MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

UK PM's choice of airline

Seems that David Cameron’s choice of airline for his trip to Asia has not gone down well with some:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9197170/David-Cameron-flies-the-flag...on-an-Angolan-plane.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2127909/Note-PM--youre-supposed-promoting-British-business-Cameron-flies-Tokyo-Angolan-plane.html

Im surprised that MAS didnt get a chance especialy with plently of spare 747's

Yes, lots of discussion going on but Daily Mail is not a serious newspaper.

UK Budget cuts mean that the RAF no longer has the hardware - so they have to pay the price in prestige.

The controversy aside, I am pleased that Mr David Cameron chartered the B747-400 of Atlas Air ... I was wondering when I would have the opportunity to see and photograph this beautiful Jumbo ... and it turned up yesterday in Singapore Changi Airport for a brief 2-hour stop before going on to Nayphitaw in Myanmar.

mw-N322SG-2012-04-13-06Cr-GTI-B744-TOS-BritishPMDavidCameron.jpg

KC Sim

Any idea what the cabin is like?

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?airlinesearch=Atlas%20Air%20%28SonAir%29&distinct_entry=true

Third shot has a pic of the upper deck. Sad how Britain has rationalized it's way out of a proper VIP transport. I'm also surprised by how easily MP's here resign over the smallest misdemeanor, guess this is the true definition of a public servant.

If my leaders fly this type of aircraft/cabin for official duties domestically and internationally, I will consider to give my vote to them for the rest of my life ......... but UNFORTUNATELY ............ :help:

:hi:

Edited by Lock SH

If my leaders fly this type of aircraft/cabin for official duties domestically and internationally, I will consider to give my vote to them for the rest of my life ......... but UNFORTUNATELY ............ :help:

While there is nobody worthy to vote FOR, there is always somebody to vote AGAINST.

While there is nobody worthy to vote FOR, there is always somebody to vote AGAINST.

Sad really, it boils down to choosing the lesser of evils then in that case :)

If my leaders fly this type of aircraft/cabin for official duties domestically and internationally, I will consider to give my vote to them for the rest of my life .....

You would ?! :blink:

SonAir/Atlas could be due for a windfall in Malaysia soon then :D

The most unglamourous transport used by any VVIP worldwide must surely be the one used by Singapore's PM Lee Hsien Loong ... he travelled to some summit meetings in a Fokker 50!!!!!

But that saved us tonnes of tax-payers' money ....

KC Sim

Well the Penang Chief Minister travels on normal scheduled carriers like AirAsia. It looks like he does not have access to the RMAF's VIP transport!

Well the Penang Chief Minister travels on normal scheduled carriers like AirAsia. It looks like he does not have access to the RMAF's VIP transport!

You mean the current one or the former one? The former one is known to travel on AK it appears... :-D

The most unglamourous transport used by any VVIP worldwide must surely be the one used by Singapore's PM Lee Hsien Loong ... he travelled to some summit meetings in a Fokker 50!!!!!

KC Sim

That is very low-key and unglamorous. I assume it may have make multiple stops in between....I don't think F-50 has flat bed and all the blings like those ME folks have on their battalion of A340 and B744......hahas!!

KC Sim

No idea why the SG gov would continue to use the F50 as a VIP transport though. Have spent 15 years flying the F27 / F50 as a passenger (intra-borneo routes) and they are atrocious for work, the best you could do would be to doze off from the constant vibrations or cabin heat ! Took my 1st flight when I was 2 weeks old and despite the shortcomings, the F50 remains my favorite aircraft. Used to take it over the ATR-72 while possible.

Certainly the Lee dynasty would see sense in giving a transport aircraft where meaningful work could be done ? Or is the SG PM not worth that much ?

No idea why the SG gov would continue to use the F50 as a VIP transport though. Have spent 15 years flying the F27 / F50 as a passenger (intra-borneo routes) and they are atrocious for work, the best you could do would be to doze off from the constant vibrations or cabin heat ! Took my 1st flight when I was 2 weeks old and despite the shortcomings, the F50 remains my favorite aircraft. Used to take it over the ATR-72 while possible.

Certainly the Lee dynasty would see sense in giving a transport aircraft where meaningful work could be done ? Or is the SG PM not worth that much ?

Isn't SG's premier the world's best paid government leader? Surely he can splurge on an A380 suite on SQ for trips right?

No idea why the SG gov would continue to use the F50 as a VIP transport though

Would not be surprised if these exercises have substantial PR value worked into it - for Singaporeans' consumption only of course

Sort of like the F50 is used as transport for the PM (as opposed to VIP transport) :)

Sign in to follow this