MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
reezal

Ethiopian Airlines Coming to KLIA (with possibly the 787 Dreamliner)

Found this article just now, hope the flight will materialize. Would be cool to see another African carrier here in KLIA after the demise of Air Zimbabwe.

Ethiopian Airlines to Fly to Kuala Lumpur

Tuesday, 24 July 2012 10:07

Ethiopian Airlines will begin flight to Kuala Lampur, capital city of Malaysia as of November of this year. The flights will serve to connect the Malaysian business sector to Africa as well as servicing the small Ethiopian expat community in Malaysia, which mainly consists of students according to Tewolde Gebremariam, Chief Executive Officer of the airlines.

It is also expected that the flights will support Malaysian companies engaged in Ethiopia, such as Petronas undertaking oil and gas exploration projects in the country he added.

In addition the new flight will enhance networking opportunities with countries in South Eastern Asia such as Singapore and the Philippines.

It is to be remembered that the Airline will commence flights three times a week to Sao Paulo beginning in December, using the Dreamliner aircraft that Ethiopian anticipates receiving in August and September from manufacturer Boeing.

The Sao Paulo flight will be operated through Lome, Togo where the Ethiopian affiliate ASKY airline is based according to Tewolde.

It is expected that Lome will serve as the West African hub for Ethiopian airlines and ASKY will serve as a feeder to Ethiopian on the Sao Paulo flights he noted.

Ethiopian Airlines in planning a more significant emphasis on flight to Brazil, India and China as part of its growth drive under the vision 2025 strategy adopted by the airline explained Tewolde.

The Airline also anticipates widening its reach in Africa with hubs in various parts of Africa, including Lome in West Africa, Zambia or Tanzania in the Southern part of the continent and a central hub in one of the Congo’s to serve as a complement to the main base in Addis Ababa added the CEO.

SOURCE: http://www.2merkato....to-kuala-lampur

The BKK flight for ET has a tag on to HKG at the moment, but only 4x weekly and going back to 5x weekly soon. Maybe they go daily and the other 2 days it'll go to KUL (like RJ - some days the AMM-BKK tag on goes to HKG, some days it goes to KUL)

welcome to KUL,ET!

Ethiopian Airlines to Start Malaysia Service from late-Oct 2012

by JL

Update at 1850GMT 16AUG12

Ethiopian Airlines starting 31OCT12 is launching service to Malaysia, where it’ll offer 3 weekly Addis Ababa – Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur service with Boeing 767. Existing Addis Ababa – Bangkok – Hong Kong service will be reduced from 5 to 4 weekly, and overall Bangkok service sees daily operation once again.

Schedule:

Addis Ababa – Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur

ET618 ADD0025 – 1320BKK1430 – 1900KUL 763 357

ET619 KUL2150 – 0125+1BKK0240+1 – 0750+1ADD 763 357

Addis Ababa – Bangkok – Hong Kong

ET608 ADD0040 – 1335BKK1435 – 1845HKG 763 x357

ET609 HKG2150 – 0100+1BKK0210+1 – 0725+1ADD 763 x357

ET has local traffic rights on intra-Asia sectors

http://airlineroute..../16/et-kul-w12/

Edited by Yang Zulhilmi

Ethiopian seems to start flights to KUL via BKK effective W12...with full traffic rights, so another airline to try, guys...

Erm... Still not right.

Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur

ET618 BKK1430 – 1900KUL 763 357 (3 hours 30 minutes)

ET619 KUL2150 – 0125+1BKK 763 357 (4 hours 35 minutes)

Really hoping for ET to upgrade KUL to B787 Dreamliner soon.

2138237.jpg

Who will be the first B787 Dreamliner operator to KUL? Air India, Qatar Airways, Royal Brunei or Ethiopian Airlines?

Erm... Still not right.

Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur

ET618 BKK1430 – 1900KUL 763 357 (3 hours 30 minutes)

ET619 KUL2150 – 0125+1BKK 763 357 (4 hours 35 minutes)

Maybe that's their block time. I've flown with them several times and ET has extremely early boarding time! I recall it was like 1h 30m for a 767! Everyone was on board 30 minutes before and pushed back 25 minutes prior to STD! The 767 is pretty dated The 77L looks much better.

Fantastic news. Another *A carrier at KUL and more importantly, another delicious tag-on to try out!

Only downside is, the KUL-BKK sectors are just nonsense.

Fantastic news. Another *A carrier at KUL and more importantly, another delicious tag-on to try out!

Only downside is, the KUL-BKK sectors are just nonsense.

What better way to have it than to fly to the land of a thousand smiles. I am already smiling before I even start considering the options. :D

I don't think BI will be operating KUL with B787, maybe equipment change and during peak season. KUL is A319 and A320 routes.

Hopefully they'll bring it to BKI for a spin or 2, a few touch-and-go, you know. :p

PETALING JAYA: At least two more airlines Ethiopian Airlines and Zest Air are expected to fly into Malaysia this year after four made their debut earlier this year.

