft, ( given a daily production of 16 hours), and one standby crew.

For 10, (ten), aircraft they would need therefore a maximum of 60, ( sixty), F/O's.

These sixty F/O's then must first go to 739 type rating, loan organised by Malindo, but still a loan on top of the finance commitments these F/O's already have, and then be absorbed on line.

The other 540 wannabees must wait their turn, next year or te years thereafter, if any.

Overflow into the LionAir mainline is not a option, as they have covered it in Jakarta just fine with their pay to fly scheme.

But as for the hype, yes, 1200 ( twelvehundred), CPL, frozen ATPL holders have been shown a carrot and Malindo will save the day for them. It is like selling snake oil, the cure for all.

What Malindo realy needs are at least 60 experienced on type Captains in the first year and that will be a challenge.

These Captains have a good job already and only can be enticed to switch employer if T and C's are way better then they have now. Besides that, most of them will think twice before jumping ship to a start up, no matter the level of bravado from the spin doktors.

Nadi Sdn Bhd, shouild have a close look at how these things would pan out in the next few months. it is there reputation as well which is on the line.

Furthermore i think that Uncle Tony does not have sleepless nights as yet, and he could be right.

Cheers

A.v.S.

Very true Art. Of all 600 freshies hopefuls who turned up for the past 2 days, we must understand not all have the required standard to be on the right seat. People failing simulators happen all the time. If they are not careful with the selection, the Chief pilot for training gonna have headache and heart attack after few months on the job. Not looking down on others but i was having a hard time too passing the simulator stage. Not only you needed skill but also the right attitude to survive and strive up to the challenge. If they overlook the right traits during their simplified walk-in interview then God helps.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

maybe they didnt expect the response will be so overwhelming ?? :D

Yes indeed. The Malindo's interviewer didnt expect the turnout to be this big. I arrived KLIA at 8.30am on the first day. Went straight to level 4 and there was quite a long queue already. Didnt manage to get interviewed on the first day. My impression of the first day was it was not systematic. But we cant blame the company because they didnt expect the huge turnout in the first place. On second day, I arrived around 7am and was the first 10 Q-ing up in line. On the second day it was more systematic and more to first come first serve basis. Those came early get to be interview early. On the first day, MAB did send their security team to Malindo's office to complain about the crowd.

PR stunt? "Let's see how many people, altogether want to come. Let the papers see it, and snap photos."

Really, if they wanted to do it systematically, and they've already set up an airline back home, so they know how recruitment goes, they would have asked folks to send in resumes and only call up those who qualify.

The figure of 600 pilots will be logical if Lion Group did not continue the contract of its Europe pilot expats...

expats? These European are not even being paid fairly. Lion made good money on European co-pilots and soon Malaysians who desire to join Lion will join the ranks as paymaster to Lion. The cost of training co-pilots is already zero being done this way. No wonder their tickets are cheap. First 120 hours is being paid by poor co-pilots.

....... so as Air Asia ........ about RM70k for a new joiner ........ that is the current trend I am afraid. Even Ryannair asked for about EURO33k for the training itself. I thought most guys are willing to pay because of they have so called 'passion in flying' ....... :drinks:

:hi:

Air Asia ditched the scheme few years ago. For CPL holders, the type rating will be borne by the company in exchange of 6 years bond. For cadets, AirAsia will arrange loan with them. Mostly MPL. And bonded too.

Worse in Lion, CPL holder WITH B737 NG Type rating, must pay USD30K just to fly for first 500hrs, ZERO salary. Just get a hotel room with breakfast.. After finishing 500hrs mark (Line Training), then only they get paid... Pay-to-fly scheme..

But Malindo is not going to just compete on fares, it would provide larger seat pitch, light meals, in-flight entertainment and WiFi facilities and free baggage allowance.

Sounds almost too good to be true

Any insider news on Malindo? It's been so quiet lately after the big recruitment interview. They planned to start flying somewhere in March, and I think they should announce their destinations and open their booking by now.

