MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
M N Fairizuan

Air Disaster in Malaysia

our Nuri/Sea King are bought first-hand or 'gifts' from the RAF?

I believe they were bought new....in the late 1960s...!

anyone got infos on the JAL DC-8 which crash during on approach to Subang? I don't really understand the databese on airdisaster.com.

Azuddin

anyone got infos on the JAL DC-8 which crash during on approach to Subang? I don't really understand the databese on airdisaster.com.

Azuddin

It crashed into a hill inside a rubber plantation near Paya Jaras/Sg Buloh area. There was a heavy thunderstorm at that time. A/c involved was JA8051

IPB Image

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19770927-0

It crashed into a hill inside a rubber plantation near Paya Jaras/Sg Buloh area. There was a heavy thunderstorm at that time. A/c involved was JA8051

IPB Image

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19770927-0

thanks for the info. hat link is more useful then airdisaster.com

Azuddin

MGH, F50 TWU incident. Very sad incident. I believe that the official report was human error. Reminds me of a story someone mention not too long ago. After the aircraft crashed at the end of the runway, some of the passenger (probably first time flying), when straight to the hotel to check in, thinking this was normal. Dont know if its a teatime story or real...

If my memory serves me right, i read a newspaper report that one guy was listed as one of the dead passengers. About 2 days later, he mentioned that he's still alive. Reason : After the crash, he went back to his house not far from the crash site :blink:. Anybody can clarify this? I was still young at that time (8 yrs old)

anybody watching new season of Air Crash Investigation on National Geographic? next episode: a captain let his child into the cockpit and played with the controls. anybody has info on that incident?

That was an Aeroflot Airbus A310, flying over Siberia to an Asian destination (HKG if I recall correctly)...

anybody watching new season of Air Crash Investigation on National Geographic? next episode: a captain let his child into the cockpit and played with the controls. anybody has info on that incident?

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19940323-0

The aircraft was en route from Moscow to Hong Kong at 10100m when, approaching the Novokuznetsk reporting point, the captain's daughter entered the cockpit. She was allowed to sit the left-hand seat while the captain demonstrated some autopilot features, using HDG/S and NAV submodes to alter the heading. The captain's son then took the left front seat. The captain intended to demonstrate the same manoeuvre when his son asked if he could turn the control wheel. He then turned the wheel slightly (applying a force of between 8-10kg) and held it in that position for a few seconds before returning the wheel to the neutral position. The captain then demonstrated the same features as he did to his daughter and ended by using the NAV submode to bring the aircraft back on course. As the autopilot attempted to level the aircraft at its programmed heading, it came in conflict with the inputs from the control wheel which was blocked in a neutral position. Forces on the control wheel increased to 12-13kg until the torque limiter activated by disconnecting the autopilot servo from the aileron control linkage. The autopilot remained engaged however. The aircraft then started to bank to the right at 2,5deg/sec, reaching 45deg. when the autopilot wasn't able to maintain altitude. The A.310 started buffeting, which caught the attention of the captain who told the co-pilot to take control while he was trying to regain his seat. The seat of the co-pilot was fully aft, so it took him an additional 2-3 seconds to get to the control wheel. The bank continued to 90deg, the aircraft pitched up steeply with +4,8g accelerations, stalled and entered a spin. Two minutes and six seconds later the aircraft struck the ground.

Some info on the Tg. Kupang crash:

Malaysia Airlines Flight 653 (MH653), a Boeing 737-2H6 registered as 9M-MBD (delivered in September 1972 as 9M-AQO), was a flight which crashed at Tanjong Kupang, Johor, in Malaysia on the evening of December 4, 1977. It was the first fatal accident for Malaysia Airlines, with all 93 passengers and 7 crew killed instantly. The flight was apparently hijacked as soon as it reached cruise level; the circumstances in which this and the subsequent crash occurred remain unsolved.

Sequence of events

Flight MH653 departed from Penang's Runway 22 at exactly 1921 hrs for Kuala Lumpur's Subang Airport (now known as the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport). Onboard were 7 crew and 93 passengers, including the Malaysian Agricultural Minister, Dato' Ali Haji Ahmad, Public Works Department Head, Dato' Khalid Mahfuz, and Cuban Ambassador to Japan, Mario Garcia. In charge of the flight was Captain G.K. Ganjoor.

At approximately 1954 hrs, while at a height of 4,000 feet over Batu Arang descending towards Subang's Runway 33, captain G.K. Ganjoor reported to Subang Tower of an "unidentified hijacker" onboard. The tower immediately notified the authorities, who made emergency preparations at the airport.

A few minutes later, however, Captain Ganjoor radioed:"We're now proceeding to Singapore...". The plane never touched down at Subang.

At 2015 hrs, all communications with flight MH653 were lost.

At 2036 hrs, the residents of Kampong Ladang, Tanjong Kupang in Johor reported hearing explosions and seeing burning wreckage in a swamp. The wreckage was later identified as Flight MH653. No one on board survived, and not one recognizable body was found. The plane had hit the ground almost vertically at a very high speed.

