MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Singapore Airshow 2012

KC & Kiang Hong!!

Stunning shots!! Love them all. You know the right angles. My sincere gratitude for sharing with us here!

Wow..fantastic shots, guys! Seems the MRTT already have scratches on the paintwork already, I saw the same airframe when I passed Airbus Getafe plant last December.

Very nice kianhong! :clapping:

The 787 interior shots are exquisite! I wonder how many airlines will go for the 3-3-3 config.

Hope the weather holds out till the weekend!

Singapore Airlines is retiring its Boeing 747-400s and only three of these are currently left in the fleet. The oldest of the trio is 9V-SPJ still wearing SIA's old livery ... while 9V-SPP is in the previous Star Alliance livery which is unique to SIA. For the Singapore Airshow 2012, the honour of representing the airline falls squarely on 9V-SPQ, the last B747-400 delivered to SIA. She was flown today (16 Feb) on the shortest flight of her career from Changi Airport's runway 02C and after three turns to the starboard side, she was on final approach onto runway 02R.

Once she has landed and taxied out to the taxyway, she was towed to a spot near to the road leading to the Changi Exhibition Centre. Here, she was given a thorough security sweep ... as the static aircraft display area (SADA) was previously sanitised before the show's opening.

Below are some shots from the time she was towed along the final stretch of the road to SADA and pushed into her final position where she will remain until the public day closes on Sunday.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-16-01VBr-TOW.jpg

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-16-06Cr-TOW.jpg

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-16-08Br-TOW.jpg

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-16-23Br-PUS.jpg

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-16-31VBr-PUS.jpg

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-16-32Cr-PUS.jpg

On Saturday and Sunday, lucky members of the public will receive a special boarding pass to board this aircraft whose cabin has been transformed into an exhihition hall featuring highlights of the B747's service with SIA over 38 years from 1 october 1973. For this occasion, the aircraft's white paint has been refreshed with a new coat and she looks absolutely stunning - almost as if it is factory-fresh. A downpour prior to its arrival at the show site today turned out into a blessing as it made possible reflections and interesting effect when the anti-collision lights blinked.

KC Sim

At least 50,000 thronged the Singapore Airshow 2012 today - the first of two public days - and clearly many were disappointed that one of the show's most talked-about stars, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner was nowhere to be seen. And when it was announced at 1100hrs that the missing star was going to make a fly-by, gasps of positive surprise was clearly audible from where I was standing on the balcony of the exhibition hall. Immediately after taking off from Changi Airport, N787BX made a turn to starboard and headed towards the show site and the excited crowd.

mw-N787BA-2012-02-18-03Vr-Boeing-B788-BiddingFarewell.jpg

As it passed in front of the shore line, Dreamliner ZA003 waved to the delighted crowd which marvelled at the Dreamliner's graceful lines with "oooooooooohs" and "aaaaaaaaaaaaaahs".

mw-N787BA-2012-02-18-01Cr-Boeing-B788-BiddingFarewell.jpg

The Dreamliner "waved" to the crowd by rocking its wings one way and the other several times ... drawing even more appreciative responses. And with one final wave to port, it bade farewell and headed straight across the Pacific Ocean for cold, probably dismal and wintry Seattle. Onboard were most of the Boeing officials who were probably tired from more than a week on the third leg of the DREAMTOUR 2011.2012.

mw-N787BA-2012-02-18-02Cr-Boeing-B788-BiddingFarewell.jpg

The other star of the Singapore Airshow 2012 - the Royal Malaysian Air Force's MIG-29N "Smokey Bandits" - provided plenty of excitement each day ... opening its display each day with a formation flypast.

mw-RMAF-SmokeyBandits-2012-02-18-01Vr.jpg

"Smokey 5" put in a high-energy solo performance with lots of smoke to justify its callsign.

mw-RMAF-SmokeyBandits-2012-02-18-03Cr.jpg

While Lockheed Martin's F-35 Lightning II remained nothing more than an empty shell after "participating" at the Singapore Airshow on three occasions over six years, a four-ship formation of MIG-29Ns approached at low speed with undercarriages extended and landing lights ablaze.

mw-RMAF-SmokeyBandits-2012-02-18-02Vr.jpg

"Smokey 5" sliced through the humid air in all directions with plenty of roar ... often with a "cushion" of condensation for added effect.

mw-M43-10-2012-02-18-01Cr-RMAF-MIG29N-SmokeyBandits-FlyingDisplay.jpg

Early visitors to the show today also were treated to a close-up view of Maju Holding's EC-135 9M-ABU lifting off from the fringe of the static aircraft display area.

mw-9M-ABU-2012-02-18-01Cr-MajuHoldings-EC135-TOP.jpg

Another Malaysian helicopter - Sabah Air's EC-135 9M-CMD - remain on the increasingly empty show site.

mw-9M-CMD-2012-02-18-01Cr-SabahAir-EC145-RMP.jpg

Today's show was unique for the fact that it opened and closed with fly-bys ... with the US Air Force deploying Boeing B-52G 0033 flying in from Guam.

mw-0033-2012-02-18-01Cr-USAF-B52-Flypast.jpg

Later in the day - after I have departed from the extremely crowded show site - I was told that the Boeing C-17 was towed to the static aircraft display area. What a treat ... this calls for a return visit to the show tomorrow, the final public day.

