MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

SIA Pulls Plug On Self-service Check-in Kiosks

SINGAPORE, Dec 13 (Bernama) -- Singapore Airlines (SIA) has become one of the first to stop the use of self-service check-in kiosks at Changi Airport, due to low usage and the increasingly popular option of Internet and mobile check-in.

Singapore Airlines has introduced the check-in kiosks in November 2006.

The 24 kiosks, which were provided by ground-handling firm Sats has allowed passengers to pick their seats and print their boarding passes, reports China's Xinhua news agency citing local daily Straits Times on Tuesday.

Those with bags to be checked in dropped them off at stipulated counters for loading onto the aircraft. The entire do-it-yourself process took about five minutes, compared to eight to 10 minutes for a counter check-in.

SIA spokesman Nicholas Ionides did not provide specific usage rates, but said that self check-in options via the Internet and mobile phones are more popular now.

The airline expects this trend to continue, he said.

About one in four SIA travelers flying out of Changi Airport now use self-check-in services, he said.

While the airline has stopped offering the kiosks, Changi Airport Group still provides the machines to airlines that wish to use them.

CAG Spokesman Ivan Tan said there are currently eight of the kiosks available. They are used by passengers of Cathay Pacific, Air France/KLM, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines.

Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia also has its own check-in kiosks.

Is this a good move? Hmm.

Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia also has its own check-in kiosks.

Does this mean AirAsia has its own self check-in kiosks at Changi? I thought AirAsia now only offers online/mobile check in and counter check-in, the latter attracts a fee on the domestic flights.

Not sure about Changi.

LCCT has plenty of AirAsia kiosks for self checkin. Must admit that I don't use them as I prefer to check in online. The online checkin is now much improved, and you can check in once you have booked your tickets...

Yes, AK has its own check-in kiosks in SIN T1, just like those at the LCCT.

DSC00100.jpg

I think AK's utilisation rate is higher. Myself for instance has been using the check-in kiosk on all my AK flights thus far (at the LCCT and SIN T1).

OK why I prefer the AK check-in kiosk over the other check-in channels?

1. All my AK flights have been very impromptu in nature, without any luggage to check-in. If you purchase your ticket at the LCCT (like I always did), I think the kiosk is the easiest way to check-in and it is not chargeable too.

2. All my AK flights have been for unimportant events and I HATE the land journey by bus or taxi to the LCCT and a couple of times arrived at the airport in less than an hour before the ETD. So it could turned out that I won't be making the journey at all, thus I decided not to check-in online and only do so when it is confirmed that I am embarking on the journey and have arrived at the airport. By doing so I am also avoiding the hassle of settling the online check-in matter should I inevitably did not perform the journey in the end.

Ok, that's interesting to know... so if one doesn't check in online, there is still a way to avoid the counter check in fee by doing self check-in at the airport?

I thought AirAsia is trying to get rid of these self check-in kiosks too when they introduce the counter check in charges a little while ago. This is what Ryanair does, and online check in closes 4 HOURS before STD.

Ok, that's interesting to know... so if one doesn't check in online, there is still a way to avoid the counter check in fee by doing self check-in at the airport?

Yes, provided that you check-in in no less than an hour prior to ETD. This is because AK's check-in kiosks are programmed not to accept check-in for flights that will depart in less than an hour from the check-in time.

AK has a few kiosks here in SIN in addition to those indicated in the picture above. I presume they introduced the kiosk really is to reduce the cost of rental of the check-in counters EVENTUALLY. Rental of check-in counters here is just rediculously expensive as compared to rental of space for kiosks.

I thought AirAsia is trying to get rid of these self check-in kiosks too when they introduce the counter check in charges a little while ago. This is what Ryanair does, and online check in closes 4 HOURS before STD.

When AK introduced counter check in charges last year, there was uproar because there was insufficient alternative "free" check ins other than web check in. So they suspended that and started to install more kiosks. Once the number of kiosks were sufficient, they reintroduced the charges.

Sign in to follow this