MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

AirAsia X-ing services to 5 cities

Wonder if the plane can take off with 800 passengers. :p

Wonder if the plane can take off with 800 passengers. :p

With recent poor loads reported on MH and D7 allegedly quitting Europe, the more pertinent issue may be finding 800 pax to fill up the dugong :p

With recent poor loads reported on MH and D7 allegedly quitting Europe, the more pertinent issue may be finding 800 pax to fill up the dugong :p

Should not be a problem to fill up in China.

There is some strong rumours going on that ORY & LGW will be handed over to MH, while the Kangaroo routes will be taken up by D7. How true, I guess I am just like you; have to wait and see it for myself to believe it. :drinks:

There is some strong rumours going on that ORY & LGW will be handed over to MH, while the Kangaroo routes will be taken up by D7. How true, I guess I am just like you; have to wait and see it for myself to believe it. :drinks:

Pls don't do that... totally different market, low cost and premium.... give the customers choices.

Pls don't do that... totally different market, low cost and premium.... give the customers choices.

Well, with the UK flights, there is a lot of difficulty due to UK's APD and the EU's Carbon Taxes. About 30% of the ticket price is now taxes. So it makes it difficult for LCCs like D7 to offer really low fares anymore. It is probably a good idea to quit the EU for now and come back when they have the A350s to improve economics.

If that really happens, it will go quite some way proving that MH is being shafted in all possible manner till her demise :(

What reason can there be to fly into LHR and LGW in London, CDG and ORY in Paris at same time ? Choices for the consumer ? Rationalisation exercise does not sound too rational so far !! :D

If that really happens, it will go quite some way proving that MH is being shafted in all possible manner till her demise :(

What reason can there be to fly into LHR and LGW in London, CDG and ORY in Paris at same time ? Choices for the consumer ? Rationalisation exercise does not sound too rational so far !! :D

Since they are rumours, take it with a pinch of salt.

I think the idea is to reduce London/Paris to Kuala Lumpur capacity. If D7 suspends the LGW/ORY services, MH might be able to better fill its dugongs at LHR and B772s at CDG. This will help tilt the demand-supply equation, won't it?

Taken up or given up?

Since they are rumours, take it with a pinch of salt.

Sound advice :)

I think the idea is to reduce London/Paris to Kuala Lumpur capacity .....

Which will not happen if "ORY & LGW will be handed over to MH" as per rumour quoted :)

Albeit we do not know what frequencies are envisaged - hope they are not planning on LHR on days 1357 whilst it's LGW on days 246 :rolleyes:

Well, with the UK flights, there is a lot of difficulty due to UK's APD and the EU's Carbon Taxes. About 30% of the ticket price is now taxes. So it makes it difficult for LCCs like D7 to offer really low fares anymore. It is probably a good idea to quit the EU for now and come back when they have the A350s to improve economics.

Yeah APD is a pain on the back side... Other than that London itself is also a very competitive market. There are just too many airlines offering flights to the Far East at cut throat prices... The base fare these days rarely makes up a big chunk of the total ticket price, most are now made up of government taxes/charges and the airlines' so called fuel surcharge. pardon.gif

Do note that LHR slots are like gold dust, so MH will be well advised not to lose any more slots!

Especially after selling 14 slots (for 7 weekly flights) to Air India during DS IJ tenure for a few millions, which disable MH to forever offer a 3rd daily flight to LHR again.

Especially after selling 14 slots (for 7 weekly flights) to Air India during DS IJ tenure for a few millions, which disable MH to forever offer a 3rd daily flight to LHR again.

What is there to say they will not sell out all their LHR slots and shift base to LGW instead ?

Will raise a tidy sum to polish up somebody's KPI :D

Also, T/S TF may be in need of someone to take over whatever facilities/commitments at LGW should D7 do decide to quit London town - those are very new investments and cannot be adequately amortized yet from the books, so will look very bad in the P/L

Rational no ? :p

Also, T/S TF may be in need of someone to take over whatever facilities/commitments at LGW should D7 do decide to quit London town - those are very new investments and cannot be adequately amortized yet from the books, so will look very bad in the P/L

Rational no ? :p

D7 has a track record of making swift business decisions and are quite prepared to write off unsuccessful ventures. Those black, non-reclining seats is one good example.

No, it is highly unlikely that MH needs to take over whatever infrastructure that they have invested in at LGW.

I am surprised that nobody here takes into consideration that flyScoot will have also an impact on most markets that D7 serves at the moment.

- despite the fact flyScoot is starting with SYD only this year -

This venture will certainly have a negative impact on the mid/longterm perspective for D7.

And the "tie-up" with MH is not going to help in this situation either.

IMHO, D7's bigger problem is the lack of space at the LCCT. Its expansion is compromised - so D7's most serious threats at the moment is internal. It will not be able to respond to Scoot if its home airport is crippling its operations.

Cutting the European routes will free up some operational slots at LCCT that D7 can use for Asian routes which are higher yield. Perhaps D7 is responding to the Scoot threat in this manner.

Taken up or given up?

Taken up or given up, I see it as the same since they've classified this whole thing as a "collaboration" where both are projected to help each other grow. Makes sense for D7 to drop the route such not to compete with MH on the LHR/CDG run as suggested by flee. As I said, people in the company have been talking about this for the past few weeks so it is not a final decision yet.

I don't see why MH needs ORY & LGW - or why they need to give up the Kangaroo routes. It's not a fair trade!

I don't see why MH needs ORY & LGW - or why they need to give up the Kangaroo routes. It's not a fair trade!

What's the definition of Kangaroo Route? Are we referring to the KUL-Aus/NZ routes or EU-KUL-Aus/NZ routes?

If it's the latter, only the sucker of suckers would exchange for a few flights to LGW and ORY and give up LHR, CDG, AMS, FRA, PER, MEL, SYD, ADL and AKL, some of which are daily...

Edited by Y. J. Foo

I highly doubt MH will give up LHR or CDG. What I suspect is that D7 will pull out of LGW and ORY and give up their market share back to MH. What would be most interesting is if MH adds a 3rd daily service to London by flying into LGW using a B777-200. It's such a shame that MH gave up it's 3rd daily slot at LHR, as slots there are as rare as hen's teeth! There is absolutely no point in MH flying into ORY.

I suppose this collaboration between MH and AK has resulted in the jet services of FY being a casualty (already) and the ultra long-haul services of D7 being a casualty too (potentially).

What's the definition of Kangaroo Route? Are we referring to the KUL-Aus/NZ routes or EU-KUL-Aus/NZ routes?

According to Wikipedia:

The Kangaroo Route traditionally refers to air routes flown by Qantas between the countries of Australia and the United Kingdom, via the Eastern Hemisphere. The term is trademarked by Qantas, although it is used in the media and by airline competitors.

I was just thinking, could it be that D7 and MH may be working out a solution to the LCCT overcrowding by:

1. Leasing the A343s to MH
  2. Let the LGW and ORY flights fly under MH code
  3. D7 is due to receive 2 A332s soon - so can use them for other routes out of LCCT

This is a rather far fetched proposition. It is still plausible, since we are basically discussing rumours! ;)