MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Firefly celebrates fifth year with expansion plans and more planes and revival of jet operation

I have been a big fan of Firefly and hope that without the distinguished TF, Firefly is able to grow in whichever way its management and MAS see fit.

I would certainly love to see Embraer E175s and E190s in Firefly service. These planes are very comfortable, very nifty and very efficient. If props are still needed, then perhaps ATR-600s and/or Dash 8 Q400s ... but whatever happens, I pray that Firefly does not acquire CRJs - flew these several times in Europe and they are absolutely the most horrible planes to fly in.

Firefly certainly deserves to operate jets and please keep up with the great meals onboard.

KC Sim

I have been a big fan of Firefly and hope that without the distinguished TF, Firefly is able to grow in whichever way its management and MAS see fit.

I would certainly love to see Embraer E175s and E190s in Firefly service. These planes are very comfortable, very nifty and very efficient. If props are still needed, then perhaps ATR-600s and/or Dash 8 Q400s ... but whatever happens, I pray that Firefly does not acquire CRJs - flew these several times in Europe and they are absolutely the most horrible planes to fly in.

Firefly certainly deserves to operate jets and please keep up with the great meals onboard.

KC Sim

I know that the older CRJs are not very comfortable but I got to try out the CRJ-1000 with Air France late last year and it as really good. Definitely a step up from the previous CRJs.

I have yet to try Firefly but I'd really like to!

I think that MAS staff don't really like FY to become too successful. This may be due to FY employing staff on different terms as MH.

That is also why they are so resistant to the setting up of a premium regional airline. They are afraid that their current cosy relationship will be shattered by "non union" airlines coming on stream.

At this rate we are going, FY would be better managed than MH itself. Lolx~~~~ Embraer~! Embraer~! I don't mind CSeries also though, Isaac!

Embraer E-jets do look very good. The cabin interior looks very good too :D

Pax jet is banned from SZB to protect KUL. If pax jet is allowed to operate from SZB, traffic at KUL is almost certain will be halved.

Given Firefly jet contributed to MH masses loss previously, Firefly will only permitted to operate jets solely to undermine AK profitability.

Edited by KK Lee

Pax jet is banned from SZB to protect KUL. If pax jet is allowed to operate from SZB, traffic at KUL is almost certain will be halved.

Given Firefly jet contributed to MH masses loss previously, Firefly will only permitted to operate jets solely to undermine AK profitability.

A jet product from MAS, barely one year old into operation and carried a very good load, who said anything about their operational losses? Funny, i only know FY jets made loss from the fat bangla mouth after the share suap announcement. And quick kill followed after that.

A jet product from MAS, barely one year old into operation and carried a very good load, who said anything about their operational losses? Funny, i only know FY jets made loss from the fat bangla mouth after the share suap announcement. And quick kill followed after that.

I think there is a fine line in making your point and inciting racism in your post. I am deeply offended by your statement. Tan Sri Tony Fernandes is born Malaysian. Stop your racism insults! Hopefully the moderator will ban such individual from our forum.

Edited by JuliusWong

FY jet may not seem to make operational losses but for certain that FY jet was decimating MH load and yield and increased overhead. Hence, huge losses for MH.

For your reading pleasure;

http://ir.chartnexus.com/mas/flash/ar2011/index.html

Malaysia Airlines turboprop operator Firefly is keen to be a launch customer for ATR's potential 90-seat turboprop, still under analysis, and is in talks with the manufacturer.

While the proposed aircraft has yet to emerge as a formal project, ATR partner Finmeccanica indicated earlier this year that there was increasing interest in a such a programme and that discussions were taking place between the airframer's shareholders.

Firefly operates a dozen ATR 72s, but chief executive Ignatius Ong says: "The larger aircraft will also allow us to add capacity without adding frequency, which is good for services to destinations [such as] Singapore, where slots are limited."

He adds that the carrier would "need to make an order within the next two to three years".

While ATR partner EADS has played down the chances of approving a new type this year, Finmeccanica has hinted that the companies could nevertheless provide greater clarity on the strategy. ATR says it can disclose "nothing new" about the possible 90-seat project.

Firefly has also suggested that it could revive plans to bring jets back to its fleet. Ong says the carrier will definitely consider returning to jet operations but is working with Malaysia Airlines to decide on the best strategy for the whole group.

The airline briefly operated Boeing 737s, but Malaysia Airlines took over last year as part of a plan to realign the group's businesses.

There have also been talks to convert Firefly, which operates from bases in Subang and Penang, into a true low-cost carrier to take on competition in the market segment, but any decision will only be made after Malaysia Airlines returns to profitability, says Ong.

http://www.flightglo...rboprop-375752/

Edited by alberttky

There have also been talks to convert Firefly, which operates from bases in Subang and Penang, into a true low-cost carrier to take on competition in the market segment, but any decision will only be made after Malaysia Airlines returns to profitability, says Ong.

