MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
xtemujin

2013 Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition, Langkawi, Malaysia

MWings LIMA Attendance List

MEMBER ARR DEPT

Nguyen Vu Loc 27 Mar 29 Mar
flee 25 Mar 28 Mar
wan mohd 24 Mar 28 Mar (hope it is not APR as stated in reply 48 above)
Sascha 24 Mar 31 Mar
iwan ? Mar ? Mar

Hi. I'm formerly resident of Langkawi but now residing in PJ. I'll be in Langkawi from 23rd Mac until 31st Mac. Hopefully to meet other members of MWings group during LIMA'13.

May I suggest we have a 'teh tarik' session at Nasi Kandar Tomato Restaurant near Pantai Chenang? It's just about 10 minutes drive from the Langkawi airport.Or probably in a restaurant in the airport.

Those who need some assistance in term of last minute accomodations or transportion may contact me. I might be able to help. My e-mail address: khairuddin_airmalaysia@yahoo.com.

See u all in Langkawi! Cheers!

Hi Flee,

Ill be traveling between 26th(night) to 29th (Night).

Sascha, Thats a very very good guide you have there. actually printed it out to 'digest' tonight after i go home. :)

Drinks would be perfect!Looking forward to meet up with you guys!

was browsing through LIMA 2011 pics. now i miss the roar of my darling MkM even more!

Edited by iwan

A teh tarik session sounds very good! Wednesday the 27th? 7pm at Nasi Kandar Tomato Restaurant?

What about the airshow-participation of the US-stuff? USAF cancelled all airshow participations in US and Europe due budget cuts. Blue Angels and Thunderbirds are grounded from April onwards.

Dear MWinger,

After years of disappointing pics, i need some advice on what lens to pair with my d80 for aircraft photography.

Ive had a look around and im not sure what should i lookout for with so many choices around. Is it purely the length?is 200mm sufficient?what else can i research on?

My budget would be around 2k for the lens.

Thanks in advance :(

What lens were you using previously?

Any telephoto lens from 100 to 500mm focal length can be used, depending on what photos you are shooting. Nikon Nikkor lenses cover this range. You can also take a look at Tamron or Sigma zooms.

The Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Telephoto Zoom might be what you are looking for:

http://shashinki.com/shop/tamron-70300mm-f456-telephoto-zoom-lens-nikon-digital-slrs-35mm-film-cameras-futuromic-p-7987.html

Some users have noted that it performs better than the Nikon equivalent:

http://shashinki.com/shop/nikon-70300mm-f4556g-nikkor-zoomnikkor-ifed-p-366.html

Both are within your budget.

My personal experience with Nikon lenses is that they break down after some use - focus drive motors, VR fail, etc. Not sure about how reliable non Nikon makes are...

What lens were you using previously?

Any telephoto lens from 100 to 500mm focal length can be used, depending on what photos you are shooting. Nikon Nikkor lenses cover this range. You can also take a look at Tamron or Sigma zooms.

The Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Telephoto Zoom might be what you are looking for:

http://shashinki.com/shop/tamron-70300mm-f456-telephoto-zoom-lens-nikon-digital-slrs-35mm-film-cameras-futuromic-p-7987.html

Some users have noted that it performs better than the Nikon equivalent:

http://shashinki.com/shop/nikon-70300mm-f4556g-nikkor-zoomnikkor-ifed-p-366.html

Both are within your budget.

My personal experience with Nikon lenses is that they break down after some use - focus drive motors, VR fail, etc. Not sure about how reliable non Nikon makes are...

Thanks for the reply Flee!

im currently using the D80 kit 135mm lens.

i was browsing through shashinki as well, and was overwhelmed by the many types of lenses. which is why i started crying out for help.. :p

was wondering why a nikon 70-300(RM1958) in the link you gave is cheaper than an 18-200mm (RM2598)?

http://shashinki.com/shop/nikon-18200mm-f3556g-wide-angle-telephoto-zoomnikkor-lens-p-3499.html

Plus is RM2k enough for me to get a decent lens for airshow photography or if bumping it up to Rm2.5k will give me a significant improvement?

