MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

MAS' Fares from Yesteryears

These scanned from MAS's timetable for period 29 Mar - 24 Oct 1992 :)

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03-1.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04.jpg

Sorry, the latter two pages came out smaller than intended - have to strain the eyes a little bit :)

Edited by BC Tam

Thank you so much, BC Tam. And this is a much proper place to discuss this :p

A return YN fare ticket in 1992 between KUL/BKI was RM532, RM542 for YEE14, RM590 for YEE30 and RM760 for a standard Y ticket on all non-stop flights.

Anyway, i noticed the minimum stay for a YEE30 ticket was 5 days in 1992. In 1998, the minimum stay for a YEE30 ticket was only 3 days and remained so until MAS adopted a new pricing strategy for all of their flights in 2007. That was the reason why me and my mom always flew on MH81 to KUL from BKI on Thursday evening and back to BKI on MH80 on Sunday night between 2002-2007 :D

And so good that you still have your printed timetables with you after almost 20 years. They are such rare commodities nowadays :)

Edited by Isaac

Thanks BC, I suspect it wasn't as cheap as MYR160 between BKI-KUL even for special promotion fare! Cause that was more like the return fare between BKI-TWU!

In the 80's it was slightly more expensive if memory serves me correct! These 1992 fare are good enough for comparison. Thanks again!

Very nostalgic! Gone are those days.... I see that KUL-KCH has S fare too. It must be quite something to fly on a Fokker across the South China Sea!

Thanks for sharing :)

Dad said it was around RM160 for a one-way YN ticket in the early 90s, but the published YN one-way ticket in 1992 was RM266. So he was off by about RM106. Anyway, is there a possibility it was cheaper than RM266 one-way prior to 1992 ? The standard return air fare for daytime flight in the 90s certainly was no RM1,200, far from that in fact! Dad was right all along that the daytime flights were priced in the region of RM500-RM600. I wasn't sure if it was a standard daytime flight fare or an excursion fare then, but we can say for sure that it was the YEExx fare, and it wasn't capacity controlled.

Looking at the domestic air fares table, the YN fare wasn't a lot cheaper compared a YEExx ticket. No wonder dad always came back to KK in the evening around the time I started to remember stuff... around 92-93 I think. My aunt always came back past midnight though. Which suggests that she always took the midnight flight... well, she was just a student then.

Very nostalgic! Gone are those days.... I see that KUL-KCH has S fare too. It must be quite something to fly on a Fokker across the South China Sea!

I've forgotten what an S fare was until you mentioned it. A very sharp memory you've got there :D

san fuel surcharge those fares may have been, but they were also in 1990's Ringgit

If adjusted for inflation over the 20 years since and comparative strength of the RM vs USD (big portion of costs denominated in greenback) - likely it would have been prohibitively expensive for Malaysians to fly nowadays

But we also have the red one and open market competition (well, sort of anyway) to mitigate

So, wonder no more why there was such alarm at the MH-AK 'collaboration' :D

I've forgotten what an S fare was until you mentioned it. A very sharp memory you've got there :D

Haha, thanks... I always find it fascinating that S fare is a bit cheaper than Y. You pay less but got to stay in the air longer, sounds good to me :)

Haha, thanks... I always find it fascinating that S fare is a bit cheaper than Y. You pay less but got to stay in the air longer, sounds good to me :)

It's so tight in the Fokker that's not comfortable at all!

Sign in to follow this