MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Josh T

Qantas and Emirates global partnership now official

Just announced today:

http://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/travel-ideas/news-opinions/news/a/-/14769734/its-official-qantas-and-emirates-announce-global-partnership/

It's a very similar arrangement to what Virgin Australia and Etihad have done. These 2 arrangements (VA+EY and QF+EK) are a very serious threat to SEA carriers on the Kangaroo route.

I wonder if this is the first step towards EK joining OneWorld...

now the partnership has been announced...we might see aircraft upgrade for the DXB-KUL-MEL route from 77W to A380...fingers cross

QANTAS – Emirates Outlines Strategic Partnership due April 2013

by JL

Update at 0040GMT 06SEP12

QANTAS and Emirates on 06SEP12 announced a landmark 10-year strategic partnership agreement, which takes in effect from April 2013. Subject to regulatory approval (including interim authorisation to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)), planned partnership to cover the following:

*QANTAS terminates 17-year long joint-venture agreement with British Airways from March 2013

*QANTAS terminating Singapore as stopover point for European service

*QANTAS terminating service to Frankfurt

*Existing QANTAS service to London Heathrow (1 daily each from Sydney and Melbourne), will operate via Dubai, replacing Singapore stop. Therefore nicknamed “The Kangaroo Route” will be re-named to “The Falcon Route”

*QANTAS service to Hong Kong and Singapore will be re-timed, which will open up additional same-day connection option to rest of Asia

*QANTAS service to Dubai will operate at Terminal 3, becoming the only foreign carrier with access to Dubai T3

*Combined Emirates and QANTAS flights on Dubai – London Heathrow will be 7 daily, all using Airbus A380. On Australia – Dubai sector, combined service sees 98 weekly flights (14 daily)

*Alignment of Emirates and Qantas frequent flyer programs, giving customers expanded opportunities to earn and redeem points

*Emirates and QANTAS’ Trans-Tasman routes will be coordinated to provide greater flexibility of flight options

*QANTAS existing European codeshare service with AIRFRANCE and Cathay Pacific remains unaffected

Edited by kandiah k

Who knows.. If they feel threatened by increasing competition, they may one day just join an alliance.

Anyway, the impression Qantas gives me is that they are trying to sleep with as many bed partners as possible to gain something.

MH (like Proton), will find it hard to concede anything to potential partners. That is because they always want the majority share of anything and won't settle unless they are in control.

Tweet from TF:

"Its very smart. I had tried to do that for mas. But all got messed up. RT @Twiger: @tonyfernandes What do you think of the Emirates-Qantas tie up?"

http://m.tmi.me/wxGdu

LOL!

EK deployed 388 on DXB-SYD & will deploy it on DXB-MEL. DXB-BNE is on 77W.

EK deployed 388 on DXB-SYD & will deploy it on DXB-MEL. DXB-BNE is on 77W.

Trouble is I HATE DUBAI !

It's airport is up there as one of the worst , a mindless shopping mall that is claustrophobic and smelly.

The emirates lounges @J at least is like a pasar malam and overcrowded at the best of times.

And not to mention the rude and unhelpful staff at both lounges & general airport area.

The new terminal may solve things temporarily but it wouldnt be for long.

In a way thank goodness for this as I suspect SQ,MH and all who ply australia - Europe via Asia will benefit from better quality traffic.

CX,MH and SQ OUGHT to consider an all J to Europe from Syd and Mel.

QANTAS – Emirates Outlines Strategic Partnership due April 2013

by JL

Update at 0040GMT 06SEP12

QANTAS and Emirates on 06SEP12 announced a landmark 10-year strategic partnership agreement, which takes in effect from April 2013. Subject to regulatory approval (including interim authorisation to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)), planned partnership to cover the following:

*QANTAS service to Hong Kong and Singapore will be re-timed, which will open up additional same-day connection option to rest of Asia

All is not lost for MH if they can be a bit more accommodating.

While Qantas will coordinate with Emirates on Emirates' four services between Australia and Asia, these will not further Qantas' reach into more Asian cities aside from Kuala Lumpur....

Does this mean QF is still interested to serve KUL?

Mr Walsh was looking strategically and was active in what possibilities existed in Kuala Lumpur, the hub for forthcoming oneworld member Malaysia Airlines (MAS). But as MAS confronted its turnaround project, it became insular, and Mr Walsh turned his attention to a bigger prize bringing Qatar Airways into the oneworld alliance.....

What a shame!

I had no idea its possible to do a nonstop for DXB-SYD or MEL.

It's done every (to MEL) on EK as EK406/407 and not even by a LR - it's done by a 77W and will move to A380 soon. I've flown the westbound on EK407 and it was a LONG LONG flight....

I think QF had no choice but to pursue a partnership with EK after talks with MH failed.

MH's attitude is prevalent amongst many Malaysian GLCs. They always want "control" of any partnership. I guess that they misunderstand that partnerships are meant to generate synergy - i.e. 1+1 = more than 2. As such all partners will benefit. But MH thinks that it must benefit more than its partners. Otherwise, MH will "lose out".

I think that this deal will definitely pose a threat to MH/KUL and reinforce the DXB hub. Whatever hopes KUL had of benefitting from a QF/MH/Oneworld partnership is now more or less gone. QF will focus on making its partnership with EK work and turn the airline's international operations around.

I'm just afraid of MH would be going down and even harder to get out of their financial crisis. With business becoming so tough, and now QF is collaborating with EK, SQ got its own partnership and CX, too, MH will remain silo player in the region and will not be able to compete with others. Epic fail!

I, for one, will never fly through DXB to get to Europe.

A lot of people are doing this,especially Australians. I am actually thinking to do this, flying HKG-DXB-LHR. Mind sharing why you never wanted to fly through DXB?

problem with MH is they don't hv the right size of aircraft with comparable amenities to regularly fly to key European cities . The 300 sweater T7s r too big n dated , A380 is huge & A330s don't hv the range.

Cost is a major concern n to fly just 3 times / wk is not good enough . ... They need at least one daily services ... With 2 flights a day wud b the minum to attract the front end business travelers. Plus .... Stop acting like a typical Malaysian GLC !

They need to act fast to ensure their survival n b relevent to 1world. ..... Before being booted out as the unwanted.

Sign in to follow this