MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KC Sim

Boeing 747 Retirement

Hi all,

the recent retirement of Singapore Airlines' Boeing 747-400 from passenger service has set me thinking about the retirement plans of the B747 in other airlines.

JAL has done it in 2011 and SIA has done it in 2012. It is my understanding that by sometime next year, Air China too will retire the last of its B744 from passenger service. Does anyone know which other airlines have retired their B747 from passenger service and who's planning it (and in what time frame and with what replacement aircraft type)?

Many thanks.

KC Sim

The last of MH's B744 will be retired when the 6th A380 gets delivered, so that should be in 1Q2013.

Came up with a quick list of airlines in the region that will probably be getting rid of the B744s soon:

-MAS with the delivery of all A380s

-Garuda, once their B77Ws come online

-ANA - scheduled to retire the B744D within the next two years. Their last international B744 was retired in March 2011, just after JAL got rid of theirs.

-Philippine Airlines? If the country gets the FAA CAT1 upgrade perhaps.

Anyone know the status of Air India's B744(s)?

Edited by Jerrold Wu

Quick and Nasty... oh I mean QANTAS was going to do away with the bulk of their 747-400s and keep the 747-400ERs and replaced the non-ER 747-400s with A380s from what I read.

Air NZ is progressively retiring their 747-400s with more 777-300ERs coming onboard.

Fiji's Air Pacific is going to retire their 747-400s once their A330-200s are delivered in 2013. They have already retired their sole 767-300ER in February this year.

KLM will keep their 744's for at least another 5 years...

New Business-Class seats will be installed eff Q1 of 2013...

Quick and Nasty... oh I mean QANTAS was going to do away with the bulk of their 747-400s and keep the 747-400ERs and replaced the non-ER 747-400s with A380s from what I read.

Qantas recently retired VH-OJO, the one with Go Wallabies! livery. QF is also accelerating the retirement of B744 non-ER,keeping only three or four.

Sign in to follow this