MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Firefly celebrates fifth year with expansion plans and more planes and revival of jet operation

Firefly breathes fire again with new flights

FIREFLY will launch four weekly services between Kota Bharu and Singapore and re-introduce three weekly flights between Penang and Koh Samui which were suspended in 2009.

The flights will start from August 10. Three weekly services between Subang and Hat Yai will also be launched on August 17.

Firefly will be the only airline to provide air links between these destinations.

PYO Travel, senior manager, sales, distribution & global support, John Chan, said: “It opens up opportunities to tourism players in these destinations and allows them to tap the Gen X and Gen Y segments with money to travel and are looking for short breaks to distract them from work and daily pressures."

The new services and increased frequencies on certain high traffic routes are designed to maximise its 12 ATR72-500 aircraft utilisation.

Effective August 10, Firefly will add one service on Sunday between Subang and Pekanbaru in Indonesia, bringing the weekly number of services to four. Services between Singapore and Kuantan will be increased to daily, from four weekly services.

To make way for the new services between Kota Bharu and Singapore and the increase in frequencies between Singapore and Kuantan, Firefly will reduce its weekly services between Subang and Singapore from 49 to 42 weekly services as it does not have additional traffic rights.

Source : http://ttgasia.com/a...article_id=3947

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Firefly targets tourists with new routes

Firefly is targeting foreign tourists for its two new routes, Kota Bharu-Singapore and Penang-Koh Samui beginning this

August 10 and 11, its Head of Marketing & Communications Angelina Fernandez said.

In a statement here today, she said they are expecting tourists from the Middle-East, Japan, South Korea and India, who largely choose Penang as their preferred holiday destination during intense seasons in their respective homelands.

Fernandez said islands are seen to be the demand for these markets, hence creating an access to Koh Samui via Penang will be most ideal for these travellers who are keen to explore spectacular beaches in the region.

Apart from that, the airline will also restart its Subang-Hat Yai route on August 17.

The Kota Bharu-Singapore and Subang-Hat Yai routes will have flights every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and flights to Penang-Koh Samui will be on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Firefly is offering special airfares price from RM99 (one way) for the Kota Bharu-Singapore and Subang-Hat Yai routes and RM199 (one way) for Penang-Koh Samui route.

These promotional rates are for bookings made from July 2 until July 15 for travel starting from their respective commencement dates to March 30 next year. -- Bernama

Read more: Firefly targets tourists with new routes http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20120702211017/Article/index_html#ixzz1zWuLJaHK

Any chance for : IPH - JHB, IPH - KBR and maybe SZB - KCH ?

I think for SZB-KCH its impossible but for IPH-KBR maybe. Don't be surprised if they will operate KBR to Sumatera or South of Thai soon and I'm really hope they will fly to Vietnam as well.

SZB-KCH is only ~1000km one-way...I'm pretty sure an ATR-72 or Q400 can do it with a full load albeit a bit slower than a jet. For sure the old F50s and ATR72s of MASWings fly over to SZB for maintenance.

SZB-KCH is only ~1000km one-way...I'm pretty sure an ATR-72 or Q400 can do it with a full load albeit a bit slower than a jet. For sure the old F50s and ATR72s of MASWings fly over to SZB for maintenance.

Yup, agreed ATR72 can fly within Peninsular to Sabah/Sarawak but for FY introduce SZB-KCH or reinstate any routes back to Sabah/Sarawak it impossible at the moment but for MASwings expand their route fly to Peninsular probably we can see soon. Just my opinion.

Yup, agreed ATR72 can fly within Peninsular to Sabah/Sarawak but for FY introduce SZB-KCH or reinstate any routes back to Sabah/Sarawak it impossible at the moment but for MASwings expand their route fly to Peninsular probably we can see soon. Just my opinion.

