MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Min Chun

International Air Disasters

Many SQ 747(SPK in Tropical Megatop Scheme) can be found in A.net..But be ready before u search the pictures!

I heard that the pilot taxing to the wrong runway and they only discovered when they were rotating and meet a "cari makan" on runway. They tried to pull up the aircraft, but no doubt how they tried, still crashed..this is what i heard. Not sure whether it's correct or not:)

they hit a "caterpillar" on the runway :D , actually the caterpillar construction equipment on the runway which were used for repairing the runway.

BTW, any info about China Eastern MD-11 which 2 pax were killed. this occured over the pacific when the crew accidently lower the slat at cruising alt. just want to know how the pax got killed, is the fuselage got ripped?

Azuddin

here something i found about the 4 years old girl who's the only survivor on Northwest Airline Flight 255.

Cecelia Marie Cichan (born April 10, 1983, now known as Cecelia Marie Cichan-Lumpkin) is best known as the 4-year-old girl who was the only survivor of the August 16, 1987 crash of a McDonnell-Douglas DC-9 carrying Northwest Airlines Flight 255, which occurred during the takeoff phase from Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport for its flight to Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix, Arizona, with an onward flight to Santa Ana, California.

A popular myth has her mother, Paula Cichan, credited with saving Cecelia's life. It was commonly believed that she wrapped herself around the seat that her daughter occupied, protecting Cecelia from the post-crash fire. However, Cecelia was located by rescue workers in her seat - several feet away from her mother's body. Paula Cichan died in the crash, along with Cecelia's father, Michael Cichan, and her 6-year-old brother, David Cichan.

Cecelia Cichan was sent to live with relatives in Birmingham, Alabama, in the aftermath of the crash, who took precautions to ensure that she was not constantly hounded by the media. She is now a devout Catholic, and she attends the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. She avoids reporters and does not give interviews. As a result, little else is known about her life since the crash.

about the 3 holler, here's the link from airdisaster.com

China Eastern MD-11

the aircraft registration was B-2171

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

How did the slat on wings kill pax inside the fuselage/cabin?

i wish i knew

the information is not very clear about this. I'm guessing the slat broke of or punch through the cabin and hit the 2 pax :unsure: , just my guessing.

Azuddin

I suppose you meant port engine :unsure:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19790525-2

Also can we regard 11 Sept as an air disaster?

I suppose any incident whereby crew and pax of an aircraft are injured/killed is a disaster. I am not too sure if an aircraft hitting a guy on the ground can be termed an air disaster although this is still a reportable incident in the air navigation regulations.

I just remember those day where CO employee suck into the engine...............ewww :o

Edited by Seth K

The air traffic controller was subsequently murdered by a hitman who was hired by one of the parents of the school kids...

I thought the parent himself did the killing ..? According to NGC.

Guest Fendy

How did the slat on wings kill pax inside the fuselage/cabin?

according to http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetGOJG/060493.htm ,

"...an inadvertent deployment of the leading edge wing slats while in cruise flight, approximately 950 nautical miles south of Shemya, Alaska. The autopilot disconnected, and the captain was manually controlling the airplane when it progressed through several violent pitch oscillations and lost 5,000 feet of altitude. The captain regained stabilized flight, declared an emergency because of passenger injuries, and diverted to the U.S. Air Force Base, Shemya, Alaska. Of the 235 passengers and 20 crewmembers aboard the airplane, 2 passengers were fatally injured, and 149 passengers and 7 crewmembers received various injuries."

So, these two fatalities were caused by the violent pitch oscillations, apparently, and not caused by the slat deployment :huh: ?

I thought the parent himself did the killing ..? According to NGC.

Yup, a Russian guy who lost his wife and kids in the collision stabbed the hapless ATC chap. He was arrested soon after and last Oct was sentenced to 8 yrs imprisonment.

.ny

Guest Fendy

So, these two fatalities were caused by the violent pitch oscillations, apparently, and not caused by the slat deployment :huh: ?

pieter, the slat deployment caused the violent pitch oscillations, causing the two fatalities.

I just remember those day where CO employee suck into the engine...............ewww :o

still remember that one, just about +- a month ago.

Azuddin

Yup, a Russian guy who lost his wife and kids in the collision stabbed the hapless ATC chap. He was arrested soon after and last Oct was sentenced to 8 yrs imprisonment.