Oh that is loud and clear then, Firefly will NOT take on the competition :p

.... No balls to compete ?

Last time they did - they were blamed for contributing to the loss at the parent company. Now when they say they'll wait for profitability in the group before contemplating coming back into the LCC arena, they have no balls?

Typical.

Hahas!! Bukan no balls, better don't jump into jet operation again. MH Group will go bankrupt...The whole drama will be re-broadcast to whole world~~~

Just being realistic.

They will need massive resources, as they need scale to make business sense. Otherwise, they will bleed MH to death!

MH Group will go bankrupt...

So not going to happen in real life (as long as there is Petronas, KWSP, unions etc still about ....... ) :)

...The whole drama will be re-broadcast to whole world~~~

Been there, done that - I think it's like opportunity for free publicity already nowadays

Face it, if a company could have reported bleeding the number of billions as MH has had over the years, and still be around to yet again "re-broadcast" caution on another quarter's poor results, no drama queen can ever hope to top that :D

Edited by BC Tam

Firefly in talks to buy new planes

KUALA LUMPUR: Firefly is negotiating with several aircraft manufacturers to buy new planes to fuel the community airlines’ robust expansion plans two years from now, chief executive officer Ignatius Ong said.

He said the airline was keeping its options open on the range of the aircraft, which might be bigger in size from the turboprops the airline was currently using.

“If Firefly buys bigger aeroplanes, the community airline can shift its focus to medium-haul routes from the current short-haul destinations,” he told reporters at Firefly’s Hari Raya open house here yesterday.

Currently, Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) operates 12 turboprops, all have been 80% utilised.

“We are aiming for brand new planes.

“On the number of aircraft to be acquired, it all depends on the manufacturers and what the market has to offer.

“We are talking to the manufacturers to know the slots they have for aircraft delivery, and then we have to bring back the proposals to MAS’ board,” Ong added. — Bernama

Talking to manufacturer? Available delivery slots? Fy moving away from previous B737 maybe?

Firefly may revive jet ops next year

GEORGE TOWN: Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS), is believed to be returning to its jet operations as early as next year.

It had to abandon its money-making routes to Sabah and Sarawak following the nowaborted MAS-AirAsia strategic collaboration

exercise.

Business Times has learnt that Firefly is considering Canadian aircraft maker Bombardier Aerospace as a potential aircraft supplier to diversify from its current fleet of French-

Italian-made turbo-propeller planes ATR.

“It is not known if Firefly will reinstate the East Malaysia routes, but other routes being considered when the community airline expands into jets are Myanmar and Vietnam,” aviation sources said.

Responding to Business Times’ query, MAS Sdn Bhd (formerly known as FlyFirely Sdn Bhd) chief executive officer Ignatius Ong said:

“We are looking at all turboprop options on the table which can cater to our existing network for increases in frequencies, as well as a longer range within Asean to give us more potential destinations.

“I will not focus on any specific manufacturer for now until we are more finalised in our approach,” he added.

MAS had, since early 2011, used Firefly to compete against AirAsia by launching competitively-priced flights from Kuala Lumpur to Sabah and Sarawak.

In October last year, the national carrier said the Boeing 737-800 aircraft operated by Firefly will be redeployed into the parent company’s operations, effective December 4 2011.

MAS had, at the time, cited heavy losses being incurred by Firefly’s jet operations, although the community airline’s financials such as profit and loss statements have never

been disclosed by the parent company.

Bombardier has been in the aerospace industry for 25 years and is touted as the world’s third largest civil aircraft manufacturer.

In recent years, the aircraft maker has won more new contracts around the world after it moved beyond the production of executive jets and entered the regional jet market.

SOURCE: http://www.btimes.co...icle/index_html

“It is not known if Firefly will reinstate the East Malaysia routes, but other routes being considered when the community airline expands into jets are Myanmar and Vietnam,” aviation sources said.

Responding to Business Times’ query, MAS Sdn Bhd (formerly known as FlyFirely Sdn Bhd) chief executive officer Ignatius Ong said:

Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) one of destination maybe? :D

If FY and SZB owner can convince the gomen to permit pax jet operation from SZB, pretty sure AK will crash gate the party. May be this is a reason for TF to talk to Bombardier on CS300.

FY pax are paying a premium fare for the convenience of SZB. If FY to operate jet from SZB, more pax will desert KUL and these will be mostly MH customers. Not sure MH will be benefitted at the end.

Edited by KK Lee

With the JV airline from Lion Air coming into pictures, let see whether MH group would like to "re-tap" into the LCC markets again or not....but for sure, KUL would be the operating airport, I doubt SZB would be granted by the government for jets operations....

Sign in to follow this