MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mushrif A

Connecting to AK at SIN

Was wondering if any of you guys know the answer to this query as the AK website doesn't specifically address this and the customer care service was clueless.

Say I arrive on a legacy carrier into SIN (hence am already airside) and connecting to an AK flight to KUL (because there isnt anymore legacy carrier flights to KUL that day) with only cabin baggage. If I have done online check-in (OLCI) for AK, I would have the boarding pass with me.

(Those familiar with the SIN terminal layout will know that there is no separation of arriving and departing pax and security is done at the holding gate)

Can I just proceed straight to the AK departure gate at T1? The AK website suggests that those doing OLCI & having no check-in luggage needs to stop by the counter for document verification. If I'm already airside & would like to avoid going landside given time constraints - can the document verification be done at the gate or will AK treat me as a no-show?

Was wondering if any of you guys know the answer to this query as the AK website doesn't specifically address this and the customer care service was clueless.

Say I arrive on a legacy carrier into SIN (hence am already airside) and connecting to an AK flight to KUL (because there isnt anymore legacy carrier flights to KUL that day) with only cabin baggage. If I have done online check-in (OLCI) for AK, I would have the boarding pass with me.

(Those familiar with the SIN terminal layout will know that there is no separation of arriving and departing pax and security is done at the holding gate)

Can I just proceed straight to the AK departure gate at T1? The AK website suggests that those doing OLCI & having no check-in luggage needs to stop by the counter for document verification. If I'm already airside & would like to avoid going landside given time constraints - can the document verification be done at the gate or will AK treat me as a no-show?

Though I don't have the answer, I'd give it a try if I were you. Please share your experience with us after! ;)

In '09, I did KUL-(AK)-SIN-(JQ)-DRW. Did doc checks for both AK/JQ airside - got counters.

In '09, I did KUL-(AK)-SIN-(JQ)-DRW. Did doc checks for both AK/JQ airside - got counters.

Thanks. But that was probably before the T1 refurbishment. Did you also mean you did doc checks on the return leg on AK SIN-KUL airside? Do you know where these counters were? The usual row of transfer desks at C & D piers?

Though I don't have the answer, I'd give it a try if I were you. Please share your experience with us after! ;)

I wouldnt like to take the risk to explore, if I could help it. If I were to go landside just to do a doc check, I'd rather take the risk to go to the budget terminal and take the last FY flight into SZB (having no checked luggage and having done OLCI, printed BP in hand). At least I wouldnt land in the boondocks (aka LCCT) close to midnight when I need to get closer to civilisation.

The thing is I'm just short by 10 miserable minutes (for a legal min. connecting time) to catch the last MH flight SIN-KUL on the same thru-ticket. Which makes me now think - if I buy that MH ticket SIN-KUL as a separate fare, do OLCI and printout the BP - will MH allow me to just show up at the gate? As the gates at SIN closes 10mins before departure, I should be able to make it to the gate with some minutes to spare (barring any delays of the incoming flight, but just ignore this possibility). The MH transfer counter at pier E area would have closed 45mins before STD and I know the MH e-BP says the same stuff on having docs verified etc etc at the counter. Anybody experience this on MH at SIN?

(On the same note, why cant any legacy carrier operate SIN-KUL with a STD of after 10pm? We have MH doing a 2245 departure the other way around on a daily basis. I'm sure there are folks that would go on a post-2130 departure SIN-KUL, especially on a Friday night)

I have submitted the query and have got a live person to respond to it, but from the sound of it - the person has no idea what is airside/ landside. Hence, the answer wasnt useful. Probably somebody on AK's Changi airport pax operations would be best to answer this but there are so many layers of gatekeepers.

They probably don't have the answer so the convenient answer is go out to landside.

They dont but their colleagues at SIN airport ops most probably do. If I have to go landside, my money goes to FY.

This is a no can do. Having a boarding pass without the security stamp (which you can only get landside) doesn't work. Asked many times on-site.

Yup, no go. & as I had to go landside, my money went to FY. Had relatively lots of time to change to Budget terminal as weather was fine at Changi. Why bother to take AK just to land in the boondocks at the other end late at night? SZB won hands down.

This is a no can do. Having a boarding pass without the security stamp (which you can only get landside) doesn't work. Asked many times on-site.

How is it that legacy carriers can do it? I mean if you transfer SQ to SQ it is ok without the security stamp, but for AK, you cannot?

How is it that legacy carriers can do it? I mean if you transfer SQ to SQ it is ok without the security stamp, but for AK, you cannot?

AK doesn't pay CAAS or any other ground handling agent to handle transfers airside for them.

AK doesn't pay CAAS or any other ground handling agent to handle transfers airside for them.

But I do wonder why AK cannot do the document verification and do stamping etc at the boarding gate? I'm sure there's a market to justify this. What incremental cost is there?

I think AK wants to keep things simple. Simplicity reduces cost.

That doesnt answer the question. So, no staff at the gate? After security scan, one is free to board the plane at will?

Sign in to follow this