MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Firefly celebrates fifth year with expansion plans and more planes and revival of jet operation

FY JETS should take over some low yield routes from KUL as originally intended . SZB must remain as prop ops ... There must b consistency here in terms of policies ..... No more yoyo n indecisive decisions if the government is truly serious in developing the nation (n of course to win the ....)

Even some off peak flights can b operated by FY instead of MH ... Where virtually no demand for premium cabins. Even so , premium economy could b offered on FY if need b .

If FY and SZB owner can convince the gomen to permit pax jet operation from SZB, pretty sure AK will crash gate the party. May be this is a reason for TF to talk to Bombardier on CS300.

FY pax are paying a premium fare for the convenience of SZB. If FY to operate jet from SZB, more pax will desert KUL and these will be mostly MH customers. Not sure MH will be benefitted at the end.

There is NO WAY SZB will be allowed to do commercial scheduled jet flights. The surrounding area is too densely populated and the residents will definitely protest.

Furthermore, too much has been invested in KLIA and KLIA2 already to do a u-turn. SZB is too small to handle volume jet flights as pax numbers will be huge compared to FY ops.

SZB developer has already published plans to build a shopping mall.

I just thinking probably KBR will selected as new other hub for FY turboprop. KBR is advantage because strategic location gateway and short distance to Indochina routes especially Myanmar and Vietnam. Maybe first quarter 2013 we can see more clearer regarding FY's planning.

There is NO WAY SZB will be allowed to do commercial scheduled jet flights. The surrounding area is too densely populated and the residents will definitely protest.

Furthermore, too much has been invested in KLIA and KLIA2 already to do a u-turn. SZB is too small to handle volume jet flights as pax numbers will be huge compared to FY ops.

SZB developer has already published plans to build a shopping mall.

Modern turbofan on C-series, CRJ or ERJ have smaller noise footprint than some of the current SZB residents or regular visitors. London has higher population density and more sensitive to noise population than Subang, Shah Alam area. If pax jet operation is regular at LCY, don’t see why SZB can’t be allowed.

Given ex-SZB FY is high yield and load, it is Ignatius Ong interest to introduce bigger aircraft and more frequency. Ignatius Ong may need to find a stronger cable than MH BOD to have his vision of FY jet operate from SZB.

There is no doubt, Gomen ban pax jet operation at SZB solely to protect KUL. However, given the cable behind subang skypark, never say never.

Given MH corporate culture, if Ignatius Ong continues to push for FY jet operation relentlessly or gone over MH BOD, it is likely that he will be transferred to MH proper.

Given MH corporate culture, if Ignatius Ong continues to push for FY jet operation relentlessly or gone over MH BOD, it is likely that he will be transferred to MH proper.

Or shown the door.

London has higher population density and more sensitive to noise population than Subang, Shah Alam area. If pax jet operation is regular at LCY, don’t see why SZB can’t be allowed.

LCY has jet curfew at night, and if the same restriction is applied in SZB, I assume it will not suit FY or any airline wanting to employ a hub model.

personally think noise doesnt really matter..coz transmile uses 727/737 for their operations..it's much more noisier than CS.. :db:

They depart at wee hours in the morning and their noise (under flight path) is very loud even miles away from the airport.

Cargo and MRO job planes do not require services of the Skypark. They also do not need apron space there. In order for airlines to provide scheduled jet services, Skypark termnial building and apron needs expansion. Govt. has no intention to do that.

Has anyone seen the traffic congestions along the road to Skypark and also the Subang Airport Highway during rush hours? Traffic will be a lot more if Skypark were to be restored to its former role. I cannot see that coming as road and rail infrastructure costs will be massive. Besides, the LRT and MRT projects are already under way, and they bypass Subang Skypark.

Edited by flee

Cargo and MRO job planes do not require services of the Skypark. They also do not need apron space there. In order for airlines to provide scheduled jet services, Skypark termnial building and apron needs expansion. Govt. has no intention to do that.

Has anyone seen the traffic congestions along the road to Skypark and also the Subang Airport Highway during rush hours? Traffic will be a lot more if Skypark were to be restored to its former role. I cannot see that coming as road and rail infrastructure costs will be massive. Besides, the LRT and MRT projects are already under way, and they bypass Subang Skypark.

we are talking about the NOISE my dear...IF THE LOUD NOISE OF THE PLANE IS THE MAIN REASON WHY JET PLANE IS PROHIBITED FROM USING THE SUBANG SKYPARK....

we are talking about the NOISE my dear...IF THE LOUD NOISE OF THE PLANE IS THE MAIN REASON WHY JET PLANE IS PROHIBITED FROM USING THE SUBANG SKYPARK....

