MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Liu

Malaysia Airlines creates a no-child zone

New policy for A380: No children aged 12 or under allowed to seat in the upper deck Economy Class on A380, according to notice issued to travel agents in Korea.

Yes, I got my girlfriend (who fortunately is Korean!) to translate the relevant part for me: "The economy seats on upper level will be allocated for business travellers. Passengers accompanying children under 12 years old age will be excluded from booking these seats."

Full story at http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airlines-mas-declares-kid-free-zone-on-airbus-a380

What an excellent idea this is...! Upstairs on the MH A380 will become the cabin of choice for many savvy economy passengers. But what a pain if you don't know that and are stuck downstairs where all of the under-12s will be located (and any bulkhead seat on the A380's lower deck will now have a higher chance of having a baby in the cot).

Is this a new form of discrimination which came from a country where other forms of discrimination is practiced?

I will fly with Singapore Airlines any day who are more family friendly and in fact we have flown on their upper deck on the A380. Not a big deal for me if I don't get to fly MH's A380.

Interesting. Anyhow, upper deck and lower deck both going to the same place..

Malaysia Airlines creates a no-child zone

• Malaysia Airlines announces no-go area for kids
  • Will be restricted to the lower deck on its A380s
  • Comes after it banned babies from first class

FIRST it banned babies from first class, and now Malaysia Airlines has declared a child-free zone on its Airbus A380s.

The child ban applies to the upper deck economy section of its jets, restricting children to the lower deck, Australian Business Traveller reports.

The move was revealed in an advisory issued to travel agents which stated that children under 12 would be banned from the section on its new superjumbo, which is set to make its debut on July 1.

It hopes that the adults-only cabin will ensure a more enjoyable flight for business travellers who have to fly in economy.

According to an airline memo sent to South Korean travel site Topasweb: "(the booking system) is currently being developed so that, when customer has (a child or infant booking), seats on upper deck will automatically be excluded from selection.

"Please make your seat selection at lower level if you are travelling with children under 12 years old."

The airline banned babies from its first class section on its A380 and 747-400 fleet last year after receiving a number of complains about crying infants.

Its first flight will be between Kuala Lumpur and London, with a Sydney-Kuala Lumpur flight on September 25.

Is this a new form of discrimination which came from a country where other forms of discrimination is practiced?

I will fly with Singapore Airlines any day who are more family friendly and in fact we have flown on their upper deck on the A380. Not a big deal for me if I don't get to fly MH's A380.

Don't you think you're overdramatizing it a bit - it's not like kids aren't allowed to fly on the A380 at all.

They have the entire lower deck to run around.

Don't you think you're overdramatizing it a bit - it's not like kids aren't allowed to fly on the A380 at all.

Yup, agreed. Now MH my choice. :)

I never have problems with babies on flight before, but the worst offenders mostly were kids (3-5 yo) and ignorant parents.

A very good move by MH, if it is to attract more premium business.

In my experience, it is quite tiring to be in the same plane as screaming, hyperactive kids. At least babies cry and then fall asleep. So having some peace and quiet on board is a good thing and MH should be able to charge higher fares for upper deck seats. This would be one way of improving yield.

Edited by flee

IMHO, MH has done a good move by introducing this policy

Good kids, no problem. Hyperactive kids, yes....big problem, especially when their parents are very ignorance.

Yup, agreed. Now MH my choice. :)

I love the idea of a no-kid zone! MH is my preferred choice!!

This is really very informative forum post you have shared here...Its really great decision taken by Malaysia Airlines..

Thanks a lot for sharing..

So will adult only deck feature adult only movies ? :spiteful:

Adult movie can't be screened publicly in Malaysia...

What if my kids happen to prefer to fly on the upper deck?

I will send them to carriers who like to receive them, rather than those who don't.

I guess when you have kids you can tell them to say good bye to upper deck on your national carrier then.

MH must have been getting some rave feedbacks with no babies first class.. Now they want to introduce it to economy. I like the idea.

Yes a good move for an airline that is looking to improve their yields. MH should sell the upper deck seats at higher prices.

Agreed with most of you here. There are lot of places in this world not allowed kids to enter and we are ok with it. BTW, MAS introduced this kind of policy of course after carefully reviewed and done numerous researches due to many factors. They didnt introduce it just for fun!

Sign in to follow this