MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Cire

Steward attacked by elderly during flight..

HONG KONG - A Cathay Pacific steward was attacked by an elderly passenger who tried to barge into the plane's cockpit during the flight.

The cabin crew, a Taiwanese, was hit repeatedly by the 83-year-old man with a walking cane until it broke.

The unruly passenger had to be restrained with the help of other crew members. The injured steward suffered head trauma and vomiting, and had to be stretchered off the plane when it landed in Australia.

According to Hong Kong news reports, the incident took place on Jan 26 on flight CX 105, which left Hong Kong at 11.43pm for Adelaide. The plane was carrying 258 passengers.

Reports said the elderly passenger was seen behaving strangely after the in-flight meal. He took hold of his luggage and requested to disembark during the flight. Later, he attempted to barge into the cockpit.

He was placed under arrest after the plane landed in Adelaide.

Eyewitnesses interviewed by an Australian news channel said they did not see the fracas taking place, but they were alarmed by the cabin crew dashing down the aisle to the front of the plane.

One passenger said he heard a stewardess shouting "Echo! Echo!" over the intercom, which is believed to be the airline's codeword for alerting the captain to an emergency situation of someone trying to enter the cockpit.

-AsiaOne

An anxiety attack suddenly for the elderly man?

"Reports said the elderly passenger was seen behaving strangely after the in-flight meal. He took hold of his luggage and requested to disembark during the flight. Later, he attempted to barge into the cockpit."

A nut-case?

I've been stranded at AUH for the past seven hours with no indication as to when we can escape

Don't no one tempt me with a walking stick !!

I've been stranded at AUH for the past seven hours with no indication as to when we can escape

Don't no one tempt me with a walking stick !!

7 hours!? What happened?

Back to topic, since it apparently happened after meal service, could his behaviour be traced back to that meal? A glass of wine too much perhaps?

He probably had a stroke, you know. Sudden changes in mental state in the elderly would make me highly suspicious of someone having a stroke. I would have sedated him.

It does not have to be a stroke. Any illness including a urinary tract infection or chest infection or even more serious things like stroke, bowel ischaemia and heart conditions can make the elderly confused. They can get quite aggressive sometimes and are surprisingly strong!

7 hours!? What happened?

13 hours now, and counting !

Runway closed due to fog early this morning. Looks very clear now, but they apparently are unable to assemble a new set of crew for us !

Yeah, better get back on topic :)

13 hours now, and counting !

Runway closed due to fog early this morning. Looks very clear now, but they apparently are unable to assemble a new set of crew for us !

Yeah, better get back on topic :)

May be EY should put you up in hotel for tomorrow's morning flight.

It does not have to be a stroke. Any illness including a urinary tract infection or chest infection or even more serious things like stroke, bowel ischaemia and heart conditions can make the elderly confused. They can get quite aggressive sometimes and are surprisingly strong!

Well, yes. I was just using stroke as an example to explain his sudden change in behaviour. He was probably delirious. Anyway, I agree that these oldies can be surprisingly strong when they're confused and agitated! Watch out for the walking stick!

I wondered what would next to be banned... walking sticks?? A lethal weapon ! don't play play.. One poke in the eye, can kill..hahaha

Sign in to follow this