MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Emirates & Dubai General Thread

If some airlines claim that Emirates (EK) has affected them tremendously, wait until they face EK's LCC offshoot. Exciting news indeed. MH and AirAsia X please buck up.

Dubai to have a new airline company

Mar 18, 2008 - 03:17 -

WAM Dubai, March 18th, 2008 (WAM) -- Vice President and Prime Minister of UAE HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has instructed - in his capacity as Ruler of Dubai - the competent authorities to set up a new airline company to cater for the growing passenger traffic from and to the UAE.

Sheikh Mohammed envisages the new aviation company as a bridge for love and interaction between the UAE and other sisterly and friendly countries. While setting fares structure, the company will be taking the financial and living conditions of passengers into consideration.

HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Head of Dubai Civil Aviation and Chairman of the Emirates Group, said: Sheikh Mohammed's instruction will be put in place with immediate effect.

''Services will be of low cost economically out of Sheikh Mohammed's sincere keenness to ease burden of living conditions of passengers and enable them to reunite with their families and relatives at home, ''Sheikh Ahmed added. Sheikh Mohammed named Ghaith Saeed Al Ghaith as CEO of the new airline company.

Sheikh Ahmed said the new company, which will operate under the umbrella of the Emirates Airline Group, will be an integral part of the group, and enjoying the same advantages like the other group members.

WAM/SA

While setting fares structure, the company will be taking the financial and living conditions of passengers into consideration.

Sheikh Mohammed's sincere keenness to ease burden of living conditions of passengers and enable them to reunite with their families and relatives at home, ''

WAM/SA

The indian sub-continent should be the destinations. Of late, the poor work and living conditions of migrant workers in Dubai have come under negative publicity. So I assume this is one small step to correct this problem.

It's a bit a late since the news was posted on LAWA's website, but any way here it is:

EMIRATES CHOOSES LOS ANGELES AS NEW WEST COAST GATEWAY

DUBAI-BASED AIRLINE WILL BEGIN NONSTOP SERVICE TO LAX ON SEPT. 1, 2008

(Los Angeles, California – March 13, 2008) Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa today announced that Emirates Airline has selected Los Angeles as its new West Coast gateway and will begin daily nonstop service between Los AngelesInternationalAirport (LAX) and Dubai on Sept. 1, 2008.

“I am pleased that Emirates has chosen LAX as its U.S. West Coast gateway and I look forward to the start of service between LAX and Dubai later this year,” Mayor Villaraigosa said. “The route opens a new destination for business and leisure travelers in the Gulf region, a part of the world not previously served from Los Angeles. It will also enable travelers to reach every region of the world nonstop from LAX.”

HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, Chairman and Chief Executive, Emirates Airline and Group said, “L.A. represents Emirates' commitment to the American market. We have evaluated the U.S. for expansion opportunities and have carefully examined our existing services in Houston and New York -- both of which have been very successful. We look forward to recreating this success by connecting L.A. to Dubai and beyond.”

Emirates will serve the LAX-Dubai route with Boeing 777-200LR aircraft, the longest range commercial airplane in the world. It is also cleaner and quieter than similar aircraft, according to manufacturer Boeing Commercial Airplanes. It also is 21 percent more fuel efficient and produces fewer emissions.

The Emirates’ B-777-200LR will accommodate 266 travelers in eight private, first-class suites, 42 lie-flat business class seats and 216 economy class seats. The interior is equipped with the airline's award-winning ice Digital Widescreen product (information, communication, entertainment) now boasting over 1,000 channels of entertainment in all classes and nearly 1,700 hours of video and audio entertainment. It also offers the ability to send and receive e-mail and text messages from the personal in-seat entertainment systems.

Beginning Sept. 1, Emirates flight 216 will depart daily from LAX at 4:45 p.m., arriving Dubai at 7:40 p.m. the following day. Return flight 215 will depart daily from Dubai at 8:20 a.m., arriving at LAX at 1:55 p.m. the same day.

The Dubai service was aggressively pursued by many U.S. airports during the past six to 12 months and Mayor Villaraigosa said the selection of LAX is a reflection of the extensive modernization efforts underway at the world’s fifth busiest airport, and his initiative to re-establish LAX as one of the world’s great international gateway airports.

“Gaining new and increased international service at LAX and LA/Ontario International is a top priority for my Administration because of the added benefits to air travelers and the substantial contribution wide-body flights make to the Southern California economy,” Mayor Villaraigosa said.

