MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

AirAsia to scrap call centre from Mar 2012

AirAsia to end call centre services from March

Published: 2011/12/09

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Bhd is doing away with the call centre service in Malaysia from March next year, Group Chief Executive Officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said today.

He said the service, outsourced to another firm, was not making money and the sales amount was insignificant.

Fernandes said the move would encourage more customers to use the budget carrier's online helpdesk or go to the nearest AirAsia Travel and Service Centre.

"Call centres cannot contain our fast-growing consumer base and their needs. We stopped sales at the centres four months ago and we will cease call centre services by March 2012," he said after opening AirAsia Travel and Service Centre at the KL City Walk, near Kuala Lumpur City Centre.

Fernandes said the call centres received many prank calls and "hate" calls, mostly complaining on the frills-free airline's services. The centres were set up for airfare ticket sales.

The low-cost carrier also has call centres in Indonesia, India, Thailand and China.

"The call centres in Indonesia and Thailand have been asked to submit a report whether there is a need for call centre services.

"However, we will maintain call centre services in China and India due to the absence of an AirAsia base there.

"Call centres are traditional methods the people in the two countries are used to," AirAsia's commercial director, Jasmine Lee, said.

She said though operational cost savings from call centres closure was not significant, the amount can be used to upgrade human capital and boost marketing promotions.

-- BERNAMA

Business Times

What do you think? Not sure if others do that but I for one would not pay RM1.95 a minute just to do prank calls...

Business Times

What do you think? Not sure if others do that but I for one would not pay RM1.95 a minute just to do prank calls...

Kids calling from house phones couldn't care less. Anyway online sale is the way to go.

The online chat service is now pretty good. Why would anyone pay so much to listen to "on hold messages"?

Most probably Air Asia will ask MAS to provide the services since MAS is renovating the call centre in SZB and would be ready soon.

The online chat service is now pretty good. Why would anyone pay so much to listen to "on hold messages"?

yes, i find it engaging too.

I totally agreed with this approches of online chat.

I been using this service in Singapore for product support and efficient.

I think call center that runs (24/7) is important, albeit costly, as assistance can mean making or losing customers/business. It was fortunate that HK Air Asia call center was able to assist me thoroughly when I was put on hold for long minutes by the KL call center last month. My call pertained to online check-in and without the assist of call centers, it would have been a very troublesome task to get the check-in done. I am not sure how effective the online helpdesk is, but if it's good then definitely call centers can be shut down. By the way, since TF is talking about call centers for sales, then I concur with Naim that online sales is the way (with the help of a call center/online helpdesk whenever necessary).

Sign in to follow this