MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Singapore Airlines To Fly To Yangon

05 September 2012 - Singapore Airlines will launch daily services to Yangon on 28 October 2012 to cater to rapidly growing demand for travel to Myanmar. Together with regional subsidiary SilkAir, the SIA Group will serve Yangon with 16 weekly flights.

SilkAir currently operates 16 weekly flights to Yangon with single-aisle Airbus A320-family aircraft. SIA will take over seven of those flights with larger 323-seat Boeing 777-200 widebody aircraft, increasing weekly seat capacity by 55%.

“Demand has been growing strongly for both business and leisure travel to Myanmar, and Singapore Airlines looks forward to serving the country for the first time,” said SIA Executive Vice President Commercial, Mr Mak Swee Wah, who is also Chairman of SilkAir.

“SIA and SilkAir are constantly looking at new market opportunities and the launch of SIA services enables us to quickly meet the growing demand for travel to this increasingly popular destination.”

Yangon is the largest city in Myanmar and it once served as the country’s capital. Today it serves as Myanmar’s economic centre, in addition to being a popular tourist destination.

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/press_release_news/ne120905.jsp

This is actually a surprise! A pleasant one nonetheless. With MI taking over quite a few routes from SQ in the past couple of years, i bet no one really see SQ will resume flight to RGN. When was the last time SQ flew to RGN ? Around 2003 when they retired the last 313 ?

As far as I know Yangon has always been a Silkair destination. What a surprise move by SIA.

I was under the impression that it was once served by SIA. Lol. Anyway, very surprising indeed. In a good way :p

SQ never flew to RGN with their own aircraft. Plus it's hardly a surprise since everyone is trying to grab a share of Myanmar market. TG added 3rd daily and will add 4th to RGN in Feb 2013.

Sign in to follow this