MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JuliusWong

Malaysia Airlines ponder longer range A330, to replace B777

By: MAX KINGSLEY-JONES, London

Malaysia Airlines is evaluating whether to standardise on the Airbus A330 for its widebody operations, and could order a longer-range version if Airbus decides to develop one.

"We want to rationalise the fleet - I hate running an airline with too many aircraft types," says Malaysia Airlines group chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.

Speaking in London at an event to mark the introduction of the carrier's A380 on Kuala Lumpur-Heathrow services, Yahya said that this will see the airline focus on ATR turboprops and Boeing 737-800s for its regional and narrowbody operations, but the plan for the widebodies was still being evaluated.

"We are looking at the widebodies. We have 15 A330s on order, but the question right now is how will we replace our Boeing 777-200ERs, which are pretty long in the tooth," says Yahya.

By the time the A330LR is in service it'll be long in the tooth as well. Perhaps this is a shot to Boeing to ask them to start proposing a 777 replacement as soon as possible.

But it's good to know the management's looking into upgrading its entire fleet

Yes, they should be looking at the B787/A350 and perhaps the B777X to replace both the B772s and A333s. These next gen aircraft are better bets than another variant of the A330.

MH is not a LCC, matching capacity to demand to maximize yield is more important than minimizing number of aircraft type. If minimizing aircraft type is a priority, MH should have ordered A320 instead of 738, so that pilots are common rated with A33E.

MH didn’t offer daily service to FRA, FCO, ZRH, DXB, EWR, etc as couldn’t fill 772, hence, MH failed to attract premium pax and suffered poor yield as the result. If MH is serious in attracting high yield pax, it needs to offer daily service by using smaller aircraft like A332 or 787.

"Longer-range A330" = A350.

MH is not a LCC, matching capacity to demand to maximize yield is more important than minimizing number of aircraft type. If minimizing aircraft type is a priority, MH should have ordered A320 instead of 738, so that pilots are common rated with A33E.

MH didn’t offer daily service to FRA, FCO, ZRH, DXB, EWR, etc as couldn’t fill 772, hence, MH failed to attract premium pax and suffered poor yield as the result. If MH is serious in attracting high yield pax, it needs to offer daily service by using smaller aircraft like A332 or 787.

Agree. I think 77W is too big for MH to bring to Europe. They should look into 787-8/9 if they worry about type rating. As it shares some common features with 777.

If MH ordered the A320 they'll probably receive their first aircraft next century judging from the queue!

It's good to know that MH are seriously starting to think about replacing the B772s. I agree that they should be looking at the B787 or the A350. Again, their joining of OneWorld provides a wonderful opportunity to offer Australian and New Zealand passengers a one stop flight to various European cities. CDG and AMS are already daily. FRA should be daily too although QF does fly to FRA as well. Maybe MH could go daily and QF can code-share?

It's good to know that MH are seriously starting to think about replacing the B772s. I agree that they should be looking at the B787 or the A350. Again, their joining of OneWorld provides a wonderful opportunity to offer Australian and New Zealand passengers a one stop flight to various European cities. CDG and AMS are already daily. FRA should be daily too although QF does fly to FRA as well. Maybe MH could go daily and QF can code-share?

FRA already terminated no?

Since MH are talking with Airbus, looks like MH will more likely to order Airbus, as a replacement. MH also will display an A380 at Farnborough. I can only see Airbus winning the order from MH.

Maybe AJ was dreaming of an A330-300 with GEnX engines and sharklets on the wings... ;)

Maybe AJ was dreaming of an A330-300 with GEnX engines and sharklets on the wings... ;)

Maybe if he's buying 150 aircraft, Airbus may consider...

I doubt Airbus would develop a variant that is due to be replaced in 3 years by the A350. Unless they're anticipating a huge delay in the A350 program.

The demand for a longer range A330-300 is too small.. most airlines that want it have already bought the A350s or the 787s.

Perhaps he is hoping for A330-200IGW.

Sometimes I find AJ speech is too 'layman', not articulate enough to portray himself as a competent CEO of a mega-company. Hate running too many aircraft type?? Hmmm.....you should have rescind and stop B737-800 delivery, order 50 A320, more A330, initiate A350 order and accelerate A380 delivery. This along with ATR 72 which is also partly owned by EADS. I bet Airbus salesman can work out a good discount package for MH.

By end of the decade you will have: A320-200, A330-323X, A350-900, A350-1000XWB and A380 in MH fleet. God have mercy if they do make profit every year, if not alternate years.....

If MH ordered the A320 they'll probably receive their first aircraft next century judging from the queue!

With the opening of Airbus Alabama plant at US, MH maybe able to jump the queue. AirAsia managed to do so as AK basically is Airbus' biggest customer to date.

Aircraft like the B787 or the A350 would be significantly more economical for flights to Europe. They really need to mae a decision soon but I'd be very surprised if we hear an announcement at Farnborough.

It was only in the news on 21 June when AJ said that the A380 is too big for Sydney and MH would relook at Sydney later. Then 10 days later they announce A380 for Sydney, Narita & Beijing. Sometimes i wonder if he knows what he is answering to interview questions.

Is he really sure what type of aircraft MH needs for its business model ?

i think A380 deployment on SYD route is a must so that MH compete with other regional airlines particularly SQ and QF on the kangaroo routes. for PEK & NRT, well, since China has been emerging world leading economy while NRT plays an important role in serving and connecting One World destinations and connecting to USA routes, that should give some reasons. HKG may not get the A380 but the frequencies of this route has been doubled.

I am not sure if MH needs to replace all its B772s immediately since some of them are only about 8 years old. Furthermore, I am not sure if MH needs to replace all of them, since A333s have already replaced B772s on its Asian routes.

MH really only need aircraft with sufficient range for its European routes like AMS and CDG. For these, the A332 has enough range but payload suffers a little.

MH should probably look at a two stage replacement strategy (like SQ). Order the B787/A350 (long delivery lead times) but lease more A332/A333's. By the time the new B787/A350's arrive, the current fleet of B772/A333s will be ready to be retired, if they are no longer needed.

Don't think it will happen as D7's A350 will be in LCC configuration. Besides, I believe D7's deliveries will commence around 2016-2017. By then, D7 will either be bankrupt or a runaway success. Don't expect things to stand still!

Besides, I believe D7's deliveries will commence around 2016-2017. By then, D7 will either be bankrupt or a runaway success. Don't expect things to stand still!

Haha...if that is the case MH could consider buy the slot from D7 instead of lease it from them

Anyway, if MH is really serious about being a premium carrier, ordering B77Ws in a three class configuration (first, business and premium economy) may be something they should do.

The B77W will allow MH to restore 34" seat pitch and have an all premium economy class cabin!

Anyway, if MH is really serious about being a premium carrier, ordering B77Ws in a three class configuration (first, business and premium economy) may be something they should do.

The B77W will allow MH to restore 34" seat pitch and have an all premium economy class cabin!

It works only if MH doesn't have the A380. Otherwise, it's just too big for the need.

With 34" seat pitch, B77W should only have 300+ seats.

It can carry more belly cargo too. So the yields will defintiely be there if MH knows how to market the product properly.

It could also be a beta test for MH to determine if it can reconfigure the A380s (in future) in a similar low density setup.

Edited by flee

MH has been ponderig on this issue for a very long time, I hope they make a decision soon. There are only a few types of aircrafts to choose from, can't be that hard.

Sign in to follow this