MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

Penang Airport Upgrading Project

As a foreigner, something that intrigues me is that we arrive at the now very impressive modern Penang terminal but are forced to use a very run-down, old, dirty and often unsafe fleet of taxis. VERY third-world and probably one of the worst fleets I have seen in SE Asia. On my last arrival I walked up the line of taxis dismissing the first five in the line with bald tires, run down poorly maintained appearance, and dirty untidy looking drivers. The taxi I eventually was forced to use was not so impressive, and the driver was a maniac on the road and became argumentative when I asked him to slow down. Of course as a passenger we don't have much leverage as we have already paid.

I look forward to the day when the standard of airport taxis in Penang match that of the new terminal. Until then, it remains very third-world.

As someone who frequented PEN for more than 3 years, I personally considered all the airport taxis (white coloured ones) there to be in satisfying condition. I am not sure how run down it can be, perhaps you encountered one bad apple among the good ones? :) I do agree with you with the way drivers behave, because Penang drivers are quite well known for being reckless on the road (no offense to Penangites here).

Woman hurt as ceiling at airport falls

GEORGE TOWN: A portion of the plaster ceiling near the ticketing office at the Penang International Airport collapsed yesterday morning following a continuous downpour.

image.jpg

The gaping hole in the ceiling after a pipe burst and broke through the ceiling near the ticketing office of the Penang International Airport yesterday. Pic by Michael Ong

In the 8am incident, a female customer service staff member sustained minor head and chin injuries when the falling debris hit her as she was walking below.

The woman, known as Lidiyawati, an employee with Kuala Lumpur Airport Services (KLAS), was taken to Penang Hospital where she received outpatient treatment.

The ceiling gave way near the KLAS office at the departure hall's common area, leaving a big hole.

The KLAS office was temporarily flooded, with the furniture getting wet. Passengers were seen avoiding the slippery floor.

Airport senior manager Mohd Arif Jaafar said excessive rainwater flowing through a pipe mounted above the ceiling had burst.

"A section of the pipe gave way and fell through the ceiling, causing the rainwater and debris to come down.

"About 50 airport staff and cleaners were deployed to clean up the debris and mop the floor," he said, adding that the clean-up exercise took less than an hour.

Arif said airport workers dismantled the ceiling near the hole and remedial work was being carried out.

He said no flights were disrupted and airport operations went on as usual.

The airport is undergoing major renovations costing RM250 million. They will be completed soon.

Source : http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/woman-hurt-as-ceiling-at-airport-falls-1.157567

Penang airport likely to welcome 3 more carriers
By Marina Emmanuel Published: 2012/11/30
http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...#ixzz2Dkw1abPq

GEORGE TOWN: The Penang International Airport is likely to see at least three new airlines flying in from next year.

Malaysia Airports Bhd senior general manager Datuk Azmi Murad yesterday said one of the airlines is likely to include the recently-launched low-cost airline Malindo Airways.

He did name the other two carriers. There are currently 14 passenger and 10 cargo airlines respectively using the international airport.

"With the completion of the upgrading work to the airport by the end of this year, we are expecting a very good 2013 for our Penang operations," he said during a media walkabout of the airport in Bayan Lepas.

He said the retail components of the airport should be fully operational by the end of January and names like WH Smith, Starbucks, Victoria Secret and Dunkin Donuts are some of the confirmed tenants.

The upgrading project was initially tagged at RM250 million and meant to be completed by June this year. Azmi did not reveal if there are any cost over-runs for the project.

He expressed optimism that a soon-to-be-launched charter flight incentive programme for the Penang airport will see more international arrivals.

The proposed programme which is aimed at increasing tourist arrivals into the state, is being developed by the Northern Corridor Implementation Authority (NCIA) with a plan of zooming into segments like healthcare travel and business tourism.

For the first ten months of this year, the airport welcomed 3.9 million travellers.

"We hope to end the year with a total of 4.7 million arrivals and looking at a potential growth of three per cent in 2013," Azmi noted.

He said the expanded facilities at the airport have already resulted in new freighters such as Cathay Pacific Cargo's new Boeing 747-800 planes landing in Penang.

"We are mindful of the needs of Penang investors and logistics companies in shipping out high value goods and will continue to provide the necessary infrastructure for our cargo stronghold here, based on customer needs."

He said construction works currently stood at 99 per cent completed and that all security and safety precautions required by international aviation rules had been adhered to in both the airside and landside areas of the airport.

A Premium Plaza Lounge which is a pay-in transit lounge offering snacks, drinks, shower and Internet facilities is already in operation.

"Other lounges expected to open soon will be those operated by Malaysia Airlines and Cathay Pacific," said Azmi, "and we are open to letting out space to any hotels who wish to set up passenger lounges at the airport," he added.

by http://https://foursquare.com/2pogi4u
1903017_m278luNJmTVW79DxMeI75fp2tgb9GUTD

1903017_GYnjNbab1zH9EZXBl3XjL_fRcgV_8w3S

The other 2 carriers probably Garuda Indonesia (they plan to fly MES-PEN with their spanking brand new CRJ1000NG) and Berjaya Air (SZB-PEN). Other prospective users probably Batavia Air, Cebu Pacific & Thai Smile.