I am well aware of that.

However, it is not just noise that affects any decision - there are loads of other factors too. If noise was the sole factor, then ALL jet flights would have been banned from SZB.

I am well aware of that.

However, it is not just noise that affects any decision - there are loads of other factors too. If noise was the sole factor, then ALL jet flights would have been banned from SZB.

that is the point, hence i used the word "IF" on my comment above...

Firefly eyes expansion between S'pore, E. Malaysia

SINGAPORE: Firefly Sdn Bhd is eyeing the possibility of

expanding its services between Singapore and Sabah and Sarawak and reinstating the flights between the city state and Terengganu.

Its chief executive officer, Ignatius Ong, said the community airline was constantly studying and reviewing its network to ensure optimal utilisation of its assets.

In certain cases, he said, existing routes may project increasing demand and vice versa.

"Subsequently, time and market demand may also encourage us to consider reinstating former routes. In such instances, we will dynamically review the routes where appropriate adjustments are made when necessary.

"We must also look into our current fleet to ensure we have the right planes with the right range to service some of our potential destinations," he told Bernama here today.

Ong said Firefly would continuously seek new and exciting destinations to ply to and most importantly those seen profitable.

"We prefer to grow organically, in line with the vision of our parent company, Malaysia Airlines (MAS)," he said.

Ong said Firefly currently provided connectivity from Singapore to Subang, Ipoh, Kuantan and Kota Baharu (its newest route).

On the new route Kota Baharu, Ong said, the airline has received relatively favourable response, "just as we forecast in the pre-mature stage during the development of this route."

"However, we are still closely monitoring the performance of this route as in any market development phase, a lot of marketing effort, strategic low pricing and efforts are expanded and we will be reviewing its long-term sustainability in the next few months," he said.

Firefly introduced four-weekly flights between Singapore and Kota Baru in August this year.

Moving forward, Ong said, the airline expected the pattern and behaviour of this route to improve further.

Firefly, a wholly-owned unit of MAS, started operations in April 2007.

Currently, it operates a fleet of 12 ATR 72-500 turboprop out of Penang and Subang, connecting secondary destinations within the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle as well as providing air linkages between Malaysia and Singapore. -- BERNAMA

SOURCE: http://www.btimes.co...icle/index_html

Many years ago (in the early 1990's), I took a MAS Fokker F50 from Kuching to KL. The flight took about 3 1/2 to 4 hours and flew from Kuching to the direction of JB and then up the peninsular to KL. I think it may be possible to use the ATR72 between Singapore and Kuching. But Singapore to KK, that's going to involve at least a couple of stops.

Landed in KLIA today, thought I saw two 737 jets in Firefly livery, though could not confirm because aircraft taxed away from these jets. Are there still some jets in this livery or is there a possibility for revival of Firefly jet operation? I would love them to be back again

Firefly eyes expansion between S'pore, E. Malaysia

SINGAPORE: Firefly Sdn Bhd is eyeing the possibility of

expanding its services between Singapore and Sabah and Sarawak and reinstating the flights between the city state and Terengganu.

SOURCE: http://www.btimes.co...icle/index_html

They will resume back TGG-SIN route even load factor quite bad last time, probably route operational we can see KBR-TGG-SIN? Really hope not only flight expansion between Sabah/Sarawak to Singapore but resume back to Kuala Lumpur.

They will resume back TGG-SIN route even load factor quite bad last time, probably route operational we can see KBR-TGG-SIN? Really hope not only flight expansion between Sabah/Sarawak to Singapore but resume back to Kuala Lumpur.

People going to Tereggnanu is because of the beach, Redang Beach, Perhentian Island, perhaps they could learn from AK to do the island transfer.

People going to Tereggnanu is because of the beach, Redang Beach, Perhentian Island, perhaps they could learn from AK to do the island transfer.

Yup, agreed. Berjaya Air took an advantage by introduce direct flight between Singapore and Redang. Probably Firefly will introduce KBR-TGG-SIN at least to cover up load factor from TGG.

Last 3 days, I used FY 3x, SZB-PEN-SZB-KBR. Day after tomorrow KBR-SZB. I do love FY!

I have yet to try FY...

Josh, next time u are back, u should get on the SZB-PEN sector. :)

I will be doing SZB-LGK for the LIMA 2013.

Sign in to follow this