MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
zeqa

Royal Brunei 787 Dreamliner

BI Sales Manager for Peninsular Malaysia agreed to contact us by Monday on the options of 787 flight this November. Not that bad.

Hey guys, it was a great pleasure meeting the Mwingers who were at KLIA today. I managed to record a short video of V8-DLA taxiing in. Enjoy!

Edited by Chow Vi Thian

BI Sales Manager for Peninsular Malaysia agreed to contact us by Monday on the options of 787 flight this November. Not that bad.

Ask for the inaugural flights gift pack.

BI B787 moving in for a shower.

1375966_10152542076126091_1999437404_n.j

Cabin shot from seat 53K

1235224_10152542076166091_798415966_n.jp

Somehow I think DLA is not a very good registration. Isn't DLA an abbreviation for delay?

Thanks for the interior shot waiping. Looks pretty clinical and clean interior.

What do you think of the 787?

Still think Hainan Airlines livery looks better on the 787 than RBA

Edited by S V Choong

Thanks for the interior shot waiping. Looks pretty clinical and clean interior.

What do you think of the 787?

Still think Hainan Airlines livery looks better on the 787 than RBA

It was a dream that tuned into a nightmare. :(

Interior was comfy, clean and not cluttered at all. Some airlines try to put everything (blanket, pillow etc) on your seat before you arrive, but there is no place for them when you are seated. Never like that, even on business class.

Safety demo was done by the crew, which indicate that the video is not ready yet?

Brunei Times report on RB Dreamliner KL inaugural

ROYAL Brunei (RB) airlines’ 787 Dreamliner faced technical difficulties on its second commercial flight yesterday.

After landing at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), passengers were asked to disembark for a delayed take-off on the return flight due to minor technical issues.

RB airlines Deputy Chairman Dermot Mannion assured that the national carrier had strong engineering support from Boeing and Air France/KLM to manage any glitches.

Mannion remained upbeat when questioned about the four-hour delay, but did not specify the cause of the technical hitch.

“There will be technical glitches from time to time. We had one today and we dealt with it. We’re sorry we’re a little bit late back in Brunei but we’re still very, very confident with the programme,” he said.

The Dreamliner, fresh from Friday’s maiden voyage to Singapore, carried 113 passengers, including journalists and bloggers.

The Dreamliner, marketed by RB as the `Betterfly’, has had to struggle to improve its image following recent headlines of operational problems faced by other airlines.

It was acknowledged among industry experts, however, that new plane models are generally expected to present issues during operation.

Upon touchdown of flight BI871, the Malaysian airport splashed out a grand welcoming ceremony, spraying the aircraft with water cannons in an airport tradition afforded to the first arrival of any new aircraft model.

Passengers then joined a reception that included a traditional dance performance and a cake-cutting ceremony.

Brunei High Commissioner to Malaysia His Excellency Dato Paduka Hj Ishaaq Hj Abdullah was present at KLIA to join other guests Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad, Managing Director of Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) and Dermot Mannion, Deputy Chairman of RB.

“RB is the first airline to operate the Dreamliner in Southeast Asia and as the airport operator of KLIA, we are proud to welcome this new aircraft to KLIA’s family of fleet,” said Tan Sri Bashir in his speech.

Tan Sri Bashir gave plaudits to RB, speaking of the inspiration taken from the business growth of the airline in an industry that is both challenging and competitive.

“As a business partner, MAHB also benefits from this encouraging growth. RB’s Dreamliner operations would enable it to bring in a larger number of passengers per flight to KLIA, further boosting our passenger movements and at the same time would present a positive development for the tourism industry in both Malaysia and Brunei,” he said.

The Brunei Times

Somehow I think DLA is not a very good registration. Isn't DLA an abbreviation for delay?

Apparently it's supposed to stand for DreamLiner Alpha, but they should've thought it through considering it does sound pretty much like 'DeLAy'.

By the way, anybody got a photo of the gift pack? Asked the @tweeting787 about it and the disappointing response I got was:

"Goodies? They gave out goodies?? No one tells me anything! ;)"

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Mwingers.