A friend of mine did recommend Tamron lenses but with my limited experience in lenses and photography, i thought it was a dodgy brand. :sorry:

iwan,

The Nikon 18-200 is considered a "superzoom" lens and is a more complicated design. This is because it covers the wide angle to telephoto range. That is why it is more expensive. These kind of lenses are for people who do not want to change lenses and want to travel light. They are ideal for holiday snapshots.

Your 18-135 kit lens is ideal for the static display shots but is a little too short for aircraft in flight. For small aircraft like your favourite SU-30 MKM, long lenses are better so that you can fill your frame.

If you are not sure of the quality of the lenses, Google up some reviews. Tamron is OK for some models but not so good for others.

This is one of the sites that I use for reviews. There are many others!

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

I don't think pushing the budget up to RM 2,500 will give you better returns. You will need to spend more to get "pro" quality lenses. Even the Sigma 120-400 (non-EX or non Pro lens in Sigma's range) is already RM 3,000 for a grey import unit: http://shashinki.com/shop/sigma-120400mm-f4556-autofocus-lens-nikon-import-p-13422.html

iwan,

The Nikon 18-200 is considered a "superzoom" lens and is a more complicated design. This is because it covers the wide angle to telephoto range. That is why it is more expensive. These kind of lenses are for people who do not want to change lenses and want to travel light. They are ideal for holiday snapshots.

Your 18-135 kit lens is ideal for the static display shots but is a little too short for aircraft in flight. For small aircraft like your favourite SU-30 MKM, long lenses are better so that you can fill your frame.

If you are not sure of the quality of the lenses, Google up some reviews. Tamron is OK for some models but not so good for others.

This is one of the sites that I use for reviews. There are many others!

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

I don't think pushing the budget up to RM 2,500 will give you better returns. You will need to spend more to get "pro" quality lenses. Even the Sigma 120-400 (non-EX or non Pro lens in Sigma's range) is already RM 3,000 for a grey import unit: http://shashinki.com/shop/sigma-120400mm-f4556-autofocus-lens-nikon-import-p-13422.html

ok,after hours of reading online,i think ill go for the 70-300mm nikon. went to shop around and it seems that some shops are selling even cheaper than shashinki. any catch there?

plus, is it advisable to get a 1 year old second hand lens?and since these lenses are fragile and high precision stuffs, will it be too risky?

ive studied the pics from the previous LIMA and most of my 'smile-worthy' pics were of planes flying up close. Hopefully a long lens will help me with half of my blurry photos.

Here are a few pics of the 2011 LIMA using the D80 paired with a kit 135mm lens
sh3.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
sh12.jpg
What frustrated me was that in most of my pictures, i just couldnt get the details of the planes.
DSC_0553.jpg
DSC_0656.jpg
fs2.jpg

Im planning to extend my stay to saturday night after reading sachas link on the spotting locations. Too many spots, too little time and aerial displays. :(

ok,after hours of reading online,i think ill go for the 70-300mm nikon. went to shop around and it seems that some shops are selling even cheaper than shashinki. any catch there?

plus, is it advisable to get a 1 year old second hand lens?and since these lenses are fragile and high precision stuffs, will it be too risky?

ive studied the pics from the previous LIMA and most of my 'smile-worthy' pics were of planes flying up close. Hopefully a long lens will help me with half of my blurry photos.

Shashinki is not the cheapest - and your negotiation skills at the shop can net you some better prices. Or sometimes, you are just lucky that there are clearance sales. Nikon USA are discounting lenses like crazy now just to move their stocks.

Not sure about the second hand items though. Some MWingers are able to buy good ones. As usual, buyer beware!

Yes, you will need to be selective as regards to what you shoot. You should not shoot everything that is in the sky! Be aware of the light quality and quantity.

Yes, staying extra days would be useful so you get a second chance to shoot your target if you missed it earlier.

MWings LIMA Attendance List

MEMBER ARR DEPT

Nguyen Vu Loc 27 Mar 29 Mar

flee 25 Mar 28 Mar

wan mohd 24 Mar 28 Mar (hope it is not APR as stated in reply 48 above)

Sascha 24 Mar 31 Mar

iwan ? Mar ? Mar

Just bought a coach ticket to Kuala Perlis 26th March. No return date, accommodation yet. Hope to meet another "Pro" MWingers, although I'm just a novice

Anyone can recommend a a good place to stay?