Heehee...a SZB-KCH v.v. routing will be one of the more interesting domestic routes in a long time! Imagine the possibilities :)

While disembarking from the flight KBR-SZB this afternoon, I overheard someone telling his buddy saying FY will start KBR-MES this October. Any idea is this is true?

While disembarking from the flight KBR-SZB this afternoon, I overheard someone telling his buddy saying FY will start KBR-MES this October. Any idea is this is true?

Who's know in future but I'll update if got final confirmation.

Official announcement on FY's social media FB, daily flight KBR-JHB effective 10 Aug 2012

174645_52630456510_73920_q.jpg

Firefly Airlines

46 minutes ago

From 10 Aug '12, we'll offer daily flights btwn Kota Bharu & Johor Bahru! We hope you'll take advantage of the added flights to plan your holiday travel soon.

Just curious, starting 2012 FlyFirefly Sdn. Bhd now changed and registered as MAS Sdn Bhd?

Principal Office MAS Sdn Bhd (346606-K) formerly known as FlyFirefly Sdn. Bhd,

3rd Floor, Admin Building 1,

Complex A, Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport,

47200 Subang, Selangor, Malaysia.

Company Profile

Getting to know Firefly

Launched on April 3, 2007, Firefly, your community airline, is operated by MAS Sdn Bhd (346606-K) formerly known as FlyFirefly Sdn. Bhd, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysian Airline System Berhad. Operating out of the Penang and Subang hubs, Firefly provides connections to various points within Malaysia, Southern Thailand, Singapore and Sumatera of Indonesia, aligning itself with the Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT) agenda.

Source : http://firefly.com.my/about/company-profile

Other than the company name change, nothing much has changed at FY. It is still a private company - so we don't know what it is really doing as they don't publish any operating or financial information.

Probably to prepare for the now-aborted MAS short haul?

What I heard FY will running as independent and their start send planes to SAE for repairing.

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

What I heard FY will running as independent and their start send planes to SAE for repairing.

Is it because MAE insists to charge 'market' rate of US$80 per man hour?

FY engineering had already gone independent since early January this year.

GEORGE TOWN: FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd will buy a new range of aircraft to replace its existing range as part of its business expansion plan over the next five to eight years.

Chief executive officer Ignatius Ong said the company planned to replace the current fleet of 12 ATR 72-500 planes with new generation of fuel-fficient and low carbon footprint aircraft.

“These could be new generation of ATR 72-500 aircraft or some other models,” Ong said at the launch of the three-times-per-week flight from Penang to Koh Samui by Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng on Saturday.

Also present was Malaysia Airports senior general manager (operations) Datuk Azmi Murad.

Ong said the company planned to add a couple more ATR 72-500 aircraft in two to five years.

“We are now talking to the French manufacturer of ATR 72-500,” he said.

The present price of an ATR 72-500 aircraft is around US$20mil.

Ong also said the company was now monitoring the rise in fuel price. “If it continues to go up, we will have to increase fuel

surcharges, which will have an impact on the price of air tickets,” he said.

The current jet fuel price is around US$125 per barrel, compared with about US$105 per barrel two months ago.

Ong said the commencement of the weekly flights to Koh Samui from Penang was due to the economic growth in Penang in the past two years.

“The Penang-Koh Samui flights started in 2007 but was discontinued a year later due to plan to rationalise the company’s aircraft network.

“Our target is to achieve a 85% flight load factor on this route,” he said.

Meanwhile, Lim said the resumption of this route would open the gates to international travellers, business and industrial-related tourists from the local community and expatriates of southern Thailand to Penang.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/8/14/business/11844558&sec=business

Hmmm, interesting.

In terms of operating economics and carbon footprint, the only thing in the same category as the ATR-72-500 that beats it, is the -600.

i wonder if they considering small jet like E170. it would be perfect for longer flight out of subang

TF wouldn't be too happy if FY were to allowed to operate jets out of SZB, especially since they failed to make SZB their hub...

Sign in to follow this