Looks like the DreamLiner did not disappoint - it seems to deliver lots of nightmares without fail! ;)

Apparently it's supposed to stand for DreamLiner Alpha, but they should've thought it through considering it does sound pretty much like 'DeLAy'.

By the way, anybody got a photo of the gift pack? Asked the @tweeting787 about it and the disappointing response I got was:

"Goodies? They gave out goodies?? No one tells me anything! ;)"

the plane is trying to be funny i think

another person who tweeted @tweeting787 got these response

Yes they did Rayn. DM me your postal address please ;)

Don't fret Rayn, do send me your postal address :)

Think the person is another Mwinger

and here is a picture from someone's instagram by searching #royalbrunei

e5dd7c18387111e3b1c622000aa8000f_6.jpg

Edited by Teo

from @airlineroutes Royal Brunei Reduces Boeing 787 Kuala Lumpur operation in November 2013, from planned 11 weekly to 7 weekly

the plane is trying to be funny i think

Yeah I got that but it still didn't answer my question.

Anyways, thanks for sharing that linked pic! :)

I remember it mentioning about a 'mini-me' of some sort so I assumed the inaugural passengers were gonna get a scale model (esp since JC Wings has already released their 1:400 version) - well, apparently not.

Edited by Saiful

On a side note was informed that from the original 131 POB only 96 travel on the delayed flight. I counted about 10% either member of MalaysianWings or their friends/family. :clapping:

Yes, this is correct. Through some complex financial engineering, the local govt owned Islamic bank, BIBD, became it's financier after the winding down of LCAL a few years back. This was a done deal just before or after the former CEO from SQ left.

Researched a bit deeper on this matter...RBA did later acquire the rights to the LCAL order and have ownership to the aircraft. A local Islamic bank provided the financing (though it was effectively left to right pocket). So though we werent convinced by the local media due to lack of details, it was actually accurate reporting.

The subsequent flight to Singapore was delayed due to this. My early evening flight to Singapore was late by an hour plus. Luckily I didn't miss my connecting flight to europe

Brunei Times report on RB Dreamliner KL inaugural

ROYAL Brunei (RB) airlines’ 787 Dreamliner faced technical difficulties on its second commercial flight yesterday.

After landing at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), passengers were asked to disembark for a delayed take-off on the return flight due to minor technical issues.

RB airlines Deputy Chairman Dermot Mannion assured that the national carrier had strong engineering support from Boeing and Air France/KLM to manage any glitches.

Mannion remained upbeat when questioned about the four-hour delay, but did not specify the cause of the technical hitch.

“There will be technical glitches from time to time. We had one today and we dealt with it. We’re sorry we’re a little bit late back in Brunei but we’re still very, very confident with the programme,” he said.

The Dreamliner, fresh from Friday’s maiden voyage to Singapore, carried 113 passengers, including journalists and bloggers.

The Dreamliner, marketed by RB as the `Betterfly’, has had to struggle to improve its image following recent headlines of operational problems faced by other airlines.

It was acknowledged among industry experts, however, that new plane models are generally expected to present issues during operation.

Upon touchdown of flight BI871, the Malaysian airport splashed out a grand welcoming ceremony, spraying the aircraft with water cannons in an airport tradition afforded to the first arrival of any new aircraft model.

Passengers then joined a reception that included a traditional dance performance and a cake-cutting ceremony.

Brunei High Commissioner to Malaysia His Excellency Dato Paduka Hj Ishaaq Hj Abdullah was present at KLIA to join other guests Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad, Managing Director of Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) and Dermot Mannion, Deputy Chairman of RB.

“RB is the first airline to operate the Dreamliner in Southeast Asia and as the airport operator of KLIA, we are proud to welcome this new aircraft to KLIA’s family of fleet,” said Tan Sri Bashir in his speech.

Tan Sri Bashir gave plaudits to RB, speaking of the inspiration taken from the business growth of the airline in an industry that is both challenging and competitive.