I do hope this JV will give the red minibus company runs for its money. However, rumors has it that there are some disagreement between 'umnoputra & bapak-bapak' when come to $$$$$ ......

There has been rumors that the NADI part of the airline is now transferred to Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhari. Anybody else ever heard of this?

If that is true, it would be very high likely that the airline will be kicking off ....... strong financial back up but with GE13 coming up, the scenario might be different if the current ruling party is sentenced to death ....... :sorry:

The agreement for the JV to start is fast nearing the deadline. Heard the problem is, even though they are majority shareholder, the 'workshop' refuse to invest agreed amount of money for initial operation leaving bapak Rusdi contemplating whether to pick the tab or not.

Typical rent-seeker.

"In the mean time, back at the farm..."

(At the red minibus HQ in Jakarta they are clapping their hands in joy. Who needs enemies when you have friends like this.

Money talks, bulls**t walks.)

Will they ever learn in Boleh land?

Cheers

Art

KUALA LUMPUR: The vibrant Malaysian aviation sector is expected to spur further growth next year with potential competition expected from new entrant, Malindo Airways, which is poised to hog the industry limelight.

The announcement of Malindo Airways’ entry, made early this year, is one of many news-making events that shook the industry in 2012 apart from the aborted Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and AirAsia Bhd share swap deal in May, the delivery of MAS’ first Airbus A380 in June and a recent firm order placed by AirAsia for an additional 100 Airbus A320 aircraft.

The new low-cost airport, klia2, scheduled for operation in May 2013, is also expected to increase the number of airlines arriving in Malaysia, thus increasing competition in the low-cost segment. With so much competition expected in the local aviation industry next year, MAS remains cautiously optimistic of a challenging operating environment.

MAS managing director Ahmad Jauhari Yahya expressed this optimism since Malaysia is located within the centre of the aviation industry’s future growth hub.

“As increased demand will be driven by emerging markets, a host of low-cost carriers now offer value-for-money travel and increased competition, thereby putting pressure on yields of all airline players,” he said. “In addition, rising fuel costs, demand shocks and seat over-capacity with the entry of new players like Malindo will continue to bring challenges.”

AirAsia Bhd chief executive officer Aireen Omar and her Firefly counterpart, Ignatius Ong, are both excited about 2013, despite the intense competition the airlines could face next year.

The main contributing factor to the confidence is believed to be the clear network expansion roadmap that both the airlines have in hand, in addition to the deliveries of many new fuel-saving and efficient aircraft.

Aireen said that AirAsia was used to competition, thus its operations or future plans would not be disrupted by the entry of Malindo.

“All our future new routes will only cost us marginal expenses and effort, as it will be complemented by the brand and network that we have built up in the past 11 years,” she said. “This is different from a new airline, which has to start and establish itself in every sector of the industry.”

Ong, on the other hand, said Firefly had always seen the challenge of competition as an encouraging factor to keep the team focused on the community airline’s value and aim to produce outstanding results.

“(The) key point is to keep to what we are good at, strengthen it further and tap even more customer base, moving forward. This will ensure that we can be a brand that customers trust and they will come back time and again,” he added. — Bernama

Meanwhile, OSK Research Aviation analyst Ahmad Maghfur Usman foresees intense competition in Malaysia’s aviation industry, with a potential price war arising from more competition in the low-cost segment.

He said MAS would not be involved in the price war as the full-fledged airline preferred to stick to its niche premium segment.

“More competition in the low-cost segment is definite and this will lower airfares and, hence, stimulate more demand for travel given the discount in airfares.

“So in any price war, if it does happen, AirAsia’s fares will be impacted as Malindo has promised to introduce even lower discounted airfares.

“Price wars and intensifying competition typically benefits the consumers as they get attracted to lower airfares and this spurs more travel,” Ahmad Maghfur added. — Bernama

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/12/31/business/12519659&sec=business

Hey did any of guys receieve a call from them saying tat youve got the job? For fresh pilots position. Thers no black and white and u have to pay for the type rating