The four are Bangkok Airways, Philippines' Airphil Express, Indonesia's Mandala Airlines and AirAsia Philippines, and with the latter three flew into the LCCT terminal while Bangkok Airways to KL International Airport.

It is learnt that both the carriers Ethiopian Airlines and Zest Air are planning to commence flights sometime in October.

Ethiopian is planning thrice-weekly flights to KL International Airport on Oct 31 via Bangkok while Zest is looking at flying in from Manila on Oct 22.

A report quoting Ethiopian Airlines chief executive officer Tewolde Gebremariam said that “as the fastest growing airline in Africa, Ethiopian is pleased to offer the opportunity to business people as well as tourists to explore KL. Ethiopian will be the first East African carrier to fly to KL, connecting Africa to the Asia region and in turn strengthening the tourism and trade ties between the peoples of Africa and Asia.

“The connectivity will be via its hub at Addis Ababa, which provides connections to and from major African cities such as Johannesburg, Nairobi, Lagos, Accra, Dar Es Salaam, Entebbe, Harare and Khartoum,” the report said.

KL will be Ethiopian 70th international destination and 18th in the Middle East and Asia.

Zest Air on the other hand is the low-cost carrier from the Philippines and it has yet to decide whether it will fly into KLIA or LCCT. It will also be the second low-cost carrier after Airphill Express from the Philippines to fly into KLIA this year, although Cebu Pacific has been plying the KL-Manila route for sometime now.

Mandala Airlines is from Jakarta and began plying the Jakarta-KL route May this year. Airphil flies twice weekly to the LCCT.

There are around 60 airlines currently operating in Malaysia and the airport operator's, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), target is to attract at least five new airlines to operate out of KLIA every year.

MAHB's passenger traffic grew 4.2%, with 32.5 million passing through its 39 airports nationwide, while both international and domestic passenger movement registered a moderate growth of 5% and 3.5% respectively. It expects a year-end passenger growth target of 6% to 7% and it is “cautiously optimistic” of meeting the target set.

http://biz.thestar.c...93&sec=business

Edited by alberttky

“MAS will also bring the traffic from these countries to be supplied into our Africa network,” he said after the welcoming ceremony for Ethiopian Airlines' inaugural flight to Kuala Lumpur. Gracing the event was Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha.

So what I fleetingly saw in the TV3's Buletin 1:30 is Ethopian in KUL.... So they are really here. Was it before or during the rain?

I've flown on their 767 in C before - expect really old school business seats. Recline works "too well" - so much so that you are actually touching the knees of the person sitting behind you. Great food (especially out of ADD when they serve injera) and service is good. They serve more food on a 2.5 hours flight in C (out of ADD only) more than any other airlines I've been on and that says a lot. Their Y class looks decent - comes with PTV as well IIRC.

Imagine having lay-overs in Addis Ababa? Must be freaking awesome!

Been to ADD - not the most interesting city I've been to in Africa. It's very concrete and attractions are few and far apart. It's relatively safe (at least the part that I was staying in) but you'll see police and army patrolling the city with guns similar to AK-47 (I am not familiar with guns at all). Photos of buildings and people are a big no no (I was yelled at for taking pictures of goats crossing the street) and this is especially true for government buildings and residences.

Having that said, I've been told that Ethiopia is an awesome tourist destination with the exception of Addis. People are gorgeous and very friendly. Food is great - probably one of the most delicious African cuisine I have tried so far (love the injeras!).

Ethiopian Airlines is increasing frequency in KUL. What a good news! :clapping:

till 17JUN13

1 daily Addis Ababa – Bangkok – Hong Kong
3 weekly Addis Ababa – Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur

eff 18JUN13

Addis Ababa – Bangkok 3 weekly 767-300ER

ET626 ADD0040 – 1320BKK 763 246
ET627 BKK0140 – 0620ADD 763 357

Addis Ababa – Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur Service increases from 3 to 4 weekly

ET618 ADD0040 – 1320BKK1430 – 1800KUL 763 x246
ET619 KUL2325 – 0025+1BKK0140+1 – 0610+1ADD 763 x246

Addis Ababa – Hong Kong – Manila 3 weekly 767-300ER

ET628 ADD0005 – 1500HKG1600 – 1800MNL 763 246
ET629 MNL2200 – 2355HKG0055+1 – 0655+1ADD 763 246

ET does not have local traffic rights on Hong Kong – Manila sector.

Addis Ababa – Hong Kong – Seoul Incheon 4 weekly 767-300ER

ET608 ADD2315 – 1415+1HKG1515+1 – 1930+1ICN 763 x135
ET609 ICN2050 – 2335HKG0035+1 – 0635+1ADD 763 x246

ET does not have local traffic rights on Hong Kong – Seoul Incheon sector.

Source: http://airlineroute.net/2013/02/12/et-asia-jun13update2/

Edited by Muhamad Rahimi