MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

Penang Airport Upgrading Project

Business Times has learnt that Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) is re-looking at an earlier plan to expand the the existing passenger terminal to spill over to the cargo complex in Bayan Lepas to handle higher passenger traffic.

Sources said the MASkargo complex may be relocated to an area adjoining the Second Air Cargo Complex, which is in Batu Maung.

"The relocation of the MASkargo complex hinges on the acquisition of land, since the plot next to the second cargo complex is now where a ve-getable farm sits and belongs to a private owner," a source said.

The federal government is likely to fund the proposed passenger terminal and work will be carried out by MAHB.

A MAHB official did not respond to Business Times' query if the the proposed expansion plan is in the works.

The existing Penang International Airport is currently undergoing a RM250 million upgrade, expected to be completed next year.

The land on which the current airport, MASkargo and second cargo complexes are sited is believed to belong to the federal government, via the Lands and Mines Department.

The Penang International Airport was previously known as Bayan Lepas International Airport and its current terminal building was built in 1977 and officially opened in June 1979.

Over the years, it has undergone numerous upgrades, catering to users like Malaysia Airlines, AirAsia, Firefly, and Cathay Pacific, among others.

The airport registered the highest growth rate among airports in Malaysia last year, recording a 25 per cent increase with some 4.1 million passengers in 2010 compared with 3.3 million the year before.

The airport offers extensive connectivity with major cities in Southeast Asia.

To cater to increasing demand, a new cargo centre was opened for operations in 2000 with a capacity to handle 360,000 tonnes of cargo.

Read more: Penang airport may see further expansion http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/vamp1/Article/#ixzz1eOJPz5yU

I never realised they changed their name to Penang International Airport. What's wrong with Bayan Lepas Int Airport? brings back memories of the good ol' days :)

Since last year, airport users have had to contend with various levels of discomfort right from being dropped off and picked up, to areas with little standing or sitting room when waiting to board planes.

Come today, the situation can be expected to get messier because the driveway to the departure hall of the airport will be demolished to make way for a wider kerbside, among others.

The works are part of a RM250 million fiscal stimulus package from the federal government to upgrade the airport that underwent its last facelift in 2001.

Malaysia Airports Sdn Bhd (MAB) senior general manager (operations) Datuk Azmi Murad has likened the works to "overhauling a car with its engine still running".

Mindful of the inconvenience that will be experienced till June 2012 when all works are expected to be completed, he has called for patience and cooperation from all concerned.

The onus of seeing a smooth transition is a responsibility of all parties.

Passengers should plan their time well ahead. As operator of the airport, MAB needs to be on its toes to address the operational challenges in all aspects of getting to the airport.

Apart from the obvious need for large and clear signages, perhaps there is a need for more well-trained and knowledgeable airport officers or guest relations officers at all public areas during this time.

It may also be prudent to consider having remote car parks (also known in some countries as Kiss and Fly stations). These could take the form of existing large capacity parking lots or shopping malls and open plots of land. Such an arrangement will need free or subsidised shuttle bus services to and from the airport.

The bus option, while proving to be a gem of a solution in the short term, can become a positive habit for all airport users, even after the upgrading project is done if one wishes to reduce his or her own carbon footprint.

The system can be based on the remote terminal system operated at Kuala Lumpur Sentral, a hit with local and foreign air travellers.

While it takes experience and skill to carry out work at a live airport, airport employees and vendors must be mindful of the needs of the flying public and strike a balance with the profit factor during this time.

Failure to do so would only lend the airport with a "pasar malam" image or bus terminal management system.

Read more: How to ease the Penang airport pain http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/terbangla/Article/index_html#ixzz1fGblmcuD

Surely not!

The renovation of this driveway was only completed at the beginning of last month when it was re-opened. Looking at the date of the article in the link it reads 2011/04/01. Hopefully, the problems that this rebuilding gave are now a thing of the past.

I never realised they changed their name to Penang International Airport. What's wrong with Bayan Lepas Int Airport? brings back memories of the good ol' days :)

Cause Penang is more recognizable than Bayan Lepas, memories are cherished but progress must push forward.

Cause Penang is more recognizable than Bayan Lepas, memories are cherished but progress must push forward.

so,is there any big positives impact after they changed the name? ie;more airlines flying to Penang,etc? nothing change right?

so,is there any big positives impact after they changed the name? ie;more airlines flying to Penang,etc? nothing change right?

"Cause Penang is more recognizable than Bayan Lepas" REQUOTE

Airport Names must be easilly associated with, familiarity must be there. People know penang better than bayan lepas locally and internationally, why also KLIA instead of Sepang only? Your question is you think the reason of name change is for revenue growth and attracting more airlines?? You already have the answer.

On the plus side, penang is steadilly number 2 in revenue after KLIA, there are more international airlines/cargo than other m'sian airports, growth of tourist arrivals,

The airport is being renovated to cater for growth (and that is not because of name change)

Edited by yeadrian

Well this is a national weakness, big on image but small on substance. :(

i think this is more correct statement :)

"Cause Penang is more recognizable than Bayan Lepas" REQUOTE

Airport Names must be easilly associated with, familiarity must be there.