“As a business partner, MAHB also benefits from this encouraging growth. RB’s Dreamliner operations would enable it to bring in a larger number of passengers per flight to KLIA, further boosting our passenger movements and at the same time would present a positive development for the tourism industry in both Malaysia and Brunei,” he said.

The Brunei Times

The subsequent flight to Singapore was delayed due to this. My early evening flight to Singapore was late by an hour plus. Luckily I didn't miss my connecting flight to europe

and further delay of 2hr for Singapore-Brunei flight last night

and further delay of 2hr for Singapore-Brunei flight last night

Oh dear, if the inbound to SG was delayed for the same duration, I would have missed my connecting flight, confirm! ::80::

BI 423 (STD 18:30) only left about 8pm. I thought since there are no more festivities for this second 787 flight to SIN, BI could have swapped the flight to an A320 and kept to the schedule.

BI 423 (STD 18:30) only left about 8pm. I thought since there are no more festivities for this second 787 flight to SIN, BI could have swapped the flight to an A320 and kept to the schedule.

I think the whole idea about deploying the B787 on these short sectors is so that they can iron out the teething problems and train the crew?

BTW, has anyone who has flown on this plane care to comment about the in flight noise levels?

Sharing with you guys the event last Saturday.

Royal Brunei had setup a counter for media pass collection beside the Airport Security Pass Counter. We were then being directed to proceed to the satellite terminal via the standard security clearance. Apologies for not having any photos on these.

The welcoming event was at Gate C2. Last minute preparations were being completed by the Royal Brunei staffs, MAB, event management personnel, dances and caterers.

KS787001GateC2C4_zps2810f153.jpg

KS787003BoardingInfo_zps5fbc7d2f.jpg

KS787002GateC2C4Balloons_zps5f0973a5.jpg

KS787007VIPTable_zps80113477.jpg

KS787008BigBanner_zps23f8fbf1.jpg

There were two Niner Victors and a few Mwingers, including Norman on this inaugural 787 flight to Brunei. However, like the many other passengers, they need to wait at Gate C4 and not able to join in the festivities.

KS787006Norman-Glass_zpsf70e5d48.jpg

With BI 871 at the East Coast, expected to arrive on time at 1115, C2 apron and the water canon are ready to welcome KUL newest visitor.

KS787005FltRadar_zps8f7c80d9.jpg

KS787004WaterCanonTest_zpsd899da13.jpg

Like many other spottings in KUL, one can never miss a shot where a plane 'kena tiang' of any kind. This one particularly, the big tiang has been Photoshopped while Brunei 871 was being ushered by a Follow-Me truck via Golf, Sierra 6 and Sierra 10.

KS787010TaxiInGolfS6_zpse6adc70f.jpg

KS787011TaxiS6Nose_zpscc7c235d.jpg

KS787012TaxiS10NoseAlmostGaste_zps169409

The moment were all been waiting for...

KS787013TaxiC2SideS10_zps9f8f4da2.jpg

KS787014TaxiintoC21200_zps42e6a0a3.jpg

Salute! Spray! Clap Clap Clap! Click Click Click!

KS787015WaterCanon1200_zps83e6ce36.jpg

KS787016WaterCanonCloseup1200_zps59558fa

Do bear with me the amateurish and slanting video recording of the water canon salute.

A few more close up shots.

ks787017ParkingPosition1200_zpse00b2dcf.

KS787020Fuselage1200_zps34296385.jpg

ks787019NoseGearPosition1200_zpsf6937004

KS787018GlareShieldEscape1200_zpsb319a88

ks787022Fuselage21200_zps8f051c46.jpg

KS787021EngineFront1200_zpsc5611318.jpg

KS787023Tail851_zps43311ce2.jpg

The 787 was suppose to only use the first aerobridge for door 1. However, it is parked in a way that only the second aerobridge can connect to door 2.

KS787024Front1200_zps9a192f22.jpg

Stay tuned...