News regarding the participation of the Russian Knights? There is no confirmation on the offical LIMA-homepage, yet!?

Impromptu decision to try and get to LIMA'13 :p Won't be able to make the weekend for "Public" ... anybody knows if there is a criteria for people to register as a "Trade Visitor" ? If it helps, currently working as an engineer for a petroleum company

Edited by Timothy

Impromptu decision to try and get to LIMA'13 :p Won't be able to make the weekend for "Public" ... anybody knows if there is a criteria for people to register as a "Trade Visitor" ? If it helps, currently working as an engineer for a petroleum company

Why don't you try it out here - http://www.lima.com.my/visitorRegistration.html

Just register, pay the RM 50 fee & I think you're through!

I received this information, could be just a draft or the final one.... :pardon:

Kuah Air Display

23-25 March (Rehearsal) : 0830-0900 & 1220-1400

26 March (Opening) : 0830-0900 & 1220-1400

27-28 March: 1220-1400

29-30 March : 0950 - 1130 & 1420-1600

Tanjung Malai Naval Air Display

23-25 March (Rehearsal) : 1030-1130, 1500-1600, 1630-1800

26 March (Opening) : 1030-1130, 1500-1600, 1630-1800

27 March : 1030-1130 & 1630-1800

28 March : 1030-1130 & 1500-1600

29-30 March : 0950-1130 & 1420-1600

Subject to change

Edited by MIR

Why don't you try it out here - http://www.lima.com.my/visitorRegistration.html

Just register, pay the RM 50 fee & I think you're through!

Thanks, I assume forumers who are attending before 29/3 are all on Trade passes as well ?

The last LIMA I went to was in 1997 (?) so just checking if there are any document checks for those with Trade passes :)

Thought they mention a fly pass by MH A380 but no news on it?

I know LIMA is not all about Air Show. But seems the conference and seminar are only for delegates- I'm talking about USD500++ fees. Can a public like myself attend any talk, regarding maritime/aviation industries?

Thought they mention a fly pass by MH A380 but no news on it?

I'm hope there will be one.

Muhammad: You should read all topics relating to LIMA in our MW website, there are 2 last days for general public. About the trade days, I had registered online and will pay only 50 ringgits when I collect the visitor tag at the Convention (50Rm not 500USD!) With this pass I can enter every trade days. The difficulty is being accepted as trade visitor and cannot wear shorts & T-shirt. I work for the oil&gas industry and my only relationship with aviation is hiring helicopter for offshore crew change,yet I get positive reply right after completion of the registration form. So try to register right now, today 17 is the last day for online registration.

IN FOCUS: Airframers gear up for another LIMA
By Greg Waldron Singapore

Delegates at the 26-30 March Langkawi International Maritime & Aerospace (LIMA) exhibition would be wise not to hold discussions in the corridors between stands. If they do, they will unceremoniously be shooed to the side by urgent men in suits. Shortly thereafter, a large delegation will push through. While the prime minister's delegation of possibly 100 aides and security personnel will inevitably be the largest, every general, politician, and senior civil servant will attend the show with an impressive entourage.

Despite the lavish delegations snaking through LIMA's two smallish show halls, Kuala Lumpur's ambitions for its air force are best described as modest. This is the opposite of the situation at the Singapore air show, where modest-sized, polite delegations belie a steely ambition to maintain Southeast Asia's most potent air force.

Perhaps the only big change from the last instalment of LIMA in December 2011 is the show's timing, which has been brought forward by eight months to late March. Show organisers say the revised schedule is easier for the Royal Malaysian Air Force and the country's navy to accommodate. The move also goes some way to deconflicting LIMA and the Singapore air show, the next iteration of which falls in February 2014.

One thing that has not changed since December 2011, however, is the security situation confronting Kuala Lumpur. As ever, Malaysia's western seaboard commands the Strait of Malacca, a waterway of inestimable importance to Northeast Asian powers such as China, Japan and South Korea. Its eastern seaboard fronts the South China Sea, where Malaysia, the Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam and China have conflicting territorial claims.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/in-focus-airframers-gear-up-for-another-lima-383214/