MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Liu

Malaysia Airlines creates a no-child zone

yeah.. this is absolutely great idea from MAS. To those who oppose for it, you still have another 300++ seats on the lower deck. Hear this good move from mas definately a rare ones. Hope to hear more good news from them :D

Brilliant idea! Finally they got something right!

What if my kids happen to prefer to fly on the upper deck?

I will send them to carriers who like to receive them, rather than those who don't.

I guess when you have kids you can tell them to say good bye to upper deck on your national carrier then.

Personally I don't think this is even remotely discriminative. Judging by your post, your kids must be a bit of an aviation enthusiast to care about sitting in the upper/lower deck on the 380, following in dad's footsteps? :)

We reared 6 kids, now all grown up -- what a relief, no more kids around us! Sheer bliss. :)

Brilliant idea! Finally they got something right!

Personally I don't think this is even remotely discriminative. Judging by your post, your kids must be a bit of an aviation enthusiast to care about sitting in the upper/lower deck on the 380, following in dad's footsteps? :)

Since people are on different agenda and things, it is not up to people to interpret whether it is discriminatory or not. I will leave it to the court to interpret it. Forget about the Malaysian court, they are infamous for being useless anyway.

Consider this. If you swap the kids with say someone who are obese (which is considered “Fat”). What happens if you restrict them from the upper deck? Try tell them they can use all the lower deck they want to.

I have friends who even took their kids to travel abroad on business class and they have an infant. Can you really prevent kids travelling on the upper deck, business or first? When you slap their face with dollar bills, can they really resist it?

My kids behaved well on the plane and the baby slept all the way through. I don’t see what the big deal is about to me. We flew between SIN-NRT on the A380s on the Upper deck and we love the extra storage bin on the side. Seriously, no biggie for me if I don’t fly with MH. They are not my preferred airline anyway – they have already lost the game long time ago due to some brilliant decisions from intelligent tip top management a long time ago. They might have been awarded the best cabin crew, frankly it is pretty meaningless to me. If they place such a silly restriction on parents with kids, they have lost me as a customer simple as that. Others might want to be conformist but MH can kiss my @ss.. J

Edited by S V Choong

The no-kid zone is only applied on Economy class. They still have bassinet for business class on upper deck.

You pay the same bucks flying economy and some folks just tells you that you aren't allowed in a section because you are fat or you have kids. How is that not discriminatory at all?

If the intention of keeping kids or crying babies free from the upper deck, the provision of bassinet in the business class (also in upper deck as I understood) defeated this purpose! Sitting at the upper deck economy section, one can still hear crying babies or have running kids from business class into the economy.

I bet they definitely will charge higher for those who wish to select the seats on the upper deck. MAS move is being reasonable, noticing on the complains from the travellers who can't bear with crying infants or kids making noises for flights require so many hours. I personally support MAS move while one may have to be considerate with other passengers' comfort on board.

Enhanced Family and Children-Friendly Inflight Zone on Our New A380 Economy Main Cabin

by Malaysia Airlines on Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 3:51am

430650_354608441246473_185723778134941_1061737_93758199_n.jpg

Malaysia Airlines will soon join the league of A380 operators, when its first A380 takes to the skies on 1 July 2012. Although the national carrier of Malaysia is the eighth operator of this aircraft, it strives to register several firsts when the A380 becomes its new flagship carrier.

Malaysia Airlines is the first to introduce the A380 in a new livery, different from that of its existing fleet. Another first being planned is to showcase the economy class zone in the main deck, enhanced and designated as a family and children friendly inflight zone. Therefore, this is to clarify on the recent news on social & online media regarding our A380 cabin.

We would like to introduce this concept in our flagship aircraft to make it a memorable travel experience for this group of travelers, whilst at the same time offering our in First and Business an enhanced travel experience as well.

From the perspective of customers travelling with their families, the economy class family-friendly convenience would be a warm welcome. The main deck has more facilities such as toilets (8 for economy configuration of 350 seats) and the dual aerobridge airport facility supporting this deck will also mean a speedier/faster embarkation and disembarkation for this group of passengers

Nevertheless, where there is overwhelming demand for seats in economy class from families with children and infants, resulting in full load in the main deck, we will still accommodate such demand in the 70-seat upper deck economy class zone of our A380.

Nevertheless, where there is overwhelming demand for seats in economy class from families with children and infants, resulting in full load in the main deck, we will still accommodate such demand in the 70-seat upper deck economy class zone of our A380.

That explains it all. If the demand is too great, you can still sit on upper deck with your kids. I'm sure it is not MH attention to be discriminatory, in contrast I found MH takes great care of families or passenger with babies.

what a great idea. Cheers MH on this one.But still Should have been premium Y on top.

Edited by jadivindra

We reared 6 kids, now all grown up -- what a relief, no more kids around us! Sheer bliss. :)

Wait until you get a grandchild haha :acute:

But I like the idea of fetching higher price for the no kids zone. Sort of paying extra for comfort. Way to go MAS. :)

Based on the past message board logics, those (parents) claims their kids are quiet and able to sleep through entire flight are usually the ones who can't control their kids on a flight.

