MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Does anyone find Malindo's name a bit cheesy? It is the combination of Malaysia and Indonesia.... Surely there are better names out there...

Absolutely ... but then again, it could be worse if it is name Indolaysia Airlines.

I wish the name Batik Air had been reserved for this venture ... as both nations are known for their gorgeous batik.

KC Sim

Malindo - such a horrible name, definitely one for the uninitiated. Plus the name Malindo reminds me of a textile shop somewhere along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman in downtown KL...pretty sure I've come across it before..

If the price is right and the product decent, I cannot care less even if they name it Rubbish Air :)

(in perspective - cheapos not unlike yours truly generally also cannot care less if the price is dirt cheap and product is rubbish :D)

Edited by BC Tam

I flew Buddha Air in Nepal recently, the weather was horrendous, but I felt at peace ...

Perhaps they can try Parameswara Air... it involves both nation, even a third one (Singapore)... except the name has a bit of negative connotation, which the person involved was once a fugitive turned sultan! (depends who side of history you are with, I guess!).

Batik Air is nice, but thought the name was previously used or has been taken?

Mr Tam... does Rubbish Air involves rubbishy smell inside the tube? Yikes....

Edited by S V Choong

Mr Tam... does Rubbish Air involves rubbishy smell inside the tube? Yikes....

note the precautionary term of "if ..... product decent" in my reply :p

I think that once you demonstrate you have product and service excellence, the name will not matter at all. This is especially so if the fares are also affordable.

Malindo - such a horrible name, definitely one for the uninitiated. Plus the name Malindo reminds me of a textile shop somewhere along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman in downtown KL...pretty sure I've come across it before..

did you mean 'Munlong'?

Perhaps they can try Parameswara Air... it involves both nation, even a third one (Singapore)... except the name has a bit of negative connotation, which the person involved was once a fugitive turned sultan! (depends who side of history you are with, I guess!).

Parameswara is a good name. Way better than Malindo Airways. Malindo sounds like a harsh word in one of the many Chinese dialects :D

Well, Parameswara was born a prince. And he survived the collapse of Sriwijaya Empire and founded a new country in another land. So i think the positive things about him easily outweigh the negative things :)

I flew Buddha Air in Nepal recently, the weather was horrendous, but I felt at peace ...

Haha, this one tops it all.

If i were they, i would rename it to Canary Air. Wait, Kitty Air (since the parent is Lion, however pretty close to Kitty Hawk Airlines), or maybe Peninsular Air.

Like I said before, it's a jungle up there.

Edited by Waiping

Parameswara is a good name. Way better than Malindo Airways. Malindo sounds like a harsh word in one of the many Chinese dialects :D

Well, Parameswara was born a prince. And he survived the collapse of Sriwijaya Empire and founded a new country in another land. So i think the positive things about him easily outweigh the negative things :)

Haha... reminds me of horse's penis... in Hakka :)

Canary Air is pretty random... we are not English and hence irrelevant to our context...

Edited by S V Choong

KUALA LUMPUR: Frills-free airline, AirAsia, will not hesitate to establish itself in India if the “aviation environment” and tax structure are “conducive and friendly” for low-cost airline operations.

Group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes (pic) said although the Indian government had allowed 49% foreign direct investments (FDIs) in the country's civil aviation sector, the cost of operating an airline there was still higher than many developed nations. “This is the power of AirAsia. Everyone wants us but the right infrastructure and environment must be there for us to go there (India).

“The airport tax is already very high and I even heard that they are going to further increase the tax, forcing many airlines to quit from certain destinations.

“If everything is right, then we will be stupid not to enter the Indian market, which boasts more than a billion population,” he told reporters after opening AirAsia's Badminton Academy here yesterday.

p5-airasiafernd.JPG Group CEO of AirAsia Tan Sri Tony Fernandes posing with badminton players from the AirAsia badminton academy during the launch of the academy in Petaling Jaya. - THE STAR/AZHAR MAHFOF

Fernandes said he would be visiting India late this month but not for a joint-venture discussion as was reported but to receive an Indian international award for his remarkable achievements in the global aviation industry.

He said the most crucial area that AirAsia always paid attention before venturing into a new market was keeping its cost down. “It's for that reason AirAsia's medium-and long-haul affiliate, AirAsia X, withdrew from flying to New Delhi and Mumbai.”

An AirAsia unit in India and China is said to be the ultimate aspiration of Fernandes, the brain behind the budget airline's meteoric rise since its inception in late 2001.

Shortly after the Indian government gave the go-ahead for FDIs in the civil aviation and multi-brand retail on Sept 14, Fernandes, who is now based in Jakarta overseeing the AirAsia Asean regional expansion, had tweeted: “Fantastic news that India has opened up investments to foreign airlines. With India opening up, this is fantastic news for airlines like AirAsia. Great that (the) Indian government has put people first.”

Bernama also reported that Budget airline AirAsia is seeking to discuss potential areas of collaboration with stakeholders of the new Malindo Airways.

Fernandes said in this regard, he would be meeting with Lion Air's parent company, PT Lion Grup's (rpt Grup) president director Rusdi Kirana soon.

“We can collaborate with Malindo Airways. I am not here to make enemies. I will meet Rusdi over dinner soon.

“There are many thing that we can collaborate on. Personally, I respect Rusdi who has done a fantastic job in Indonesia,” Fernandes told reporters after launching AirAsia's Badminton Academy, here yesterday.

However, he said the competition between AirAsia and Malindo Airways, was still on.