KC Sim

KC, cheers for that 744 special shots. It looks like brand new! Hope someone can board and share with us here the cabin exhibits.

T Azahan : Your wish is my command!

SIA staff spent much of the evening and night of 16 Feb cleaning and readying the cabin of the airline's final B747-400 in service for the cabin exhibition that is to take place from 17-19 February 2012 during the Singapore Airshow. To celebrate and pay tribute to the four versions of the Boeing 747s that have served SIA and her customers so well, SIA will operate a commemorative flight from Singapore to Hong Kong (SQ747) and from Hong Kong to Singapore (SQ748) on 6 April 2012.

The following images shows the exhibition that took place in the cabin of 9V-SPQ ... beginning with a familiar sight when one boards an SIA flight - your seat with the SIA branding on the headrest cover.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-13Cr-CabinExhibition.jpg

For me, a window seat - especially on a daylight flight - is a must ...

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-12Vr-CabinExhibition-SeatFabric.jpg

For now, the cabin is transformed into a temporary exhibition hall ... what a lovely idea and yet another great excuse to visit the B747's cabin.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-03Cr-CabinExhibition.jpg

Most of the exhibition items lined the right-side aisle ... hanging from the cabin ceiling ...

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-02Cr-CabinExhibition.jpg

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-10Cr-CabinExhibition.jpg

... or placed on the seatback table.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-01Cr-CabinExhibition.jpg

This plaque was presented by the Boeing Company to SIA on the occasion of the delivery of 9V-SMU, the 1000th Boeing 747 that came off the production lines.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-04Cr-CabinExhibition-1000thB747.jpg

The car bumper plate celebrates the inauguration of services from Singapore to Los Angeles.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-09Cr-CabinExhibition-BumperPlate.jpg

Other memorabilia produced included those commemorating the arrivals of the Boeing 747-300 (BIGTOP) and Boeing 747-400 (MEGATOP).

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-08Cr-CabinExhibition-BigtopToteBag.jpg

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-07Cr-CabinExhibition-MegatopTshirt.jpg

Also helping to serve up a glimpse of the past are servicewares of yesteryears.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-06Cr-CabinExhibition-Servicewares.jpg

In the first class cabin at the nose of the B747-400 are crystalwares and a wax mannequin of a Singapore Girl produced and previously exhibited at Madame Tussaud's.

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-05Cr-CabinExhibition-Crystalwares.jpg

As is the long tradition of SIA ... no exhibition is complete without a bevy of Pierre Balmain-designed sarong kebaya-clad Singapore Girls ... the flesh and bone variety (not wax mannequins).

mw-9V-SPQ-2012-02-17-11Vr-CabinExhibition-CabinAttendants.jpg

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

Was at the airshow yesterday. Just to share some shots taken.

DSC_0007MW.jpg

DSC_0029MW.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

B747 or A380?

DSC_0081.jpg

You will be missed! :cray:

DSC_0052.jpg

Quite fortunate to be able to get these boarding passes.

DSC_0123mw.jpg

DSC_0409mw.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

Belly shot.

TBC.

Edited by Keith Ng

Wonderful coverage guys - we are slowly building up a nice record of the airshow here! A little disappointed that I missed out on the SQ B747 visit by about 10 persons. Nevertheless, thanks to KC for sharing, I did not miss it afterall... :)

"Smokey Bandits" painting the skies black!

591600.jpg

Surprise of Saturday morning, Boeing's gorgeous B787-8

591599.jpg

Good coverage there Keith Ng & Flee. Do show more when you have the time to edit.

BTW, no close up shots of Jacky Chan's new toy from all ?

Good coverage there Keith Ng & Flee. Do show more when you have the time to edit.

Thanks. When I was there on Saturday, his new toy wasn't there. :angry2:

Thanks. When I was there on Saturday, his new toy wasn't there. :angry2:

Got it on 18th February 2012, Took off around 10:30am :cray:

IMG_9209.jpg

Thanks Chaity!

Michael has come to the rescue. No wonder we did not see it in the grounds - it was already preparing to leave... ;)

The welcome was both at the landside and seaside! I think these may also serve as a marker for the pilots to target the flying display centreline.

592120.jpg

Changi Airport's impressive model collection. ;)

592117.jpg

Inside the RAAF's C-130J

592118.jpg

The US Air Force and US Navy were big supporters of the show. Here we see the P6

592119.jpg

I looked high and low forJackie Chan's toy but all I saw was this:

592116.jpg

Finally, one last look at this beauty again

592121.jpg

The Singapore Air Show 2012 had its highlights but it was a rather tame show for public day visitors. The flying display pilots did their best to thrill and entertain - well done guys! :clapping:

Although the public transport arrangements were great (far better than those of the 2011 Paris Air Show that I also attended), I could not help feeling that the show was thin on exhibits. Many aircraft also left the show before the public days. Lets hope that the 2014 show will be better.