A 2007 study by the Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation found that one average daily, round-trip, transoceanic flight of wide-body aircraft from LAX generated $623.5 million in annual economic output, sustained 3,120 direct and indirect jobs in Southern California, and produced $156 million in wages each year.

Emirates Airline, which currently serves 99 destinations in 62 countries, is the seventh carrier in recent months to begin or announce new international service to Los Angeles. It was also the first airline in the world to place an order for the Airbus A380, the world’s largest airliner. LAX hosted two test flights of A380 aircraft last year, successfully completed compatibility testing of its ground operations and terminal facilities, and is expected to host 12 daily A380 flights by 2012 -- more than any other airport in North America.

Man, maybe MAS can form an alliance with Emirates and be linked to the whole world.

No way! Alliance is not an EK thing, unless they hold a share in MH, like what they have with SriLankan.

Congratulation to EK for this achievement. It is no secret that EK is very good in route planning and development. Even way back in 2007, they already firmly stated that they'll announce 8 new routes in 2008 and so far they have announced 4 destinations; Cape Town (CPT) beginning 30 March 2008, Calicut/Kozhikode (CCJ) and Guangzhou (CAN) beginning 1 July 2008 and Los Angeles (LAX) beginning 1 September 2008.

Another comparison, SQ has announced a new route to Houston (IAH) via Moscow Domodedovo (DME) beginning 20 March 2008 and launched an A380 flight to LHR on 18 March 2008, amongst other. So many that this airlines can be proud of.

MH only managed to announced a 3 weekly flight to Yogyakarta (JOG) so far in 2008. Alahai... takpe, busuk-busuk pun flag carrier Malaysia jugak ye tak? Sabo jelah.

A sad note for me is that EK will stop KUL-CGK from this coming winter schedule, while maintaining the 9 weekly flights. This should give KUL more seats to DXB and not share with CGK on 3 of the 9 flights per week.

They will however open a huge new KL office (more than 7,000 sq feet) in July.

Wonder if they'll have Premium Economy like SQ?

Otherwise it'll be really rough.

Nope. EK 77L will feature typical EK Economy Class seats in 3-4-3 abreast with a seat pitch of 31"-32" only.

3-4-3, the sardin configuration! Oh man..

my advice for such a long-haul trip...

make sure you dont sleep the night before the flight. Once you're sitting in your sit...pop a valium.

you'll be out for 12-13 hours straight :p

Oh really? Where is the new office?

Pavillion

OH MY GOD ! In such an expensive place ? :blink:

Ada duit...live a little... :drinks:

Yes, very brilliant as Pavilion is a very upscale shopping mall in a very upmarket location. Those who shop there will possibly just hop in and spend another few thousands Ringgit for some flights. No other airline has done this, isn't it? I mean having their ticketing/sales office in a shopping mall.

.... No other airline has done this, isn't it? I mean having their ticketing/sales office in a shopping mall

MH used to here in KK - that is until the mall went upmarket somewhat and everything here in KK packed up and relocated to one tiny hole at the airport

by the way,

my friend's friend is a MAS Veteran pilot now working with Emirates as a pilot, why? mo money sehhh.... to sHOW THAT some ppl lose interest with MAS now... good one MAS...

No other airline has done this, isn't it? I mean having their ticketing/sales office in a shopping mall.

Yes. SIA flagship ticketing office is in Paragon Orchard Road.

by the way,

my friend's friend is a MAS Veteran pilot now working with Emirates as a pilot, why? mo money sehhh.... to sHOW THAT some ppl lose interest with MAS now... good one MAS...

by the way,

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not MAS' number 1 fan, but i do not go around lambasting MAS with ridiculous comments and filling this forum with downright childish behavior.

If you dont like MAS...good. Go write it on your wall...or print out a t-shirt...go write a song about it if you must.

Just stop spamming this forum with your useless, nonsensical GARBAGE!

sheesh :angry:

p/s: In this day and age..many people move to greener pastures for higher salaries and a better quality of life...it doesnt necessarily mean that they've lost interest in their previous employer.

Emirates is KILLING! Just after announcing LAX, they have confirmed on a new non-stop service to SFO from DXB which will begin on 26 October 2008, using B777-200LR.

SFO will be the 5th new destinations announced for 2008 (and it's only April!!!) and also the 4th destination for the carrier in the USA after JFK, IAH and LAX.

http://www.ameinfo.com/152882.html

Sign in to follow this