“AirAsia has a very strong foothold in the regional aviation industry to face the competition. - Bernama

Source : http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/9/27/business/12086160&sec=business

AirAsia, Malindo bekerjasama?

ko_01.1.jpg

Pesawat Airbus, A320-200 milik AirAsia menuju ke landasan untuk berlepas di Terminal Penerbangan Tambang Murah di Sepang. - REUTERS

KUALA LUMPUR 26 Sept. - Syarikat penerbangan tambang murah, AirAsia sedang berusaha membincangkan bidang yang berpotensi dilakukan kerjasama dengan pihak berkepentingan Malindo Airways yang baharu ditubuhkan.

Ketua Pegawai Eksekutif Kumpulan AirAsia, Tan Sri Tony Fernandes berkata, dalam hubungan ini, beliau akan menemui Presiden Pengarah PT Lion Grup, Rusdi Kirana tidak lama lagi. PT Lion Grup adalah syarikat induk Lion Air.

"Kami boleh bekerjasama dengan Malindo Airways. Saya bukan berada di sini untuk mencari musuh. Saya akan menghadiri makan malam dengan Rusdi tidak lama lagi.

"Banyak perkara yang kami boleh jalin kerjasama. Secara peribadi, saya menghormati Rusdi yang telah melaksanakan tugas yang cemerlang di Indonesia," kata Fernandes kepada pemberita selepas pelancaran Akademi Badminton AirAsia di sini hari ini.

Bagaimanapun, katanya, persaingan antara AirAsia dan Malindo Airways masih berterusan.

"AirAsia mempunyai kehadiran yang kukuh di dalam industri serantau bagi menghadapi persaingan.

"Tanpa diragui, kami akan bersaing antara satu sama lain. Saya tahu apa yang perlu dilakukan untuk mendahului," katanya.

National Aerospace and Defence Industries Sdn. Bhd. (Nadi) dan PT Lion Grup akan membentuk syarikat penerbangan tambang murah Malindo Airways, yang diambang memulakan operasi pada Mei 2013 menggunakan KLIA2 di Sepang.

Ia merancang menawarkan penerbangan di Malaysia dan Indonesia serta ke Thailand, China, India, Jepun dan Australia.

Nadi memiliki kepentingan 51 peratus di dalam Malindo Airways dan bakinya dipegang oleh Lion Grup.

Sementara itu, Fernandes berkata, AirAsia tidak teragak-agak untuk beroperasi di India jika persekitaran penerbangan dan struktur cukainya mesra dan kondusif bagi operasi syarikat penerbangan tambang murah.

Kata beliau, walaupun kerajaan India membenarkan pelaburan langsung asing sebanyak 49 peratus dalam sektor penerbangan negara itu, kos mengurus operasi penerbangan di sana masih tinggi berbanding kebanyakan negara maju.

"Inilah kehebatan AirAsia. Semua mahukan kami, namun infrastruktur dan persekitaran yang sesuai mesti disediakan untuk kami pergi ke sana (India).

"Cukai lapangan terbang masih terlalu tinggi, malah saya dengar mereka mahu menaikkan cukai, yang memaksa syarikat penerbangan menghentikan operasi ke destinasi tertentu.

"Jika semuanya berjalan lancar, rugilah kami jika tidak memasuki pasaran India, yang mempunyai lebih daripada satu bilion penduduk," katanya.

Fernandes berkata, beliau akan melawat India lewat bulan ini, namun bukan untuk perbincangan usaha sama seperti dilaporkan, tetapi untuk menerima anugerah antarabangsa India atas pencapaian cemerlang beliau dalam industri penerbangan dunia.

Beliau berkata, bidang utama yang sentiasa diberikan perhatian oleh AirAsia sebelum meneroka pasaran baharu ialah menurunkan kos.

"Atas alasan itulah syarikat sekutu AirAsia bagi penerbangan jarak sederhana dan jauh, AirAsia X, menarik diri dari terbang ke New Delhi dan Mumbai," katanya. - BERNAMA

Source : http://utusan.com.my/utusan/Korporat/20120927/ko_01/AirAsia-Malindo-bekerjasama

AirAsia wants to collaborate with Malindo Airlines? I hope that Pak Rusdi open his eyes BIG ... read news reports and expert opinions on what happened in the Comprehensive Collaboration Framework (CCF) between AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines (including the curtailment of jet services by Firefly) ... and then decide if he needs Tony Fernandes as a partner.

KC Sim

Kirana air? Sounds quite nice, but NADI people maybe wont like it much.

Malindo Airways will offer 100 jobs to unemployed pilots in Malaysia to cater for its operations in May next year. The first intake of 20 students is expected to begin next month.
Berita Harian.

Haven't start their operations, already been given task to solve national issues.. :pardon:

Haha... reminds me of horse's penis... in Hakka :)

I think to be precise - many horses' penises :p

Edited by BC Tam

AirAsia wants to collaborate with Malindo Airlines? I hope that Pak Rusdi open his eyes BIG ... read news reports and expert opinions on what happened in the Comprehensive Collaboration Framework (CCF) between AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines (including the curtailment of jet services by Firefly) ... and then decide if he needs Tony Fernandes as a partner.

KC Sim

Agreed, not only Pak Rusdi should open his eyes BIG but Malaysian's stake holder NADI as well. I'm not sure why TF want to collaborate with Malindo now, why not before Lion JV with NADI. So we can smell something here. :D

If he cannot stop NADI and Lion from establishing Malindo Airlines, he certainly will try to poison it from within under the pretext of a collaboration. Look how this worked when it collaborated with MAS ... gained rights to Sydney and chopped off Firefly's jet services.

Although Pak Rusdi is a very quiet and unassuming man, I hope that deep inside, he is a very shrewd businessman who can smell a rat from a million miles.

KC Sim