Aftermath

The cockpit voice recorder of the aircraft was recovered, and the following was established:

After seizing control, at a point shortly before the crash, the offender locked himself in the cockpit with the two pilots. From the conversation, it appeared that all tension was gone, and the hijacker was talking amiably to the pilots. Suddenly, two gunshots occur in rapid succession, followed a short time later by a third and final shot.

At this stage, the aircraft was on autopilot and flyable. Noises suggestive of the cockpit door being broken in are heard, along with a reasonable amount of screaming and cursing. No noises are heard from within the cockpit to indicate any of the three occupants were conscious.

The autopilot disconnects, possibly due to a pitch input by someone entering the cockpit and trying to control the aircraft without knowing how to do it properly. An investigator speculated that someone pulled back on the column, causing a pitch up, and that they were doing it in such a fashion that positive feedback occurred, e.g. reaching over a pilot unsupported and falling back as the plane pitched up, i.e. a pilot-induced oscillation. This rapidly developed into a high amplitude phugoid oscillation that resulted in a dive into the swamp.

The hijacker spoke with a Japanese accent, and it was speculated that the Japanese Red Army was responsible for the hijacking and subsequent murder of the pilots.

All recovered remains were x-rayed in an attempt to discover evidence of a projectile or weapon. No weapon or bullet was ever found. Remains were buried in a common grave at the border of the various common religions in Malaysia.

The memorial site is situated at Jalan Kebun Teh, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

Saw this one which happened in 11/9 too!

Eastern Air Lines McDonnell Douglas DC-9-31

The DC-9 struck trees while flying 135m too low and 80km/h too fast. The aircraft crashed 3.3 miles short of runway 36 during a VOR/DME approach.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The flight crew's lack of altitude awareness at critical points during the approach due to poor cockpit discipline in that the crew did not follow prescribed procedure."

Quote from Here

Edited by Min Chun

Guys,

If you want to recall crashes OTHER THAN in Malaysia, please, make a new topic: this is for Malaysian Air Disasters only :mellow: ;)

Hawk 100 = 1

Hawk 208 = 2

definitely wrong!

real figures

1xhawk 208 crashed at Labuan during final approach(latest accident,last year)-pilot killed

1xhawk 208 crashed at Gua Musang during low level bombing session-pilot killed

1xhawk 108 crashed near Butterworth AB after collided with other Hawk-pilot survived

1xhawk 108 crashed at Tanjung Sepat,Kuantan,reason still unknown-both pilots die

1xhawk 108 skidded Labuan AB during takeoff(a/c write-off)-pilot survived

so total attrition

2X Hawk 208

3X Hawk 108

what left to RMAF

16X Hawk 208

7X Hawk 108

Ohhh so sorry Pieter! :unsure:

Oops sorry Pieter & guys!

Sorry for OFF-TOPIC!

no problem, guys, but as a moderator, I've to, sometimes, raise my eye-brows and finger :p

may i know what it mean 100:100??? and if i recall my memory correctly, the crash of the Pan Am and KLM not coz by the radio wave??? or something like that???

:)

may i know what it mean 100:100??? and if i recall my memory correctly, the crash of the Pan Am and KLM not coz by the radio wave??? or something like that???

if related to the topic, 100:100 means total 100 death out of 100 on board. in this topic, we talk about the Tanjung Kupang crash which killed all 100 out of 100 on board.

in some case "+" sign were added if there's any casualties involving the people on the ground (not on board). Example, (NWA DC-9-82 crash in Detroid on august 1987) 154:155+2 which means 154 out of 155 on board and 2 on the ground were killed. (off topic fact, a 4 years old girl is the only survivor of this crash)

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

The KL & PA collision was not caused *solely* by a radio heterodyne. As Nat Geo's SFS would put it, "a chain of events without one of which the disaster would not have taken place".

From Airmanship:

For all who lost loved ones, or were injured, or who were involved in other ways in the horror at Los Rodeos Airport that fateful Sunday afternoon on the island of Tenerife, there would have been a seemingly endless sense of recrimination as they thought over what had happened. There were so many "ifs" - so many small coincidences that need not have compounded to make the tragedy inevitable.

If the bomb had not gone off at Las Palmas, if the PanAm Boeing had been permitted to hold instead of landing at Los Rodeos, if the KLM crew had not decided to refuel, if the PanAm aircraft could have squeezed past its KLM sister ship without having to wait for it to move, if the weather had not deteriorated, if the PanAm crew had not bypassed the No 3 taxiway, if they had not transmitted at the moment they did when they feared the KLM aircraft was about to takeoff, if the KLM captain had taken more notice of his flight engineer's doubt ... any of these factors could have altered the whole course of events as they unfolded.

But no amount of speculation could now change even one of them, much less bring back those who were lost.

Sorry Pieter, had to reply to this one. Maybe someone should start a topic called "International Air Disasters"? ;)

Edited by H Azmal

Sign in to follow this