Just because you taught your kids travel etiquette well, it doesn't means others are doing the same thing.

By the way, the news release and statement still doesn't address why they're not letting kids to sit on upper deck economy. Especially the way they stress children/family-friendly cabin is a bad PR image. Is SQ's A380 lower deck economy not children/family-friendly? What about Korean or Emirates? not friendly too?

By the way, the news release and statement still doesn't address why they're not letting kids to sit on upper deck economy. Especially the way they stress children/family-friendly cabin is a bad PR image. Is SQ's A380 lower deck economy not children/family-friendly? What about Korean or Emirates? not friendly too?

I think you'll find the reason was already fleshed out by former MD Tengku Azmil last year - and they feel it's not worth repeating.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Since people are on different agenda and things, it is not up to people to interpret whether it is discriminatory or not. I will leave it to the court to interpret it. Forget about the Malaysian court, they are infamous for being useless anyway.

Consider this. If you swap the kids with say someone who are obese (which is considered “Fat”). What happens if you restrict them from the upper deck? Try tell them they can use all the lower deck they want to.

I have friends who even took their kids to travel abroad on business class and they have an infant. Can you really prevent kids travelling on the upper deck, business or first? When you slap their face with dollar bills, can they really resist it?

My kids behaved well on the plane and the baby slept all the way through. I don’t see what the big deal is about to me. We flew between SIN-NRT on the A380s on the Upper deck and we love the extra storage bin on the side. Seriously, no biggie for me if I don’t fly with MH. They are not my preferred airline anyway – they have already lost the game long time ago due to some brilliant decisions from intelligent tip top management a long time ago. They might have been awarded the best cabin crew, frankly it is pretty meaningless to me. If they place such a silly restriction on parents with kids, they have lost me as a customer simple as that. Others might want to be conformist but MH can kiss my @ss.. J

MH has lost ur business but has gain others' business

MH to ban children and infants from travelling in A380 J class?

So, from what we've heard/read so far on the A380:

1.No babies (no bassinets installed) in First class.

2.No restrictions for babies and children in Business class (bassinets provided).

3.No babies and children under 12 on the upper deck in Economy.

4.No restrictions on lower deck of Economy.

Based on the past message board logics, those (parents) claims their kids are quiet and able to sleep through entire flight are usually the ones who can't control their kids on a flight.

Just because you taught your kids travel etiquette well, it doesn't means others are doing the same thing.

Based on the above information, I can pretty much tell the person who claimed the above has kids which he cannot control himself and thinks this happens to others too. Or either that, he is not a parent himself and full of BS. It sounds like you already know my kids by not even meeting them and only over the forum! Whoa :)

The general consensus is that kids are noisy and probably many are not kids friendly themselves. Singapore has economy class on the upper deck and lower deck, while Emirates has no economy on the upper deck. I do agree though it is a bad PR image.

MH has lost ur business but has gain others' business

I have no problem with those who are willing to stick to their national or their preferred airline. Do you have a problem with other's opposing opinion just because it is different from your own?

Edited by Gavin Andrew David

There's no such thing as one parent can claim his/her children will always behave for the entire flight and therefore they shall be given the exemption to board the upper deck as opposing MH's policy on "no child zone". There should be no exception else the purpose of the policy might be defeated.

SV Choong, your quoted plat as found in South Africa may illustrate the discrimination on the non white by white. But if you were to put the similar concept on adults and children, it would be different. If it applies on adults and children, one could understand that the premise is meant for adults only which means it could be some entertainment zone that's not suitable for children.

What MH is trying to do is to keep the best interest for every passenger on boards. I certainly expect the parents with children who are travelling with another counterparts will not likely to be interfered or annoyed since they could put themselves in the similar shoe. But definitely not the other way round.

This is just like during the war... it's cruel but still have to do the sacrifice to keep everyone alive. During the hideout from enemies at war, just because one parent failed to control his/her kid crying out loud and in results everyone got found out and killed by the enemies? This just happened in real. Sad but true...

I am just trying to make the point that not all children misbehave as it is generally perceived.

The entertainment zone as noted above is not a good example as flying isn't an adult entertainment. Unless of course they show adult movies in that particular area.

Kids are part of life and they are not animals. I don't mind if the zone is created as an extra comfort that one can extra to enjoy the quietness. I reject the idea that they are created as kids free. Like someone kindly pointed above, the wont make it clear as to why they wanted it to be kids free, it is not nice to say the reason why and it is bad PR.

Therefore as I said, i am quite happy to go for SQ and the others who do not practice that kind of policy.

Edited by S V Choong

In the old days, this "debate" would not even be possible because seating arrangements are the prerogative of the airline. We are now so spoilt these days that we are behaving like brats when we cannot get a seat of our choice!

I recalled in the previous threads mentioning that if the bookings are overwhelmed with family travelling with infants, where lower deck is already fully booked then upper deck would have to be given to these travellers too. That's the exception that i could recall. Perhaps on upper deck, half at front for adults and half at back for family with children? Does MH even allow unaccompanied minors??

MH definitely provides a service for unaccompanied minors.

Sign in to follow this