.ny

Poor guy - I suppose anyone can understand what drove him to such measure.

SIA 9V-SPK (B747-400-Tropical Megatop scheme) did crash during rotate at TPE. but the plane split into 3.

i will keep my eye on the crash that you mentioned. anyway, any exact location and year of htat one?

Azuddin

thanks first.... i'll try to get some more info from my teacher...

Many SQ 747(SPK in Tropical Megatop Scheme) can be found in A.net..But be ready before u search the pictures!

I heard that the pilot taxing to the wrong runway and they only discovered when they were rotating and meet a "cari makan" on runway. They tried to pull up the aircraft, but no doubt how they tried, still crashed..this is what i heard. Not sure whether it's correct or not:)

i head teh 1 one of teh pilot is a Malaysian rite.... i thinks there are quite a number of survive and alot of death too....

.ny

Is that the one shown in NationalGeographic? :blink:

still remember that one, just about +- a month ago.

Azuddin

Oops..really sad and sorry to hear that..I didnt know much about that. Azuddin, any source about that incident? If notm mistaken, Edwin have a picture of the engine with blood on it..But i think can only be posted if everyone are ready for that..

Is that the one shown in NationalGeographic? :blink:

Oops..really sad and sorry to hear that..I didnt know much about that. Azuddin, any source about that incident? If notm mistaken, Edwin have a picture of the engine with blood on it..But i think can only be posted if everyone are ready for that..

Continental mechanic sucked into engine - Airdisaster.com link

here's the link about it.

you got the picture of that, please PM it to me or e-mail it to me at azuddin86@yahoo.com. i want to see it.

Azuddin

Flight SR111 of Swiss Air

Investigators have concluded the Swissair Flight 111 crash was caused by a fire on board the aircraft.

The fire is thought to have started when a spark from a damaged wire ignited insulation material in the in-flight entertainment system.

All 229 people on board the flight were killed when the aircraft plunged into the Atlantic in 1998.

Canada's Transportation Safety Board has published their final conclusions from an investigation which has taken more than four years and cost $30m.

"This has been the largest, most complex aviation investigation the TSB has ever undertaken," said the board's chairman Camille Theriault.

Swissair Flight 111 plummeted into the sea off Nova Scotia while en route from New York to Geneva.

'Smoke in cockpit'

Pilots reported smoke in the cockpit 53 minutes into the flight; the electrical systems began failing 13 minutes later.

The 338-page report concentrated on the in-flight entertainment system aboard the aircraft, saying a problem with wiring went unnoticed and the spark "most likely" started there.

Its recommendations include the testing of insulation materials and electrical systems and improving the flight cockpit and data recording systems.

Earlier recommendations led to flammable insulation material being removed from aircraft and improved fire procedure for pilots.

Mr Theriault added that the report would "change the face of aviation safety".

In-flight entertainment systems - which allow passengers to play games and watch videos - require large amounts of power to work them, Associated Press quoted one expert as saying.

In March 2002, a United States federal judge dismissed claims for punitive damages for families of victims of the Swissair crash.

I think this one was made intoa video By National Geographic Channel..

Link

Another air crash, JAL 123. Some pictures found here. Be prepared before you view it.

Link

Voice Record From Cockpit

Really feel sad and wanna cry after listening to the voice record...

Edited by Min Chun

Flight SR111 of Swiss Air

Another air crash, JAL 123. Some pictures found here. Be prepared before you view it.

Link

the picture is quiet horrify to me. i actually get to see some autopsy photos of the victim of MH F-50 crash in 1995, it's even worst. what worst above the other is that i actually see the body of PC7 pilot right infront of me.

Azuddin

i actually get to see some autopsy photos of the victim of MH F-50 crash in 1995, it's even worst

Sorry a lil out of topic , but i'm curious about what happened to the MH f-50 ?

i'm not sure how it crash, but it killed like 35 people.

Azuddin

thru i know is the F50 land when bad weather, runway wet and causing over-shot. pls correct me... :mellow: and i remember this crash did discuss somewhere rite? try search it... :)

thru i know is the F50 land when bad weather, runway wet and causing over-shot. pls correct me... :mellow: and i remember this crash did discuss somewhere rite? try search it... :)

i do think we discuss about it before. try to look into "malaysia air disaster" topic.

Azuddin