The latter three, for me Cebu Pacific is highly unlikely. No sizeable Filipino community in Penang to justify the flight.

Filipinio tourists to Penang or Penangite tourists to Phillippines

Penang airport expansion project extended another month

GEORGE TOWN, Dec 10 — The RM250 million Penang International Airport expansion project will only be completed by December 31.
Malaysia Airport Holdings Berhad (MAHB) has given the contractor a third extension to complete the project, which includes upgrading of the airport facilities and infrastructure. It was scheduled to be completed by November 30.
However, the contractor was unable to meet the deadline and was given a month’s extension, said Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng after a visit to the airport today.
“This is the third time they have been given an extension of time,” he told reporters.
Lim was briefed on the progress of work by MAHB senior general manager (Operations Services) Datuk Azli Murad.
Lim said Azli told him the project was 99 per cent complete.
“We have also forwarded complaints and feedback from airport users over the shortcomings of the project so that they will be addressed,” he said.
Lim said there are three main issues to be looked into — the quality of the work undertaken, the level of cleanliness and follow-up action on complaints from passengers, stakeholders and workers.

Penang airport upgrading works almost complete
The RM250 million Penang International Airport (PIA) expansion project is 99 percent complete and will be fully operational by early next year, says Deputy Transport Minister Abdul Rahim Bakri.

He said the ministry was very pleased with the progress, thus far, although there were some delay due to unforeseen circumstances.

Speaking to Bernama after attending a briefing by Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) at Malaysia’s third busiest airport, he said many constraints were experienced during the renovation work as arrival and departure operations had to continue uninterrupted.

In certain areas, renovation work could only be carried out from midnight to early morning but constant security was maintained at the airport.

The expansion of PIA is being funded by MAHB’s internally-generated funds to increase passenger handling capacity to six million people per year or almost double the current capacity.

When completed, it will encompass the state-of-the-art architecture, facilities and interior design to provide better comfort level to airlines and passengers alike.

Rahim said the modernisation project, carried out with the approval of the federal government, would cater to the rapid expansion of low-cost carriers in Asean including Malindo Airways which would commence operations next year.

He said passenger arrival was expected to surge from 2015 onwards when stage five of the open sky liberalisation policy is implemented among Asean nations.

Rahim said the Penang International Airport was the northern aviation hub that handled direct international flights.

“The federal government’s earnestness in modernising the Penang International Airport proves that the Barisan Nasional leadership always honoured its promises to the people in line with the slogan ‘Promises Fulfilled’ which is central to Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak’s leadership,” he added.

- Bernama

The RM250mil Penang International Airport (PIA) expansion project is 99 per cent complete and will be fully operational by early next year, says Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Rahim Bakri. From The Star - Dec 27

taken by Jieloe on 15/1/13
imag2573.jpg

imag2706.jpg

imag2707.jpg

imag2713.jpg

imag2715.jpg

imag2718.jpg

imag2719.jpg

imag2720.jpg

imag2722.jpg

imag2723.jpg

imag2724.jpg

imag2582.jpg

cuma ada 1 mesin scan kat custom.. so kena la beratur panjang...
imag2727b.jpg

150914_10151262449244580_1661605645_n.jp

Edited by jieloe

how many layers the have in their anjung tinjau?

THIS IS WHAT ANJUNG TINJAU SHOULD LOOK

IMG_4348_zps861ee318.jpg

airy

IMG_4345_zpsba893a39.jpg

clear view

and.....

IMG_4346_zpsf5096e18.jpg

plane spotters friendly

other than that, IT IS not that 'IN' to use the word ANJUNG

To me this ain't any anjung tinjau or viewing deck.....where's the view...other than people knocking into the concrete beams

Looks like an attic where you hide stuff. :D

47807707_YeGzAV1UhAz0UxWAfAB-Ni8pRRwKh6O

https://foursquare.com/niessarex

Seems that the old minangkabau roof is still there. Being preserved. I just can't brain this. MAHB ( :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: ), what were you thinking? :help: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

Edited by Fairul

47807707_YeGzAV1UhAz0UxWAfAB-Ni8pRRwKh6O

https://foursquare.com/niessarex

Seems that the old minangkabau roof is still there. Being preserved. I just can't brain this. MAHB ( :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: ), what were you thinking? :help: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

So we have KLIA designed as "Airport in the Forest" and "Forest in the Airport", now we have PEN "Minangkabau Roof in the Airport"

Couldn't find any info on the lounges in PEN (except the Plaza Premium). Does anyone know if MH still has a Golden Lounge there?

Yes they do. Pretty basic and simple - not much in terms of food, but there is a small bar, a seating area and a small buffet. Oddly enough, there's a shower there too!

Couldn't find any info on the lounges in PEN (except the Plaza Premium). Does anyone know if MH still has a Golden Lounge there?

Current MAS Golden Lounge located at Level 3, it's shared lounge for domestic and international.

Yesterday trip to Penang, saw new MAS Golden Lounge located just beside Plazae Premium Lounge now in renovation works at level 2. While waiting my flight back to KUL, chit chat with existing lounge crew and she said as schedule will be open in Jan 2014 if no any delay. Once new lounge operate, existing one will be close.

PEN_MH_zps09c6c3c0.jpg