Not really. Most of the airports in this region have name such as Jakarta-Soekarno Hatta,Singapore-Changi and Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi.

agreed. It doesn't matter what the airport name is - its what the airport authority does to attract passengers and airlines. anyway, my question was rhetorical.

there is nothing wrong with bayan lepas airport -> gives the place some character.

BTW, Penang is not number 2. KK is number 2 in Malaysia with 5.2 million pax/year. PEN is third with 4.1 million/year (was 4th place behind KCH in 2009).

Edited by Izanee

In my opinion PEN can be no 2 in M'sia any time if politics wasn't playing too much of a role.

Take for exp the cargo flights into PEN, we have more variety of airlines flying cargo compared to airlines flying passengers into PEN

I know someone in CX Penang. I asked them why no add a 2nd daily flight PEN-HKG....since almost every flight is 90% full......they said its not that CX doesnt want, its the M'sian goverment who is blocking them

Not really. Most of the airports in this region have name such as [/b]Jakarta[/b] Soekarno Hatta, [/b]Singapore[/b ]-Changi and [/b]Bangkok[/b] Suvarnabhumi.

Noticed the city name or the more familiar element in the airport name ?

Simply put - penang has a greater "well known" value than bayan lepas, just easier for the masses to relate to.

agreed. It doesn't matter what the airport name is - its what the airport authority does to attract passengers and airlines. anyway, my question was rhetorical.

there is nothing wrong with bayan lepas airport -> gives the place some character.

BTW, Penang is not number 2. KK is number 2 in Malaysia with 5.2 million pax/year. PEN is third with 4.1 million/year (was 4th place behind KCH in 2009).

Can't agree with you more PEN is no 3 in pax number statiscally but Let's not digress, Revenue is the comparison and not number of passengers(cargo revenue being the main contributor) We know PEN is not comparable in passenger number with intra borneo traffic factored in. But PEN is a hub in its own right, it has more non stop connectivity to other International cities and more international carriers serving PEN than other Malaysian airports excluding KLIA.

Not to sound rhedoric, It takes much much more than just airport authority to attract passengers/airlines.

Edited by yeadrian

In my opinion PEN can be no 2 in M'sia any time if politics wasn't playing too much of a role.

Take for exp the cargo flights into PEN, we have more variety of airlines flying cargo compared to airlines flying passengers into PEN

I know someone in CX Penang. I asked them why no add a 2nd daily flight PEN-HKG....since almost every flight is 90% full......they said its not that CX doesnt want, its the M'sian goverment who is blocking them

If they are not allowed to increase the frequencies,why don they increase the capacity? why dont they use their B744 to PEN?

If they are not allowed to increase the frequencies,why don they increase the capacity? why dont they use their B744 to PEN?

I do not have the answer to this question but my guess is that CX only have enough B744 for them to put it on longer routes which can yield higher revenue

I have seen 1-2 times CX using B744 for special cases in my 3 years of flying with them. Also I think CX is now trying to retire the 744 fleet with the inclusion of more B773 into their fleet

Air Services Agreement between countries sometimes involves agreement on how many seats each airline are allowed to operate into a certain country. So if CX is restricted by that clause, even a 747 won't solve the problem. Basically it's just the protective nature of the Malaysian government that hinders growth.

Air Services Agreement between countries sometimes involves agreement on how many seats each airline are allowed to operate into a certain country. So if CX is restricted by that clause, even a 747 won't solve the problem. Basically it's just the protective nature of the Malaysian government that hinders growth.

PEN Airport runway is not longer enough for a full loading B747

PEN Airport runway is not longer enough for a full loading B747

In case of CX, don't think they will need to fill her to the brim with fuel for hop to HKG :)

Is it? I thought it's long enough?

It is long enough for 747 to land. Many 747 cargo planes come in to PEN.

And some pictures of the expansion

24.Malaysia_Penang_09212EX14.2nb_Final_Apron_Layout_R1.jpg

http://www.leapp.aero/Case-Study/24/Malaysia-Airports/Penang-International-Airport-Passenger-Terminal-Expansion-Planning-and-Design/

pen1.jpg

36263_179291592100950_127235530639890_543741_1300214_n.jpg

POHT3JPJDLIYFKUC15UAMEVPTAWKYW4GBLMAUQQVTQ1P3G0N.jpg

CXQHD3MNVNAIQWT2MUWDMTAH2LB1ETZAIMJSW3YCAI04N521.jpg

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=367496&page=28

Edited by DaTan

B747 may landed in PEN but it is unable to land with full load..(maximum weight)

I believe commercial airliners are not designed to ever land with full load (max weight) - even in emergencies requiring landing soon after departure, extra weight in form of fuel is either burnt off or jettisoned away

Those who know better, please correct me :pardon:

Seems like a nice design though I am whether the roof will hold when it rains......seems like poor design in dispersing water that may be held up on the middle section of the roof...

hi all,

sorry long time not active here, just want to share with all about the current status for Penang Airport Upgrading Project.

IMG-20111223-00029.jpg

new baggage claim area (domestic)

IMG-20111223-00028.jpg

New interior design @concourse area

hi all,

sorry long time not active here, just want to share with all about the current status for Penang Airport Upgrading Project.

IMG-20111223-00029.jpg

new baggage claim area (domestic)

IMG-20111223-00028.jpg

New interior design @concourse area

This must have been just 1-2 weeks old as I pass thru in early December and this newly upgraded area was not there yet....