MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
MIR

Sandakan (SDK/WBKS) Spotting

Rumoured that Prince William and wife might arrive SDK from KUL on 15/09 and departing to Honiara(HIR) the next day.

Heard that the royal couple is visiting Danum valley near Lahad Datu, so are they still stopping at SDK? or BKI only?

Heard that the royal couple is visiting Danum valley near Lahad Datu, so are they still stopping at SDK? or BKI only?

Looks like Sandakan is not in their itinerary :

September 14, Malaysia

• Cultural event featuring music at Kuala Lumpur Park
  • Their Royal Highnesses will be guests of honor at a lunch given by the British Malaysian Chamber of Commerce. Prince William will give a speech at the lunch to the assembled businessmen and women in which he will underline the importance of the relationship both for British and Malaysian prosperity and for cultural ties between the two nations.
  • The Duke and Duchess will attend a Diamond Jubilee tea party hosted by the British High Commissioner and his wife at their residence.
  • Their Royal Highnesses travel to Kota Kinabalu, in Sabah, Malaysia where they'll attend a reception hosted by the Sabah State Government in their honor, before retiring for the night.

September 15, Malaysia

• The Duke and Duchess will travel by Government helicopter to Danum Valley where they will have a chance to meet Royal Society scientists and volunteers, and to experience some of the jungle for themselves.
  • Their Royal Highnesses will retire privately to a nearby lodge for a private lunch.

Edited by MIR

Had quick spotting for MH2046 at SDK during CNY yesterday.

Funny MH is using the new B737-800 from Kota Kinabalu whereas flights originating from Kuala Lumpur are still in the old B737-400.

DSCF3385_zps92a9b023.jpg

DSCF3387_zps2a7d4875.jpg

DSCF3389_zps73afa9c1.jpg

DSCF3396_zps8c9b38c5.jpg

DSCF3402_zps31db4461.jpg

Edited by jahur

Flights will be upgraded to B738 in stages; do rest assured.Anyhow thanks for the photo from SDK.

thanks for sharing. the airport terminal looks deserted at that time. Will try to upload a few photos i have taken before CNY.

Btw, heard about AirPhil Express proposed Zamboanga - Sandakan route?

Flightaware showing there is an Air Asia flight AXM9797 coming in from Subang this afternoon. Apart from that, Tawau is getting a flight from Kota Bharu AXM9793 today. Special charter perhaps....

Edited by MIR

Flightaware showing there is an Air Asia flight AXM9797 coming in from Subang this afternoon. Apart from that, Tawau is getting a flight from Kota Bharu AXM9793 today. Special charter perhaps....

heard it was something like military flights....? :help: correct me if i'm wrong...

Yup, charter flight AirAsia from KBR to TWU bring extra armed forces based in Kelantan to Sabah. I just saw at KBR this afternoon our armed forces get ready to fly there.

Saw scenes of the troops with their family before boarding and it was just like what you see in the movies about American troops before their deployment. Truly touching. I personally went up to them to thank them and wish them well before they boarded.

do the troops need to pay for their own food and drinks on board??

For the sacrifices they made, I sure hope Uncle Tony sponsored it. I'm surprised that AirAsia (instead of MH or RMAF) is doing the transport for the army.