MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CH Teo

Proposed MASwings Acquisition by Sabah and Sarawak Governments

Then it will be somewhat difficult to sustain year round no ? :)

Yea, that's why there are not many flights..

When I was little, I've been to Sibu quite a couple of times to visit relatives. I think they will be hard pressed to build tourism industry there.

They are daydreaming IMHO.....

and after this, widebodies direct from London, Paris, Tokyo, Sydney, Perth etc.

we've seen the failures of PER KCH route, KCH KUL FRA route. so why they need to spend more money to establish an airline there?

perhaps an A380 in MASwings color will look nice :)

When I was little, I've been to Sibu quite a couple of times to visit relatives. I think they will be hard pressed to build tourism industry there.

The murky waters like the color of teh halia is quite an attraction!

The murky waters like the color of teh halia is quite an attraction!

The immense wealth of that region could not have been realized without the flow of teh halia :D

Edited by BC Tam

I was looking forward to enjoy the beach in Mukah when I first visited some years ago. What greeted me was brownish water and countless broken logs and other rubbish obviously due to logging activities. What a letdown. After visiting all of the major towns and cities in Sarawak, I have come to conclude there is not much to see or do in Sarawak. I returned only to visit friends and get some Bario and other exotic looking rice.

I was looking forward to enjoy the beach in Mukah when I first visited some years ago. What greeted me was brownish water and countless broken logs and other rubbish obviously due to logging activities. What a letdown. After visiting all of the major towns and cities in Sarawak, I have come to conclude there is not much to see or do in Sarawak. I returned only to visit friends and get some Bario and other exotic looking rice.

Not sure if there's any nice beaches in Mukah but I would say Sematan is a better one. You would have to travel by speedboat to get the clean blue water for snorkelling.

Mukah is famous with its prawn / fish crackers! :D

Edited by Mike P

Not sure if there's any nice beaches in Mukah but I would say Sematan is a better one. You would have to travel by speedboat to get the clean blue water for snorkelling.

Mukah is famous with its prawn / fish crackers! :D

Mukah beach has always been brown as long as I can remember, but it's dirtier now with rubbish and many many debris. The seafood is still pretty fresh though.

If you are tourist, the place I recommend in Sarawak will be Miri and Mulu. You can also drive to Brunei as a short excursion.

The seafood is still pretty fresh though.

Would that be of 'river' or 'sea' origin in Sibu ?

Must confess one of my my previous encounter with Sarawakian 'seafood' (in Kuching admittedly) was rather .... well, non-impressive :)

I'm quite sure my experience must have been exception rather than the rule though

If you are tourist, the place I recommend in Sarawak will be Miri and Mulu

Miri being the springboard to Mulu I assume ?

Last I was there, Miri was like ...... good for a one night stand ?! :D

Would that be of 'river' or 'sea' origin in Sibu ?

Must confess one of my my previous encounter with Sarawakian 'seafood' (in Kuching admittedly) was rather .... well, non-impressive :)

I'm quite sure my experience must have been exception rather than the rule though

Sea... Plenty of local fishermen go out to the sea. Apparently it's their Melanau lifestyle. Their town "mascot" is actually a fish. Their fresh catch is made into umai or Mukah sashimi.

Having said that, if you are looking for those high end seafood cooking, you won't find it there. It's just some simple local seafood fare.

Miri being the springboard to Mulu I assume ?

Last I was there, Miri was like ...... good for a one night stand ?! :D

Yea as a gateway to Mulu, plus Niah cave, some recently discovered diving sites and even Brunei. In the town itself, nothing much to do la, there is kraft market, pasar tamu but if you are from Sabah, then it's pretty much the same.

..... Their fresh catch is made into umai or Mukah sashimi.

Having said that, if you are looking for those high end seafood cooking, you won't find it there. It's just some simple local seafood fare.

Sounds good, wife has recently been pestering about a visit to Sibu anyway :)

Sounds good, wife has recently been pestering about a visit to Sibu anyway :)

Sibu is very different from Mukah though.. It's the Foochow capital of Sarawak in contrast to Melanau.

BTW, another Melanau's favourite is eating sago products and sago worms. You can easily find them in the market.

BTW, another Melanau's favourite is eating ..... sago worms

Priority now is perhaps the sashimi alluded to, you know, one step at a time ...... :D

Yea as a gateway to Mulu, plus Niah cave, some recently discovered diving sites and even Brunei. In the town itself, nothing much to do la, there is kraft market, pasar tamu but if you are from Sabah, then it's pretty much the same.

The last time I went to Mulu was directly from BKI using the Twin Otter. My one and only experience on the Twotter until now.

The Sabah and Sarawak state governments have renewed interest in buying Malaysia Airlines’ regional arm, MASwings, from the Khazanah sovereign wealth fund.

Sarawak Tourism Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg said the Malaysian government had “no objections” to the state governments putting in a bid for the carrier.

Malaysia Airlines CEO Christoph Mueller has said the airline will concentrate on regional routes, and trim operations where needs to cut costs.

If they buy MASwings from MAS, they should also buy the surplus B738s from them - I cannot imagine flying KCH-HKG in an ATR or Twotter... ;)

If they buy MASwings from MAS, they should also buy the surplus B738s from them - I cannot imagine flying KCH-HKG in an ATR or Twotter... ;)

With a combination of ERJ or CRJ variance, Maswings could offer frequency without worrying too much about poor load and yield.

I cannot imagine flying KCH-HKG in an ATR or Twotter... ;)

It'll be fun doing multi-city hops to your destination in a Twotter :lol:

but why do they need to buy when they can start their own ? Each state already has its own private operators ie: Sabah Air & Hornbill Airways so licensing wouldn't be the issue ... unlike FAX.

looking forward to someone introducing amphibious aircraft and airship routes !

but why do they need to buy when they can start their own ? Each state already has its own private operators ie: Sabah Air & Hornbill Airways so licensing wouldn't be the issue ... unlike FAX.

looking forward to someone introducing amphibious aircraft and airship routes !

If only there was an amphibious route to Damai/Santubong :pardon:

Sign in to follow this